• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I got served hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moved to a no name town in Texas to help with an art gallery opening

Gallery owner sent me an exclusive contract

I signed it like a stupid ass and sent it back to him by mail.

Now I'm down here the guy is a complete cheap ass, the gallery is not even a gallery, just some hole in the wall he owns that he will use as a gallery so he wont have to spend anything on, no overhead... nothing. the town is like no place, I've been before... it is dead here...

And now he claims to own me... and my Art.

now I must pay him $3,000k, to get out of the one-sided contract...

I am so stupid... This is going to be some great times in Texas :D

Starting to wonder what jail is like...

guess

naz said:
Moved to a no name town in Texas to help with an art gallery opening

Gallery owner sent me an exclusive contract

I signed it like a stupid ass and sent it back to him by mail.

Now I'm down here the guy is a complete cheap ass, the gallery is not even a gallery, just some hole in the wall he owns that he will use as a gallery so he wont have to spend anything on, no overhead... nothing. the town is like no place, I've been before... it is dead here...

And now he claims to own me... and my Art.

now I must pay him $3,000k, to get out of the one-sided contract...

I am so stupid... This is going to be some great times in Texas :D

Starting to wonder what jail is like...

That sucks.
What town?

Socreges

Banned
You're a little too positive for someone who just got seriously boned.

What's your secret? You must have been whacking off while you typed that.

Anyway, hope everything works out for you.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Does the contract contain any kind of quantity commitment?
If so just produce a bunch of your intentionally shittiest work ever and give it all to him, or spread it out over the span of the contract.

Socreges said:
You're a little too positive for someone who just got seriously boned.

What's your secret? You must have been whacking off while you typed that.

Anyway, hope everything works out for you.

Seriously I was very pissed last week so I did not post it.... I came here to OT and laughed at the usual GA threads...

I'm really out of it... this is going to take some serious work to get out of...

edit: it is hitting hard not that I am out of $ and have to find another gallery in short notice
and find sales

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Give a little more information about the contract. Unless he had a lwyer draft it up, it's likely that you can find a way out of it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Additionally do you have any documentation from when he was describing his operation to you?

If you do, and it differs substantially from the conditions you encountered when you arrived, thoughorly document the "gallery" etc and get a lawyer. You might be able to get out of the contract if it was clearly a type of extortion (lied to you with the intent of trying to get you to pay him the $3000 opt out) he obviously doesn't give a shit about your art.

the contract is complete crap...

I am ashamed I signed it...

ARTIST AND RETAILER EXCLUSIVE CONTRACT TO SALE WORKS

This agreement made and entered into on this _______ day of __________, 2004 by and between Greedy Owner Investments, LLC, a Texas Limited Liability Company, doing business as Orleans St. Imperial Art Gallery (hereinafter "Retailer") and Stupid Broke Artist, individual, (hereinafter "Artist") for all Artist’s paintings offered for sale for a period of five years from the date of this agreement ("Works".)

I. RIGHTS AND TERM

Artist grants to Retailer exclusive world-wide rights to sell all painted canvases created by Artist and sold for as long as this contract is in force. Retailer’s rights shall include all direct and indirect sales of painted canvases at any location, domestic or international. This exclusive contract is intended to include all canvas sales of the Artist, whether direct to the public or to a third party or agent for later retail sale. Contract shall be in force from the date of execution and for five years thereafter. Contract will be renewed automatically unless discontinued by the method detailed below. The sales price of each canvas shall be set by Artist, however, Retailer shall have the right to set a minimum price for each canvas.

II. FEES

Retailer agrees to pay Artist sixty percent (60%) of net revenues generated from sales of Artist’s canvases. Retailer shall be entitled to retain forty percent (40%) of net revenues. Net revenues are defined as gross revenues less all direct costs for marketing, promotions, gallery costs, and shipping. Artist’s share of fees are payable by the 15th of the month following the month of collection from sales.

The sales price of each canvas shall be set by Artist, however, Retailer shall have the right to set a minimum price for each canvas.

It is agreed that Artist shall initially receive an advancement of $2,000 for the first 40 canvases to be shipped at Retailer’s expense to Retailer’s gallery in Beaumont, Texas with the understanding that the first 8 of 40 canvases of size 30” x 40” shall belong 100% to Retailer in exchange for such advancement of $2000. Artist may receive additional cash advances at the discretion of Retailer which shall be deducted from future fees due Artist.

III. ARTIST ASSERTIONS

Artist represents and warrants to Retailer that (i) Artist holds all required rights and interest in and to the Works under the terms of this Agreement, (ii) Artist has the right to grant the rights with respect to the Works and their intended use for this Agreement, and (iii) the Works do not infringe on any copyright, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary right of any other person.

IV. TIME FRAME

Retailer shall begin display of works to the public for sale no later than 30 days after this contract has been signed by both parties and payment of the initial advancement has been paid. In the event of delay from causes beyond the control of Retailer, the display date may be postponed accordingly. The works will be offered for sale for five years under normal circumstances.

V. PROMOTION

A. Artist grants to Retailer the right to promote the Works in any manner, including catalogs, advertisements and online promotions. Artist agrees to cooperate with Retailer in promoting the works. Retailer shall have sole discretion with respect to the marketing, promotion, minimum price and discounts of the Works.

B. The Retailer shall have non-exclusive right to use the Author’s name, likeness, and biographical material for the purpose of advertising, publishing, and promoting the works themselves and titles. Artist retains the right to titles or trademarks developed and the Retailer shall have non-exclusive use of same as needed to promote Artist’s work.

VI. LOSS OF WORKS

Retailer will not be liable for lost or damaged works. However, Retailer and Artist shall agree on an insurable value for works held in inventory and Retailer agrees to retain adequate insurance for such agreed value.

VII. TERMINATION

Notwithstanding the terms set out above, contract may not be terminated.

VIII. LIABILITIES Artist shall indemnify and hold harmless Retailer from and against all claims, suits, demands, actions and proceedings, judgments, penalties, damages, costs and expenses (including legal fees and costs), losses or liabilities of any kind which may arise or result from (i) the Works, or infringing the rights of any other person, (ii) from breach of any foregoing representations Artist, and (iii) any misuse by any Purchaser.

IX. OMISSIONS

If any of the provisions, or portions thereof, of this Agreement are invalid under any applicable statute or rule of law, they are to that extent to be deemed omitted and the balance of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect.

X. WAIVER AND MODIFICATION

The waiver by either party of any default or breach of this Agreement shall not constitute a waiver of any other or subsequent default or breach. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties named herein and their respective successors and assigns.

This is the complete and exclusive Agreement between Retailer and Artist and supersedes all proposals, oral or written, and all other communications between the parties relating to the subject matter of the Agreement. This Agreement may not be modified orally. This Agreement may be modified in a written Agreement signed by both parties.

XI. GOVERNANCE

This Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the state of Texas. Each of the parties hereto irrevocably consent to the jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in that state and agree that any action, suit or proceeding between the parties hereto shall be brought in that state.

XII. DISCLAIMER

This Agreement shall not make either party the agent of the other, nor create a partnership, joint venture or employer-employee relationship between the parties. Artist acknowledges that it has no power to obligate or bind Retailer in any manner whatsoever.

XIII. BANKRUPTCY AND INSOLVENCY

If a petition in bankruptcy shall be filed by or against the Retailer, or if it shall be judged insolvent by any court, or if a Trustee or a Receiver of any property of the Retailer shall be appointed in any suit or proceeding by or against the Retailer, or if the Retailer shall make an assignment for the benefit of creditors or shall take the benefit of any bankruptcy or insolvency Act, or if the Retailer shall liquidate its business for any cause whatsoever, this agreement shall terminate automatically without notice, and such termination shall be effective as of date of the filing of such petition, adjudication, appointment, assignment or declaration or commencement of reorganization or liquidation proceedings, and all rights granted hereunder shall thereupon revert to the Artist.

XIV. INHERITANCE

This agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the heirs, executors, administrators and assigns of the Artist, and upon and to the successors and assigns of the Retailer.

EXECUTED: his name XXXXX Investments, LLC

by_______________________________

Printed Name: His Name XXXX, Member

by_______________________________

Printed Name: Stupid Artist

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I am not sure you can make a lifetime contract with a no termination clause

SEE A LAWYER TOMORROW

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Beaumont is a dump. About 1.5 hours East of Houston. Definitely not a metropolis, definitely not a place to have fun. Sorry dude.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
btw, im not well versed in gallery stuff, but you dont have to sign a contract usually do you?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
well.. you can make 40 shit paintings and get $2000 immediately from him..

"II. FEES

Retailer agrees to pay Artist sixty percent (60%) of net revenues generated from sales of Artist’s canvases. Retailer shall be entitled to retain forty percent (40%) of net revenues. Net revenues are defined as gross revenues less all direct costs for marketing, promotions, gallery costs, and shipping. Artist’s share of fees are payable by the 15th of the month following the month of collection from sales.

The sales price of each canvas shall be set by Artist, however, Retailer shall have the right to set a minimum price for each canvas.

It is agreed that Artist shall initially receive an advancement of $2,000 for the first 40 canvases to be shipped at Retailer’s expense to Retailer’s gallery in Beaumont, Texas with the understanding that the first 8 of 40 canvases of size 30” x 40” shall belong 100% to Retailer in exchange for such advancement of $2000. Artist may receive additional cash advances at the discretion of Retailer which shall be deducted from future fees due Artist.
"

as for the rest.. you sound kinda fucked.

sp0rsk said:
btw, im not well versed in gallery stuff, but you dont have to sign a contract usually do you?

No contracts needed with Galleries... dude just wanted to keep me here exclusive to this little town...

Oh Beaumont is a Dump HTOWN but this owner lives in a Huge House in Houston

Comes to Beaumont every few days

Oh that part was suppose to detail a deal we had where he would buy $2,000 for of Paint Brushes and Canvases so I can work on to start with...

I was suppose to get 40 canvases and give him 8 paintings that he could sell without giving me a cut

quadriplegicjon said:
well.. you can make 40 shit paintings and get $2000 immediately from him..

"II. FEES

"

as for the rest.. you sound kinda fucked.

Particle Physicist

naz said:
Oh that part was suppose to detail a deal we had where he would buy $2,000 for of Paint Brushes and Canvases so I can work on to start with...

I was suppose to get 40 canvases and give him 8 paintings that he could sell without giving me a cut

well.. by the way its worded.. he owes you $2000 at the moment. you just need to give him 8 paintings in return..

i think.. man.. that contract is really poorly written.

All Hail C-Webb

Well, he definately didn't write that himself. :)
I don't understand why you're complaing about the town. You don't have to be there, do you?

Unless you really need the money from the sale of your paintings, you have a few options.
You are free to keep painting, as long as you say that you want to keep your art, and not sell it for the duration of the contract, he can not make you. You can accumulate your paintings for the next 5 years, and sell them later.

I'll check some things for you (if it really matters to you), and I can even ask my law proffeser about it next week.

Okay the contract is all worded wrong anyway...

the 2K was for the Supplies I asked him for...

the $3k he wants from me was the cost of Shipping my existing work by FEDEX here to TX
and Paying the First months Rent and Electric Bill... Plane Ticket to Houston.

I had to have a place to live and work for the gallery so that is something he wanted to do to get me to come here to this little dump town to work for his gallery...

So I heard he claimed he owned my existing work the same day the $2k worth of Canvases and Supplies came by FEDEX to my Apt and we got into it... He said to get out of the contract I just needed to pay him back what he spent to get me here...

He made a call and got someone who works for him to bring a Truck and took all the $2k worth of Supplies with him...

so it stands... I am Stranded in shitty town without a JOB with any Gallery and I owe him $3k to get out of that mess he calls a contract

quadriplegicjon said:
well.. by the way its worded.. he owes you $2000 at the moment. you just need to give him 8 paintings in return..

i think.. man.. that contract is really poorly written.

If I could I would take $2k and Paint 8 30"x40" colorful Dicks and Bouncing Balls and give it to him to end the contract...

But he took the Canvases with him as soon as they got here... so even worded wrong
the 8 has to be 30"x40"

I'm in a dead town without a car and money

I got fucked

Particle Physicist

naz said:
So I heard he claimed he owned my existing work the same day the $2k worth of Canvases and Supplies came by FEDEX to my Apt and we got into it...

he has no right to claim your existing work.. the contract also only seems to stipulate future canvas paintings... if you can find a way to get out of there.. with all your shit.. you dont owe him jack..

in fact.. he might have broken the contract when he took the 2k worth of stuff back.. you might want to contact a laywer.. if you got one.. family .. or family friend perhaps?

Sactown said:
Well, he definately didn't write that himself. :)
I don't understand why you're complaing about the town. You don't have to be there, do you?

Unless you really need the money from the sale of your paintings, you have a few options.
You are free to keep painting, as long as you say that you want to keep your art, and not sell it for the duration of the contract, he can not make you. You can accumulate your paintings for the next 5 years, and sell them later.

I'll check some things for you (if it really matters to you), and I can even ask my law proffeser about it next week.

I won't stay in town... I will go to Dallas and stay with a friend until I can find a place

I need to sell some art I just wont work on Canvases for a while...

but yes it is important that I am out of this contract I do not with is to harm me for 5 years

quadriplegicjon said:
he has no right to claim your existing work.. the contract also only seems to stipulate future canvas paintings... if you can find a way to get out of there.. with all your shit.. you dont owe him jack..

in fact.. he might have broken the contract when he took the 2k worth of stuff back.. you might want to contact a laywer.. if you got one.. family .. or family friend perhaps?

Yeah I wanted a lawyer for this but I am Broke... I spent more to get here then he did.
Lawyers cost money...

I do not work on Canvas 95% of the time.

All Hail C-Webb

The canvas issue is kind of tricky.
Does he really only want work that's done on a canvas, does he know that most of your work is not done on canvas? If he deals in other types of art, and he did not only intend for your work done on canvas, then the wording in the contract might not matter much.

I don't see why you don't give this thing a try though. Go wherever you want, make your art, and see if he does a godo job selling it.

*I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to art, but couldn't you consider anything a canvas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom