• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss the fun modes/features devs used to add to games

cormack12

Gold Member
We really need more big head modes

sKq6hgrVQ6ymmGoPbATLQV.jpg

Sons of the forest

sddefault.jpg

NBA Jam

But there were so many others, what were your faves/most memorable?

I'm cheating here, but having a Jester in your party in Dragon Quest 3 is such a blast, that I consider to be a game mode itself...

For anyone that doesn't know:

gadabout3.png

What are these guys doing on the battlefield? The higher their level, the more they goof off when they're supposed to be fighting! And even when they do what they're supposed to, all their stats except luck are mediocre at best. Not the most reliable of companions...

Pejo

That's because game dev used to be done by a small team of people with a passion to create/desire for the audience to have fun, instead of a huge soulless corporation with a desire to check boxes and minimize cost/maximize profits. I don't doubt there are still people that work in game development that do it because they enjoy it, but it seems that most treat it as a vehicle for slacktivism at worst or just a 9-5 desk job at best.

Like the difference between a local bakery that makes little holiday themed cookies vs. buying your cookies from Nabisco.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I miss cheat codes. Loved having a car with mounted machineguns in Age of Empires, or that one in Jet Force Gemini that would swap the enemy ants with some dudes in underwear.

Devs had more chances to have fun back then.

Last edited:

Frwrd

Cheat screen unlocking after beating the game, among many other types of game modes etc.
I miss all of it, same with couch co-op/online co-op. There doesn't seem to be enough games or at least games with a seamless experience/story around this in a time where we 'should' have all of this shit as "standard".

Type_Raver

Now they would probably paywall these cheats - aka features behind a DLC.
What I hate, is say in GT7, you could buy game credits with real currency and cheat your way to a full garage!
We are robbed of a lot of such fun cheats that could enhance someones fun within the game.

But i do understand that games with online multiplayer components need to maintain a balance and make sure there are no unfair advantages.
No excuse for single player modes, especially single player games.

Traditional god modes, no clip, full ammo, all weapons, level skipping, paintball modes, big head modes.

El Muerto

I remember when i got Hitman 2 and discovered the cheats. I enabled nailgun and no gravity, went to the airport level, used the golf club to knock people in the air, then shoot them with the nailgun and watch them get nailed to the ceiling.

TMONSTER

Remember fat Drake from Uncharted? it was supposed to be in Uncharted 4, they even completed the model but the PC police won out and it was removed.

Top Bottom