• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I believe my laptop HDD is busted, but I’m not 100% positive.

jfkgoblue

So around two weeks ago I got hit with a Windows 10 update. The update took forever to install and when it did, my computer was really slow. It kept saying that I had 100% disk read for 5 mins after startup, then afterwards it went fine. This got really old fast so I googled the problem and did all the suggestions I found, such as reducing virtual memory and doing a chkdsk r/. That seemed to work for about a week.

When it started acting up again I ran malwarebytes and it found zero malware infections, I don’t download any shady stuff or torrent as well so I knew it wasn’t anything that I installed. I then tried rolling back my update, except it said my hdd was corrupted and to run chkdsk /r again. So at this point I try and reset my computer but keep the files. Failed again. So I tried to just do a full factory reset. You guessed it, failed yet again.

At this point it is basically useless, it will open to desktop after 15 mins, but anything I try to do simply doesn’t work. Chrome opens up but it takes another 10 minutes to load and then it inevitably locks the computer up. So I am 99% sure it’s my hdd gone bad, however I don’t want to spend $100 on a new one only to figure out it is a different issue.

Also I bought the laptop only 18 months ago, and it isn’t a cheap one either (Toshiba Satellite), so the HDD shouldn’t already be going bad. It doesn’t make any loud noises either.

Anyways, my biggest issue is that it is a laptop with a pre-installed version of Windows, so I don’t have an install disc, and to mount an ISO from MS I need a functioning computer, which I simply no longer have. What options do I have to be able to simply replace the HDD an reinstall Windows?

Top Bottom