• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I need a program that shuts down windows as soon as the CPU reaches a certain temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

So that I don't have to worry about CPU fan failure, I want a prog that automatically forces my PC to shutdown. MBM5 has the option, but you need another program (shareware), and before it shuts down it asks you if you want to ignore the error, or proceed with the shutdown... it kind of defeats the purpose.

I want a program that automatically, without asking me, forces a shutdown when the CPU hits a certain temperature. Anything out there?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i once decided to take off the heatsink on an athlon and turn it on.

the noise it made will give me nightmares for years to come.

Willco

Hollywood Square
DopeyFish said:
i once decided to take off the heatsink on an athlon and turn it on.

the noise it made will give me nightmares for years to come.

What prompted this CPU suicide?

Diablos

Nope, I can't do anything in BIOS. Asus claims my board has C.O.P. (CPU overheating protection), but last month when the CPU fan died its temp was about 210 degrees farenheit (or 99 degrees celcius), and it was like this for a good 10 minutes or so, thankfully I realized the case was a bit too quiet for all fans to be working. C.O.P. is supposed to comply with the AMD's rule of 95C being the highest Athlon XP CPU's should operate. Apparently this is not the case. I'd like to think that such a temperature would be considered extremely hot and the motherboard would've known to instantly shut down... but no.

DopeyFish

Willco said:
What prompted this CPU suicide?

my motherboard wasn't working and was in the process of putting together a new computer so i decided to take a break and have some fun! though the little puff of smoke that came from the core burning up just seemed so.... undramatic considering the ravaging screams it put me through seconds earlier.

DopeyFish

Diablos said:
Nope, I can't do anything in BIOS. Asus claims my board has C.O.P. (CPU overheating protection), but last month when the CPU fan died its temp was about 210 degrees farenheit (or 99 degrees celcius), and it was like this for a good 10 minutes or so, thankfully I realized the case was a bit too quiet for all fans to be working. I'd like to think that such a temperature would be considered extremely hot and the motherboard would've known to instantly shut down... but no.

um, CPUs can't operate at that temperature afaik :|

fart

Savant
motherboard monitor, speedfan, check your motherboard manufacturer for a utility that reads the sensor chip if these don't support your board

Diablos

nm, I got it working.

The latest version of MBM must have a bug... every time it starts up it says "can't load driver" or something like that a bunch of times. Even after uninstalling and then reinstalling.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
for future reference there is a program called buzzoff that you can set up to automatically push buttons of warning and error messages for you. So you could have had it set to automatically pick "I want to shut down" every time it prompted you if you wanted to with that older program.

just a neat program in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom