• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought of that, I did notice it was hotter than usual in my case last night. It idles at pretty much 50-60... and goes upto 80 I THINK on load. Which doesn't seem right at all, unless i'm wrong. I haven't overcloked or done anything else to the card. I'll give the ddu a try when I get home, don't want to risk it remotely. Case and card is essentially dustless, looks brand new still. It's coupled with an i72600k and a few case fans that don't run at 100%.

Do you have a side fan? To blow directly at the card? That can help dissipate the heat a bit better.

Devildoll

For a new build could I make do with Windows 7 instead of 8.1 until 10 is released?

Both 7 and 8.1 get free upgrades to 10, so in that regard yeah.
If you want to know about performance until 10 is released, 8 is supposed to be a notch faster than 7 at most things, but 10 is so close that i wouldn't care.

GAF pls help me!
I'm 99% sure my video card broke. As i run Warcraft i see strange white dots/ starnge stripes/ altered colors. I tried replacing drivers, installed the old ones and the older ones too. Same issue as above. It was a GTX 580 and it was the card i used only for world of warcraft. Now i think i need to replace it, is the 750 ti a good card or should i go somewhere else (not more than 150-160€)? This is my WoW rig

CPU i5 2500
MoBo Asus P8Z68 - V
RAM DDR3 8gb 1600 Mhz
PSU 550W

Thanks in advance!

tl;dr
Does the 750 TI work with WoW and with the rig above?

FlipCup

Neo Member
Hey everyone, I am in the process of trying to put together a nice HTPC Mini ITX Build. How does this look? I am using this as my main gaming computer (1080P 60FPS on a 42" inch TV). I do no video editing or high end tasks but would like to play most games at high settings.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DfgyRB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DfgyRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($62.95 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($323.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Other: PP05-E ($29.99)
Total: $947.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-10 13:34 EDT-0400

mkenyon

Banned
Swap the motherboard with a Z97, and the SSD with something like the Crucial BX or MX series to offset the price if you're working within a budget. I tried to look for a different PSU, but the other good options in that size are all a bit more pricey (CM VSM series, Seasonic M12II series).

FlipCup

Neo Member
Swap the motherboard with a Z97, and the SSD with something like the Crucial BX or MX series to offset the price if you're working within a budget. I tried to look for a different PSU, but the other good options in that size are all a bit more pricey (CM VSM series, Seasonic M12II series).

Like this - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Mini-ITX-Dual-Channel-Motherboard-111-HR-E972-KR/dp/B00K2L5ME6

SSD - http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100-2-5-Inch-Internal-CT512MX100SSD1/dp/B00KFAGCUM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425929269&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd+internal+hard+drive

wotter

OK, so I'm in the process of building a new PC, main use would be gaming (1080p).
I don't want to spend too much, around 800€ (I'm from Belgium).
What do you guys think?

*edit: found a couple of items cheaper, added better CPU, changed mobo to Z97, need to find another HDD...
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 250€
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3 80€
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB – PC3-12800 CL8 75€
HDD: Western Digital Green - 2TB - Desktop 85€
GPU: SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY R9 280 OC 3GB 180€
Power: CoolerMaster GM Series G550M - 550 Watt 63€
Case: CoolerMaster N500 60€

You're putting the entire Imgur webpage inside your img tags, that is why it isnt working,
You need to have the direct image link for it to actually work.

Is it the 8 pin EPS12V that is going across the case like that?
You could just get an extension cord for it so that you are able to run it behind your motherboard.

Why is your graphics card not in the uppermost pci-e slot?
According to your manual, that slot is set to X1 speeds by default and can max run in X4

I am not sure which cable that is, is there a guide to help anywhere? Also if I move the card up that would increase throughput for better frames and fps correct?

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Anyways guys, my computer is basically dead, so I need a new one. However, my university have a rather limited stock, so there is basically between these two for me now. Maybe some of you more tech-savy guys could help me by pointing out which would be the better one, and if any of them can run Europa Universalis 4 (the only PC-game I play) decently?

The first is a normal windows PC, and has the following specs:
HP Elitebook 850 G1, 15,6” Ultrabook
5,6” LED, FHD, SVA, 1920x1080, Antirefleks
Intel Core i7-4600U
16GB (2 x 8GB), 1600MHz, DDR3L
256GB SATA-3 SSD

As far as I can tell, this machine doesnt have a dedicated graphics card, which sucks, but might not matter much for EU4? I have also heard less than great things about those ultrabook-processors, but I dont know.

Then there is the alternative, which is a mac, and I guess I would have to get a Windows-parition on it:

MacBook Pro 15",
Intel Quad-Core i7, 2,6 GHz,
Retina
8GB, 1600 MHz
512GB SSD
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (2880z1800)

So guys, disregarding price - would any of those be able to run EU4 decently?

Pachimari

I don't know where to place this, but I thought this was an appropriate place to do so. I have a Logitech webcam I want to stand above my HDTV, but my desktop computer is far away and it can not reach. So I bought 2 USB extension cables (5 meters each) and connected it all but my computer won't recognize my camera. I have tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

Is that because they are USB 2.0 cables, and that I should go with USB 3.0 instead?

LilJoka

Thank you ricki42 and DD.

Sorry new to the Internet at 30 I guess in regards to imgur. Side thank you for the help there.

As far as the whole build I traded a PS4 for this and I know he had 2 gtx 760s in here originally so, it is probably just the aftermath of that setup and me not knowing that about the board.

I will look into the cable and jump the video card into the other PCIe slot, again I am an extreme novice. Thanks again and thank you to RGM and everyone else who has weighed in on my 20 questions haha.

You wont need to extend that cable.
There is a gap between the part of the heatsink that sits on the CPU and the heatsink fins. The cable can just be routed through this section.

Enosh

heads up that NVIDIA 900 series cards come with a witcher 3 code.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-geforce-gtx-bundle
man, getting a 960 this week and my country isn't on the list although it's usually more of a "stuff gets to UK/germany -> stuff gets send here situation" I think, I'm not 100% on that one for PC parts, it's how it usually works with stuff like games and consoles

I guess sending a mail to nvidia might be worth a shot...

RedSwirl

Okay, I think I need to figure out how to get coaxial working on my system.

Problem is, I don't think my motherboard has coaxial out. I can't take a picture of the rear audio inputs right now, but that link should display them. If there isn't one there, is there some kind of sound card or something I can install?

I'm trying to use coaxial into my Astro MixAmp to get surround sound for games.

Devildoll

I am not sure which cable that is, is there a guide to help anywhere? Also if I move the card up that would increase throughput for better frames and fps correct?

Is it the cable connected to the thing marked 1. on this image?
if so, then you can buy the kind of extension that ricki42 and i suggested.
uFqL5VK.png

the image is taken from your motherboard manual, which if you don't have, you can find here.

and regarding the graphics card, yeah, if the card gets bandwidth starved now that it is running on 1 or 4x instead of 16, you'll get a boost.

Even if you don't notice an improvement, better safe than sorry.

You wont need to extend that cable.
There is a gap between the part of the heatsink that sits on the CPU and the heatsink fins. The cable can just be routed through this section.

He previously wrote that the cable was too short to cable manage behind the motherboard, which is why it is routed like it is.

Edit: oh i get what you're saying now, that he should just route the cable between the gap in the base and the fins, sure, it'll remove the need for an extension, but it isnt optimal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I've been having an off and on problem the last month or so with my new build.

Occasionally my browser will lock up (Use Firefox, but have experienced the same with chrome). And it locks up my whole computer for 30-60 seconds. Always comes back eventually. Sometimes it happens once every few days, other times, a few times an hour.

I am almost 100% sure it's flash causing the problem, but I never had this issue on my last PC.

And ideas?

So I've been having an off and on problem the last month or so with my new build.

Occasionally my browser will lock up (Use Firefox, but have experienced the same with chrome). And it locks up my whole computer for 30-60 seconds. Always comes back eventually. Sometimes it happens once every few days, other times, a few times an hour.

I am almost 100% sure it's flash causing the problem, but I never had this issue on my last PC.

And ideas?

Sounds more like system instability.

I would recommend check your BIOS and try disabling any energy saving feature you can find. That can sometimes cause system to act up.

Rufus

Monitor when it occurs and where. If you're using certain extensions on both browsers, try turning them off. You have to whitelist flash on a site by site basis in Firefox since one or two updates back, so reset that (dunno how to do that off hand, google) and see if the problem persists.
I used to have this issue on Twitter and sometimes Imgur, but it has since magically resolved itself before I figured out what caused it.

Can anyone give advice on a quiet build?

I am looking to get a SLI motherboard with initially just 1 NVidia 980 GTX (but with the option of adding a second for 3D vision performance later if I want). i7 4790K chip and 16 or 32GB RAM, 1 SSD hard drive 1-3 4TB 7200 drices

So I would want a low noise case, PSU, CPU & GPU

I had a silentium case but the fan became broken and a major noise generator after 12 days so I dont want another POS product from those guys.

Gambit61

how high did you try for when it was unstable?

will report back!

I was trying to get 4.4GHz stable with "adaptive" power settings on. From what I saw it looks like the Gigabyte UD5H doesn't like those setting when overclocking. I think I was able to get 4.4GHz stable with a constant 1.3Vcore before. Gonna be the next thing I try. Do you guys normally leave your overclocked CPUs running at max speed/constant voltage?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Questions about monitor overclocking:

I have an Asus VH236H monitor with my pc connected via single-link dvi and a ps3 connected via hdmi, I downloaded the ToastyX Pixel Clock Patcher and ran it, then used the nvidia control panel to setup a custom resolution of 1080p @ 68 hz (highest my old monitor could do with no issues).

1. I tried first overclocking it with my graphics card connected via hdmi and then with it connected via a single-link dvi cable but got the same result both times. For such a low overclock it's not worth investing in a dual-link dvi cable and trying for higher right?

2. Is there any drawback to running at 68hz or should I just leave it at 60hz? For example, watching 24 fps/30 fps / 60 fps youtube videos?

3. I ran the frame skipper blurbusters test, took pictures of the screen, and didn't notice any frame skipping. I also ran the ufo test fine. Am I stable or is it like overclocking a processor where I need to let it run overnight?

4. Since the monitor is overclocked using software and not hardware, that means when I use my ps3 connected via hdmi that it's not overclocked at that time correct?

Just to update this thread - I tried using a thick dual-link DVI-D cable instead but it didn't help at all. Looks like I'm limited to 68 hz by my monitor, not the cable.
Oh well, an 11.77% increase ain't bad. Maybe I'll get to try out a 120 hz / 144 hz monitor someday...

RGM79

Rgm, on my phone so I don't wanna quote your whole post. I only have a gtx 980 so anything around 750 watts is more than enough since I won't be doing sli. I just put in my rma for the corsair I just installed. Thinking about heading to microcenter either today or tomorrow. I'm done with corsair after this one. And I used to like them. How are the evga' s? I stand by their gpu's so maybe it's time to try their psu? I'm still sick to my stomach that after all my beautiful wiring, I'm gonna have to redo it.

Sorry for the late reply. You could save a lot of money then and get a decent 550-650 watt power supply.

So, my current config being 4 years old, I'm thinking about finally upgrading it (only thing I bought in the last 4 years was new RAM).

Current config:
- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
- Motherboard: MSI 770-C45
- GPU: Saphire HD6850
- RAM: 2x4 GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz (Kingston HyperX). I still have 2x2GB @1333MHz lying around, but I don't think it's a good idea to couple it with the other RAM kit right?
- PSU: Pure Power L7 530W
- HDD: 1TB HDD (Samsung iirc)
- Case: No idea
- CPU Fan: the AMD fan being shit, I have a Noctua NH-D14

I haven't really followed CPUs in the last years, and Intel's CPU names are confusing as hell (I'll switch to Intel, that's a no brainer from what I've seen); I had no major problem with my AMD GPU, but I'm open to NVidia
I don't have very high requirements: I game at 1080p, it doesn't bother me not being at max settings, I just want something nice looking. I'm not too framerate sensitive, but at least constant 30fps should be a minimum for the next couple years, at high to medium settings.
On the budget side, no real limit, but it'd be nice to keep it under 800-1000€/$

So, my main questions would be:
- What CPU/Motherboard should I get?
- For the GPU, I guess I'm better off waiting to see the next AMD ones, as it'll probably lower the prices right?
- Can I keep my PSU?
- I'll get a SSD. Anything to be particulary aware of? Also, I guess I'll need a new Windows licence?

1. Country? Any local retailers you prefer to look at? Availability and pricing will determine what we'll recommend.
2. If you want a high end graphics card, yes, but the latest rumor is saying AMD is waiting until June to release their entirely new line of graphics cards. Are you going to wait until then to buy and build your PC, or do you need a new PC right away and will be reusing your old graphics card until the new ones are announced?
3. I'd advise against it. Sounds like a low quality brand, you will probably have room in your budget for a better quality power supply.
4. Not much to be aware of, we'll recommend you a decent one free of any problems. Most likely you'll need a new Windows license.

If you won't be overclocking, it'll be fine to reuse all of your old RAM. It's possible to install 2x2GB and 2X4GB in the right configuration for dual channel, for a total of 12GB. You can definitely reuse the Noctua heatsink as well, that will cut down on costs and it's still a very good CPU cooler, especially for overclocking if you want to.

Can anyone give advice on a quiet build?

I am looking to get a SLI motherboard with initially just 1 NVidia 980 GTX (but with the option of adding a second for 3D vision performance later if I want). i7 4790K chip and 16 or 32GB RAM, 1 SSD hard drive 1-3 4TB 7200 drices

So I would want a low noise case, PSU, CPU & GPU

I had a silentium case but the fan became broken and a major noise generator after 12 days so I dont want another POS product from those guys.

The Fractal Define line of cases with sound-absorbing materials lining the chassis are popular for low noise. Nanoxia also have a decent lineup, but aren't as widely available, it seems.

The MSI Gaming 4G and some higher end EVGA GTX 980 models have semi-fanless operating modes. Certain EVGA power supplies like the G2 and GS models have eco operating modes for lower noise at low load/temperatures.

How about Noctua coolers? Their top of the line NH-D14 and NH-D15 are well regarded as effective coolers even though the fans top out at 1500RPM or less, and they come with low noise adaptors.

KePoW

Banned
It isn't a big overclock, so just this would be fine. I'd recommend going 1 step at a time (try 36, then 37, 38...).

For example, my 3570k (3.4Ghz) OCs easily until 4.3Ghz, after that I need to add more voltage.

Keep us updated! I was trying to figure out the best settings for my 4690k yesterday but didn't get a stable OC. Gonna give it another shot this weekend.

Reporting back -- I'm the complete noob at overclocking with a new 4690k

I read a quick thing on Anandtech and got mine to 4.3ghz at 1.15 voltage

I don't care about running Prime, but it's stable with OCCT and POV-Ray. Is this a decent/safe voltage for a moderate OC?

Thanks for the tips from yesterday!

Drago

Mobo: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
CPU: i5-4690k
Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

What's a reasonable overclock here, and at what voltage if anyone could give me some insight? I'm building tomorrow (yay, finally) and I want to OC right away but I guess I'd like a ballpark of what I should OC to. I'm thinking 4.2-4.4ghz at idk what voltage but I'm not sure if I can handle that or if it's too high/low or whatever.

4.2ghz is more than good enough for Dolphin/PCSX2 yeah?

Is it the cable connected to the thing marked 1. on this image?
if so, then you can buy the kind of extension that ricki42 and i suggested.
uFqL5VK.png

the image is taken from your motherboard manual, which if you don't have, you can find here.

and regarding the graphics card, yeah, if the card gets bandwidth starved now that it is running on 1 or 4x instead of 16, you'll get a boost.

Even if you don't notice an improvement, better safe than sorry.

He previously wrote that the cable was too short to cable manage behind the motherboard, which is why it is routed like it is.

Edit: oh i get what you're saying now, that he should just route the cable between the gap in the base and the fins, sure, it'll remove the need for an extension, but it isnt optimal.

Yes it is that cable and that connection from the power supply to board, and I got a 25fps boost in Metal Gear Solid GZ on all extra high settings at 1080p and a solid 55-60fps...

I will look into getting that extension when I scoop up the CM evo 212.

Thanks again!

Really appreciate it

DoT2

Got a quick question, would the asus strix 980 fit into the r5 define without moving anything around? Also will the 2 stock fan placements of the r5 define be enough as long as no oc'ing is involved? Thanks pc gaf!

KePoW

Banned
Got a quick question, would the asus strix 980 fit into the r5 define without moving anything around? Also will the 2 stock fan placements of the r5 define be enough as long as no oc'ing is involved? Thanks pc gaf!

I literally just built a R5 Define with an Strix 980. Yes to both questions!

OraleeWey

Alright guys. So I'll have everything by Thursday and I have many questions. Mostly questions regarding building my rig. Just keep in mind which parts I have when answering my questions. I'll list them below.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($181.44 @ Adorama)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($278.99 @ NCIX US)

Alright, let's begin.

Firstly, when installing the CPU cooler, should I do that out side the case, or install it while the motherboard is in the case?

Should I keep the intake/exhaust the same as it already is on my case? For example, fix the CPU Cooler fans the same way the case fans are facing?

How much thermal compound should I apply? Does it matter?

If there is an order I should install things first, let me know. For example, I know I should install the RAM before the CPU Cooler since it will block the RAM.

I think my motherboard has marked A1B1A2B2. I should put the RAM on A1 and B1, correct?

Any other tips you can give me please let me know!

Let's talk keyboard and mouse. If possible I'd like to get these from Best Buy or Micro Center if they have them there. At the moment I just need something that is cheap and works just as well. What are your recommendations? I have big hands BTW.

I'm also thinking I need dust filters. I read somewhere the Air 540 doesn't have any. Where can I find those?

And finally, I dont have a DVD drive. So what do I need on my USB after the build is done? I'm planning on using windows 8.1.

Thanks to anyone who helps me! I appreciate the help.
Especially like to thank mkenyon and RGM79.Both of them suggested this rig for me based on my budget and specifications. Thank you both!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Alright guys. So I'll have everything by Thursday and I have many questions. Mostly questions regarding building my rig. Just keep in mind which parts I have when answering my questions. I'll list them below.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BL 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($49.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($181.44 @ Adorama)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($278.99 @ NCIX US)

Alright, let's begin.

Firstly, when installing the CPU cooler, should I do that out side the case, or install it while the motherboard is in the case?
Outside
Should I keep the intake/exhaust the same as it already is on my case? For example, fix the CPU Cooler fans the same way the case fans are facing?
Yes
How much thermal compound should I apply? Does it matter?
1-2 rice grains / small pea / check 2nd post videos for build videos

I think my motherboard has marked A1B1A2B2. I should put the RAM on A1 and B1, correct?
check mobo manual

Let's talk keyboard and mouse. If possible I'd like to get these from Best Buy or Micro Center if they have them there. At the moment I just need something that is cheap and works just as well. What are your recommendations? I have big hands BTW.
Best Buy / Staples should have a cheap USB Logitech / MS keyboard and mice to try. Can get one that fits your hand well enough (IIRC Staples usually has some opened)

I'm also thinking I need dust filters. I read somewhere the Air 540 doesn't have any. Where can I find those?

And finally, I dont have a DVD drive. So what do I need on my USB after the build is done? I'm planning on using windows 8.1.
USB .iso utility should be in 1st or 2nd post

Thanks to anyone who helps me! I appreciate the help.
Especially like to thank mkenyon and RGM79.Both of them suggested this rig for me based on my budget and specifications. Thank you both!
In Bold

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I see thanks! Any tips to give? Problems I might face that I want to avoid?
Touch PSU for static.
When you grab a cable think about where it goes and where the other end goes.
Locking the CPU in place will probably scare you so make 500% sure it's in correctly (Arrow in corner).
Install standoffs for mobo, don't forget 24 and 8 pin power for mobo.

Should be just about it.

The Llama

You'll probably need to apply a little force to close the latch on the CPU (if that makes no sense to you right now, you'll understand when it happens). You'll also need to use a little force to get the RAM all the way in.

OraleeWey

Touch PSU for static.
When you grab a cable think about where it goes and where the other end goes.
Locking the CPU in place will probably scare you so make 500% sure it's in correctly (Arrow in corner).
Install standoffs for mobo, don't forget 24 and 8 pin power for mobo.

Should be just about it.

You'll probably need to apply a little force to close the latch on the CPU (if that makes no sense to you right now, you'll understand when it happens). You'll also need to use a little force to get the RAM all the way in.

Thanks a bunch guys!! Feeling better and better building this thing. Ill probably start Thursday, or more likely friday.

Th3Gr80n3

Neo Member
Hello everyone. I've finally decided to jump in and build my own PC. Below is what I've come up so far. I've been really torn between the GTX 970 and 980 so if you guys can advise me between the two and the rest of the parts I picked before I buy them, I'd really appreciate it. I'm planning to use this mostly for gaming with an ultra wide 1440p monitor. Thanks in advance for the help!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1182.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-11 02:54 EDT-0400

Looks like AMD is going to lead with the 370/370X: http://videocardz.com/55051/xfx-radeon-r9-370-core-edition-leaks-out-coming-early-april

256-bit bus, 2GB or 4GB VRAM configuration. With a single 6-pin connector, this puts it in the ballpark of a 960 power-consumption wise. Since AMD hasn't broken the laws of physics since I last checked, performance should be similar too (roughly, at least).

Should be interesting to see how it slots in. If you're in the market for a video card in this price/performance bracket, you should maybe wait a month to see what the market looks like after this drops!

I could see cheap 280s and 280Xs happening for those strapped for cash and don't mind the older hardware, they're still really fast GPUs. So if you're looking for something below this price bracket, you should maybe wait a month too?

NEO0MJ

Hello everyone. I've finally decided to jump in and build my own PC. Below is what I've come up so far. I've been really torn between the GTX 970 and 980 so if you guys can advise me between the two and the rest of the parts I picked before I buy them, I'd really appreciate it. I'm planning to use this mostly for gaming with an ultra wide 1440p monitor. Thanks in advance for the help!

I feel that you need more storage. Considering how large games are getting that will barely fit 8 Wolfenstien TNO sized games.

RGM79

I assume you have a $1200 budget? You didn't list any storage drives except for the SSD, are you reusing existing hard drives?

Given the GTX 970's memory issues, I'd recommend an R9 290/290X instead which has similar performance for a much lower price. The GTX 980 isn't that great for cost to performance either, but at least the GTX 980 doesn't have VRAM issues and has a bit extra oomph for 1440p gameplay.

When do you plan to buy and build the PC? New high end AMD graphics cards are now rumored for a June release, even if you don't plan to buy AMD, it'd give Nvidia some competition and hopefully some price cuts.

If you don't mind compromising on a few things, I think it's possible to get a decent $1200 build with a GTX 980. You didn't say why you needed an i7 processor, so I bumped it down to the i5 which offers near identical performance in most games, they are both very similar quad core overclocking processors, the only difference is a slight clock speed difference and hyperthreading. This build has the option for SLI in the future should it be needed.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($222.75 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.61 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($60.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($554.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1197.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-11 04:16 EDT-0400

Can anyone suggest a replacement for a Hitachi HUA721010KLA330 1TB 3.5 inch Edition SATA Hard Drive (£46) in the same price range? I've tried the one I got a few days ago with two different power supplies and the computer just won't turn on when it's connected

Edit: I'm trying to boot windows and the new hard drive probably won't be here for a few days, is there anything I can do in the meantime?

H4r4kiri

So my MSi 290 finally arrived and I installed it. Of Course I wanted to test it with my systems and did a 3dMark Fire Strike Benchmark. Here the results:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6191875

Is that good or is there something odd or off ? I have no idea about these numbers and stuff. I just saw that my Ram work at 667Hz, which is pretty weird isn't it ?

FlipCup

Neo Member
All,

Here is my final Mini ITX Build that will be used as an HTPC and for gaming. I am pulling the trigger today and going to build this weekend. Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vcBRhM
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vcBRhM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($63.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Cooler Master VS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $846.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-11 07:28 EDT-0400

So my MSi 290 finally arrived and I installed it. Of Course I wanted to test it with my systems and did a 3dMark Fire Strike Benchmark. Here the results:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6191875

Is that good or is there something odd or off ? I have no idea about these numbers and stuff. I just saw that my Ram work at 667Hz, which is pretty weird isn't it ?

Looks about right. There might be a reason your ram speed is borked.

All,

Here is my final Mini ITX Build that will be used as an HTPC and for gaming. I am pulling the trigger today and going to build this weekend. Thoughts?

Are you trying to save a ram slot? And why is there no price for your PSU choice? For the mobo, I would rather put out another 8 bucks and get this gigabyte one.
Other than that it looks great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom