• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have some questions about the GBA feature on the Nintendo DS

WordofGod

Banned
1. Let’s say I want to play Advance Wars 2 (I have two copies on two DS systems), will I have to use the GBA link cable to connect both DS units together or will I be able to play wireless with the built-in DS function?

2. Will we be able to use the Nintendo DS to play GC Zelda four swords/FFCC? Do we know what the 2nd screen would/could be used for?

3. Does Nintendo have any plans to release a WaveBird type receiver for the DS so that I don’t have to use the GBA link cable to connect to the Cube?

Memles

1. No. Cannot link to other systems with GBA games period. Single player only.
2. No. Cannot link to GameCube.
3. Does not apply.

Memles

The DS can only play GBA games in Single Player; this is CONFIRMED.

There is also no port for the GBA/GCN Link Cable.

So don't sell your SP.

I did want the answers. Maybe the answers I got were not the answers I wanted to hear.

I think his point was that I gave you the answers and you said I was wrong. Not that you didn't like them.

WordofGod

Banned
Memles said:
The DS can only play GBA games in Single Player; this is CONFIRMED.

There is also no port for the GBA/GCN Link Cable.

So don't sell your SP.

That sucks!!! So I have to own two Nintendo handhelds? I was planning on selling my 4 SP's and buying 4 DS's but that just changed now that I cannot sell the SP's.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
As for Advance Wars specifically, you don't need more than one system, so that'll be fine on the DS.

WordofGod

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
As for Advance Wars specifically, you don't need more than one system, so that'll be fine on the DS.

I really just meant head to head titles and forgot that Advance Wars was not a head to head game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You can't play linked up GBA games on the DS. Not sure about GBA games that use the wireless adaptor, though.

snapty00

Banned
Wario64 said:
You can't play linked up GBA games on the DS. Not sure about GBA games that use the wireless adaptor, though.
Not there, either, because to the GBA itself, you might as well be using the link cable (because they both use the same port).

aoi tsuki

Wario64 said:
The wireless adaptor uses the radio technology developed by Motorola which operates on a different frequency band than WiFi IIRC. More importantly, games need to be programmed to use it, so it's doubtful that adaptor-compatible games would work on the DS.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
aoi tsuki said:
The wireless adaptor uses the radio technology developed by Motorola which operates on a different frequency band than WiFi IIRC. More importantly, games need to be programmed to use it, so it's doubtful that adaptor-compatible games would work on the DS.

DS also has the short range wireless Nintendo protocol...

snapty00 said:
Not there, either, because to the GBA itself, you might as well be using the link cable (because they both use the same port).
Well, if the two methods of wireless are really the same, the GBA part of the DS could basically be told that it's a GBA with a wireless adapter permanently plugged in by connecting the proper parts internally. Whether this is the case, I have not heard.

snapty00

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, if the two methods of wireless are really the same, the GBA part of the DS could basically be told that it's a GBA with a wireless adapter permanently plugged in by connecting the proper parts internally. Whether this is the case, I have not heard.
Yeah, but seeing as how they've already said it was "one-player only," I really doubt that's the case. I would've thought that Nintendo would have used that as damage control for the lack of link-cable support.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Memles said:
1. No. Cannot link to other systems with GBA games period. Single player only. for now, look out for a link card for the ds slot.
2. No. Cannot link to GameCube yet.
3. Does not apply yet . A 3rd party is working on something.
fixed.

Top Bottom