• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. Ivy, SSDs, and reading the OP. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but it's good to take note of. I think the 7950 will have better longevity than the 660Ti though.

My current build has lasted me about 4 years or so. I try to build a new one every 4 to 5 years. The 7950 just makes more sense to me. I don't know what I'm paying extra for with Nvidia.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yep yep. Here's hoping.

It's cool.

One last question, pending I use the sticks in the right way, they will run in quad channel correct? I see the diagrams and they have the 2 colored slots on each side so I'm assuming that's where each dimm would go.

I see you already answered my question on the quad thing so that leaves the dimm placement.

Oh and I got my Corsair 500R today. Really nice case. I can't wait to fill it with all the goodness.

nbthedude

My current build has lasted me about 4 years or so. I try to build a new one every 4 to 5 years. The 7950 just makes more sense to me. I don't know what I'm paying extra for with Nvidia.

I was in the same situition just before Christmas. I was going to go Nvidia this time around just because I did AMD last time but I simply couldn't justify the price difference for similar performance.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah the 7950 falls somewhere between the 660ti and the 670 depending upon the game. But AMD's drivers have made up some serious ground in the last six months.

I personally have had a number of Sapphire cards and never had a problem with any of them. My current 7970OC is a Sapphire.
It's actually a little behind the 660Ti still. It'll get to a point where the frame latency issue won't bog down the card as much (hopefully) now that AMD knows how to test their own hardware.
NVIDIA gets you their proprietary stuff like PhysX and whatnot. It's the memory bandwidth and lack of VRAM that makes me leery of it in the long term.
One last question, pending I use the sticks in the right way, they will run in quad channel correct? I see the diagrams and they have the 2 colored slots on each side so I'm assuming that's where each dimm would go.

I see you already answered my question on the quad thing so that leaves the dimm placement.

Oh and I got my Corsair 500R today. Really nice case. I can't wait to fill it with all the goodness.
It'll be in the motherboard manual.

nbthedude

It's actually a little behind the 660Ti still. It'll get to a point where the frame latency issue won't bog down the card as much (hopefully) now that AMD knows how to test their own hardware.

I know this is a debated line. I'm not trying to get in a chart war but it does outperform the 660ti in most games in frame rate and stands toe to toe with the 670. I know that techreport argument about frame latency and I'm not saying it's incorrect but you are also need to consider things like the processor architecture and the amount of Vram. Overall I think it is fair to say the 7950 is the better card and is likely to widen the gap with upcoming driver improvements.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=647

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=598

kharma45

Right here's the craic, actually going to get a budget rig sorted now that my 7770 arrived that I won. This is what I roughly thrown together so far.

Intel Pentium G860
ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Samsung 840 SSD 120GB
Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/z0jt

Pentium G870 has shot up in price so I'm just sticking with the 860 despite my illogical desire to buy AMD. Already got a copy of Windows sorted through MSDN, RAM my brother is lending me (it's the 4GB version of this stuff) and I've got a spare 120GB laptop HDD lying around which I can use to bump up the storage a bit in this PC, as well as a very old SATA 250GB HDD if needs be.

Motherboard you might think odd going Z75 with a Pentium but for the sake of £15 more than most of the good B75 boards it'll at least give me the option to say upgrade to the 3570K or something similar if a good deal came along down the line. The 840 I'm still unsure of, the Crucial M4 is around the same price but part of me just prefers the Samsung.

Lastly the case, I've been trying to decide on this for ages and this is my not so short list, and if anyone has any opinions please help :p

Anetc One, Antec 302, Fractal Design Core 3000, Corsair Carbide 200R, Zalman Z11 Plus or Casecom 6788/Rosewill Challenger.

At the minute I'm leaning towards the 200R but I've always had a soft spot for the Casecom 6788/Rosewill Challenger. The Z11 is another I quite like but what makes me unsure of it is the fact that the USB 3 front IO header is not actually a header but an extension cable that has to be hooked up to one of the onboard rear IO USB 3 motherboard ports.

mkenyon

Banned
I know this is a debated line. I'm not trying to get in a chart war but it does outperform the 660ti in most games in frame rate and stands toe to toe with the 670. I know that techreport argument about frame latency and I'm not saying it's incorrect but you are also need to consider things like the processor architecture and the amount of Vram. Overall I think it is fair to say the 7950 is the better card and is likely to widen the gap with upcoming driver improvements.

Frame rate polls data every second. Frame time shows the time to render every frame. When you are talking about tens of thousands of frames rendered, you're obfuscating a ton of data through FPS polling. FPS metrics are outmoded.

But, I do agree with your last sentence.
Anetc One, Antec 302, Fractal Design Core 3000, Corsair Carbide 200R, Zalman Z11 Plus or Casecom 6788/Rosewill Challenger.

At the minute I'm leaning towards the 200R but I've always had a soft spot for the Casecom 6788/Rosewill Challenger. The Z11 is another I quite like but what makes me unsure of it is the fact that the USB 3 front IO header is not actually a header but an extension cable that has to be hooked up to one of the onboard rear IO USB 3 motherboard ports.
Are all of those about the same price? If so, I'd say Core 3000. If not, go with the cheapest that isn't an Antec and put the money towards an i3 :p

garath

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/550?vs=598

Even though we're only talking 20-40 bucks here, price is another consideration. I got my 660ti oc for 250 after rebate. I haven't seen a 7950 get that low yet. 50 bucks puts me well into my next graphics card in 3-4 years long before I truly put my 660ti to bed.

Zeth

I'm kind of kicking myself for getting the 660Ti over a 7950 3GB. I'v had it for less than a week, maybe I'll look into a switcharoo.

scogoth

That thread hasn't been updated in awhile, so off the top of my head I'd say - Arken, Sethos, n0n44m, Scogoth, myself, Akira_22, and Colonial Raptor.

sk3tch sold off his cards, and Smokey went down to 580s.

So glad to be included in this list. I feel like I now need to get on the GK110 train!

kharma45

Are all of those about the same price? If so, I'd say Core 3000. If not, go with the cheapest that isn't an Antec and put the money towards an i3 :p

Bar the Casecom 6788/Rosewill Challenger (it's £30) and Antec One (it's £35) the rest are all sitting around the £50 mark give or take a few quid. I'll not lie, Antec One does half tempt me too despite your lack of love for them :p

I looked at an i3 but they're around the £90 mark for a 3220 compared to the G860 which is sitting down at £49 which, at least to me, is a fair big chunk of difference considering for almost twice the price you'll not be getting twice the performance.

Sarcasm

So what does the "Your system is low on memory please close a program" and it gives a suggestion what to close or do?

I get this on Tera/WoW/anything like those.

I never got them before til now..I have 8GB of ram.

Xdrive05

Even though we're only talking 20-40 bucks here, price is another consideration. I got my 660ti oc for 250 after rebate. I haven't seen a 7950 get that low yet. 50 bucks puts me well into my next graphics card in 3-4 years long before I truly put my 660ti to bed.

Yeah, that's my thinking too. The OC'd ASUS card we got at the price we got it is the deal-breaker in the 660 TI vs 7950 discussion for me. If we are taking specials out of the equation then I would probably recommend the 7950 to the gamer in for the long-haul, just because of memory limitations probably creeping up before the end.

But in a year or two both the 660 TI and 7950 will be chugging on the next-gen ports, and you'll be looking at the 7xx and 8xxx series and newer by then.

lumzi23

On the first page, my current and first ever rig looks something like Hazards "excellent" if you pick CM 690 II and Xonar STX. Also got Logitech G110, PC 360 and Dell S2440L monitor.

Aranath

I'm planning on pulling the trigger on a rig this week, but I'm a bit torn between two setups.

I was intending getting an i5 3570k, 8GB 1600mhz RAM and a GTX 670. However, an opportunity has presented itself where I can get an i7 3770k, 16GB 1600mhz RAM and a GTX 680 for €120 more, which seems like a bit of a steal, given the price difference on those parts ordinarily.

However, I'm not planning on doing anything intensive on this PC, apart from gaming, which is why I was only looking at the i5 and 8GB RAM. Is it still a better idea to stick with those and put the extra money towards some games? Or would it be worth it going for the other parts?

I'm a little concerned about future proofing now, looking at the rumoured specs of the next-gen consoles. Would an i7 be a better idea to have for the future?

Riggs

Banned
My friend just got a 690, from the power supply he has an 8 pin connector and a 6 pin connector. The 690 requires two 8 pin connectors, so EVGA gave him an adapter from 6pin to 8pin. Is that ok for him to run the card like this or should he buy a PSU with two 8 pin connectors? Just asking for him he was wondering , so far everything is running fine.

Koroviev

My friend just got a 690, from the power supply he has an 8 pin connector and a 6 pin connector. The 690 requires two 8 pin connectors, so EVGA gave him an adapter from 6pin to 8pin. Is that ok for him to run the card like this or should he buy a PSU with two 8 pin connectors? Just asking for him he was wondering , so far everything is running fine.

That doesn't seem like a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's a hazard or not.

LiquidMetal14

Wow lol

The Samsung 4GB 22USD versions of the "Wonder" RAM have already sold out. Good thing I hopped on and got 4 sticks while the gettin' was good.

I went back to check the RAM directory on Newegg and they took Samsung out. Page says sold out/discontinued so I'm wondering what's up with the RAM other than it being in high demand.

LiquidMetal14

I should have bought the RAM when it was $15 bucks a pop.

Unfortunately, I was not in any real frame of mind in updating a few months back when they were on sale but for 22 and their OC potential, I got 4 for 91 and change. Don't regret it for a second.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone on GAF interested in an EVGA GTX 670 4GB w/ waterblock?

Going to pull one out of my system next week. $330 for the card, $380 for card and block.

OJ5Lb.jpg

Here is what it looks like in stock form. I could also install an aftermarket heatsink of your choice if you supply it.

n0n44m

should be OK, though I'd avoid overclocking or running Furmark on it

the difference between 6 and 8 pin is that the latter has two more ground leads ... so there is somewhat more current/stress on the ground wires now

if it's a good quality PSU I wouldn't worry too much, if it's a cheap PSU I'd replace it ASAP :p

Bear

I installed Windows 7 Professional N on my new PC, but the free code they give students only applies to the regular Professional edition. The activation period is ending pretty soon, and as far as I know switching between N and standard requires a clean install.

I have two 1TB hard drives. I was wondering if I can save a backup on the secondary one, format the main one and then retrieve everything from the second drive. I had to format the second drive when I first activated it, and I wanted to make sure that I don't have to format it again once it has been used.

Based on the feedback and the OP regarding mice and keyboards, I decided to go with the

Rosewill Mechanical Keyboard with Cherry MX Red Switch (RK-9000RE)
and
SteelSeries Sensei Laser Gaming Mouse Raw Edition (Rubberized Black)

My last question should I care about mousepads? Are there good mousepads for gaming vs worse or what? I just know my table needs a mousepad to work correctly. Thanks.

Jburton

Banned
Anyone on GAF interested in an EVGA GTX 670 4GB w/ waterblock?

Going to pull one out of my system next week. $330 for the card, $380 for card and block.

Here is what it looks like in stock form. I could also install an aftermarket heatsink of your choice if you supply it.

Question for you, can you install that backplate along with a third party air cooler?

scogoth

Based on the feedback and the OP regarding mice and keyboards, I decided to go with the

and

My last question should I care about mousepads? Are there good mousepads for gaming vs worse or what? I just know my table needs a mousepad to work correctly. Thanks.

I just use wood. Works well

garath

and

Very nice choices!

I use a funcpad archetype. It has a smooth side or a rough side. I use the smooth, it let's the mouse glide right across it. Has a mouse cord clip which is awesome with my keyboard tray. I've had it for 8+ years and am still just as happy with it as the day I bought it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TWX8I0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ceebs

Hoping someone can help me out with a suggestion. I need a switch to go from 2 dual link DVI sources all to the same monitor so that I can switch between them. I do not need them to share audio or input devices though. All I have seen are multi-hundred dollar boxes though. Any cheaper options?

scogoth

Hoping someone can help me out with a suggestion. I need a switch to go from 2 dual link DVI sources all to the same monitor so that I can switch between them. I do not need them to share audio or input devices though. All I have seen are multi-hundred dollar boxes though. Any cheaper options?

Unfortunately switches for Dual DVI have not hit economies of scale and they are techinically harder to make than analog sources so the prices are absurdly high. Does the monitor have a display port input you can use with one of the sources so you can use the monitor to switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom