• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think DualSense deserves to be treated more like it's own subplatform

nowhat

I like the dualsense but its no wiimote
...thankfully so? Wiimote works well enough with Metroid Prime 3, but try it with Okami - it's so imprecise. DS motion controls are not my favorite thing ever, but they're much better than what Wiimote offered, accelerometers have come a long way. What WiiMote essentially was, when it came to the pointer functionality, was that the controllers had a VGA camera with an IR filter in front of it. That tried to track two IR light sources - you didn't need the "sensor bar" for it, two candles would do the trick. But the resolution was VGA, which is to say, not that precise.

ap_puff

...thankfully so? Wiimote works well enough with Metroid Prime 3, but try it with Okami - it's so imprecise. DS motion controls are not my favorite thing ever, but they're much better than what Wiimote offered, accelerometers have come a long way. What WiiMote essentially was, when it came to the pointer functionality, was that the controllers had a VGA camera with an IR filter in front of it. That tried to track two IR light sources - you didn't need the "sensor bar" for it, two candles would do the trick. But the resolution was VGA, which is to say, not that precise.
Yes the tech is much better than the wiimote but the form factor makes it weird to make it a "platform" like OP suggests. Something like the PSVR2 controllers would be much more suitable imo, I'd like the PS6 controllers to be independent and have touch capacitive sensors like the touch bar in the dualsense on both sides. I think we are due for an improvement in input methodology beyond mouse+keyboard/controller and I think touch capacitive technology can get us there, but the placement on the dualsense makes it awkward.

Wonko_C

They don't even treat what legitimately is not only another platform, but a whole new medium (PSVR2) like a red-headed step-child. a bunch of features on a controller are not likely going to gain any traction.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
hold-your-horses-horse.gif

RCU005

I hate that people HATED (yes, in past tense) motion controls. By now motion controls should be something completely standard in every game. Of course some games would use it for gimmicky stuff, but there are many great uses for motion, the biggest one being motion aiming.

I remember people crying about LAIR when it released on PS3. The controls worked extremely well, but people were upset, but the problem was with the game, not the controls! Warhawk used it beautifully! Motorstorm was awesome with full motion driving. SIXAXIS worked 10x better than the Wiimote, and could be implemented in more ways than just causal stuff.

With that said, the Dualsense has amazing features. The vibration is amazing when used it properly. I noticed that the light is no longer used for anything on the Dualsense, but I liked it as a player number with different colors on the DS4, not so much as health or stuff because you don't really look at the controller at all when playing. Also, the trackpad is a wasted potential, 99% is just a huge button and the other 1% is not even used correctly. The very few games that used it well, is great.

Other thing I also hate, is that the back buttons are now a thing for $200 pro controllers thanks to stupid greedy Microsoft with their Elite. Those back buttons should've been a normal evolution like LR, and L3 & R3.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well its bundled with the console itself, there isn't any other way (1st party options) how to control PS5, so why it would be a subplatform?

it was marginally better than the Wii Motion Plus remotes, and only due to the fact that the camera knew the position of the controller.

barely any game used that aspect however
Actually there are several games that made use of PS Move, though most had support as opposed to being designed for the controller.

I've spent way more time with Sports Champions 1+2 than Wii Sports, which felt more like a tech demo than an actual game.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I hate that people HATED (yes, in past tense) motion controls. By now motion controls should be something completely standard in every game. Of course some games would use it for gimmicky stuff, but there are many great uses for motion, the biggest one being motion aiming.

I remember people crying about LAIR when it released on PS3. The controls worked extremely well, but people were upset, but the problem was with the game, not the controls! Warhawk used it beautifully! Motorstorm was awesome with full motion driving. SIXAXIS worked 10x better than the Wiimote, and could be implemented in more ways than just causal stuff.

With that said, the Dualsense has amazing features. The vibration is amazing when used it properly. I noticed that the light is no longer used for anything on the Dualsense, but I liked it as a player number with different colors on the DS4, not so much as health or stuff because you don't really look at the controller at all when playing. Also, the trackpad is a wasted potential, 99% is just a huge button and the other 1% is not even used correctly. The very few games that used it well, is great.

Other thing I also hate, is that the back buttons are now a thing for $200 pro controllers thanks to stupid greedy Microsoft with their Elite. Those back buttons should've been a normal evolution like LR, and L3 & R3.

PC is where these stuffs shine. You can customize how they work, such as adding gyro to games without native gyro like God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2.

If you want back buttons, get the microsoft licensed 8bitdo controllers

Last edited:

kevboard

Actually there are several games that made use of PS Move, though most had support as opposed to being designed for the controller.

I've spent way more time with Sports Champions 1+2 than Wii Sports, which felt more like a tech demo than an actual game.

yeah. Sports Champions was one of the very few games that made good use of the positional awareness of the controllers. which was the one thing that the Move had over Wii Motion Plus.

most other games just did Wii Remote stuff sadly. either just replacing a button with a gesture, or pointing at things.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Agreed. Have teams dedicate games to the controller so you can sell more custom controllers. The amount of money Sony makes off those controllers is nuts.

mrcroket

It's a very overrated controller, the "sense vibration" is barely distinguishable from the "classic" vibration and adds nothing, the triggers suck, it has a horrible feel and the fact that they can be tightened only serves to make them feel even worse, the sticks develop drift just by looking at them and the battery is a piece of crap.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
It's a very overrated controller, the "sense vibration" is barely distinguishable from the "classic" vibration and adds nothing, the triggers suck, it has a horrible feel and the fact that they can be tightened only serves to make them feel even worse, the sticks develop drift just by looking at them and the battery is a piece of crap.
I'm so glad Sony increased the price, then.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I like the controller a whole lot, but it pisses me off when games don’t use it well. I’m playing Black Myth: Wukong and it doesn’t use any of its features. Going from Hogwarts and Astro Bot to it really sucks.

Last edited:

ap_puff

...I don't think this would be popular.
I think they should adopt the PSVR2 controller design, but instead of a ring encircling the wrist it would be like the detachable switch controller fobs, that hook onto a central pad. Except the central pad wouldnt be a screen, just a bar to hold an extended battery and provide a normal controller layout.
wp6pNE1.jpeg

Top Bottom