• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If Steam(Half Life 2) succeeds...

DSN2K

what will it mean to the industry ? are publishers eventually doomed ? would more PC developers opted for this sort of system bypassing the middle man and taking all the spoils ?.

I wonder if Valve have plans to license Steam out.....

Mrbob

Well, Steam is the goal Sony eventually wants to get too.

As connections get fasters, we'll be able to get gigabyte games in matters of minutes. Hell, some lucky people can do that right now. Future of the industry. Also, steam isn't the only service to let you buy full versions of games and let you download them. I'm starting to notice this pop up at a couple of gaming download sites.

Slo

Couple of thoughts:

1) People who want to "support the developers" should love steam. More of your money goes to the people making the game, rather then the retailers and the packaging/marketing guys.

2) If Valve licenses Steam to other game developers, won't Steam just replace publishers as the middlemen, thus defeating my first thought?

If it was PC games I wouldn't care one way or the other, but I want actual physical copies of my console games that I can smell and taste.

snapty00

Banned
1.) Many people, especially if they're going to pay over $30 for a game, want a hard copy straight from the manufacturer.

2.) Piracy is already popular, but if downloading games becomes popular too, piracy is going to absolutely skyrocket. It makes it that much easier to pirate games, despite anti-piracy measures taken. One of the best measures against GameCube piracy, for example, is that the disc itself is difficult to copy. Physical protection goes a long ways in stopping casual piracy.

3.) How exactly would distribution take place? Will there be 200 sites/programs like Steam eventually? You can't expect consumers to go to 200 places to get games.

4.) And if there were 200 places like Steam, that would probably lead to someone making a "central" site for games, and that organization would likely charge royalties just like current publishers do -- elminating one of the main current advantages of Steam.

5.) If something like Steam took over, even more shitty games would be released. A lot of people complain about low-budget games now, but they'd explode in number if Steam became popular, since the cost of distribution would be lower. A few gems might come from it, but a lot more shit would be released.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Slo said:
Couple of thoughts:

1) People who want to "support the developers" should love steam. More of your money goes to the people making the game, rather then the retailers and the packaging/marketing guys.

2) If Valve licenses Steam to other game developers, won't Steam just replace publishers as the middlemen, thus defeating my first thought?

Yeah, thats cool in my book,
however I would want a minor 10 - 20% discount off the retail price since I get no packaging.

swoon

the market would also shrink. companies would have to spend more money advertising through web based solutions, which is pretty ineffective. the good thing about boxed copies is that more people "see" the game, the problem isn't distro. but marketing. game companies are falling over themselves trying to market a product, so instead of learning about the market they are just going to do their own thing and alienate everyone in the process.

Yusaku

Isn't Valve gonna try and have other developers publish their games over Steam too? I got HL2 pre-loaded, and I'm sure I'll buy it over Steam just because I'm lazy.

Uh, swoon, why would they use a less effective method of marketing just because a game is downloadable? Almost no PC games are advertised on TV, anyways.

Also, from what I've read, Vivendi gets paid regardless of whether you buy over Steam or in-stores. So there's not much to the "support the developers" argument.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Vivendi isn't going to make money off steam HL2 sales unless they win their countersuit and get back the Half-Life IP. Valve's a self-funded company.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
There already are sites were you can download games instead of going to the store (not piracy i mean paying for them), its popular for MMORPGs and stuff. It wont do away with publishers at all because without publishers, who will pay to make the game? There wont be many devs who have a big enough reputation to get funding from outside sources (valve is definitely not a typical developer in terms of the revenue they control).

I think this kind of thing is something the PC market will start moving towards more and more now though, its great for the PC because it ensures a world wide release. Consoles are probably gonna take a couple more generations.

swoon

Yusaku said:
Isn't Valve gonna try and have other developers publish their games over Steam too? I got HL2 pre-loaded, and I'm sure I'll buy it over Steam just because I'm lazy.

Uh, swoon, why would they use a less effective method of marketing just because a game is downloadable? Almost no PC games are advertised on TV, anyways.

Also, from what I've read, Vivendi gets paid regardless of whether you buy over Steam or in-stores. So there's not much to the "support the developers" argument.

why would stores promote titles if they aren't getting money to do so? that leaves internet, which is shakey at best and niche magazines. which may be find, but it's not the most effective use of marketing and if its not the most effective use of marketing why do it? there would have to be a great great incentive for the distro companies to go 'net only, to make up for lower sells, which i'm sure it won't. smaller developing companies aren't going to be able to afford to host the bandwidth needed, thus they'll have to get a distro companies which defeats any benefits the net would provide for smaller companies getting their games out.

element

It is highly doubtful that an independent developer could bank roll such a project like Steam. Valve can do it because they are one of the wealthiest independent developers in the world.

snapty00 said:
1.) Many people, especially if they're going to pay over $30 for a game, want a hard copy straight from the manufacturer.
The same was said about iTunes when it came out, that it wouldn't catch on since the user got 'data' not a disc. But iTuens have proven that people don't mind buying 'data' and not getting a hardcopy of the product.
2.) Piracy is already popular, but if downloading games becomes popular too, piracy is going to absolutely skyrocket. It makes it that much easier to pirate games, despite anti-piracy measures taken. One of the best measures against GameCube piracy, for example, is that the disc itself is difficult to copy. Physical protection goes a long ways in stopping casual piracy.
well considering how difficult it was to play Counterstrike Source without buying CSZ. Valve has done a pretty good job.
5.) If something like Steam took over, even more shitty games would be released. A lot of people complain about low-budget games now, but they'd explode in number if Steam became popular, since the cost of distribution would be lower. A few gems might come from it, but a lot more shit would be released.
there are tons of shitty games already. While their might be an easier way for them to get to the user, it doesn't mean people would buy them.

Ferrio

Banned
Not having a hardcopy doesn't bother me at all. Hell, I like it better this way. Steam allows me to no have the disk for a game I own, but at any time if I want to play I can download the game and go at it.

My HL disk is long gone, but I still have my steam account. So as long as the service will be up for a good amount of time, I actually like it better this way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Society said:
Well now you have a legitimate reason to burn games to cdr/dvdr. ;)

No no no, I mean I want actual packaging with boxes, manuals, and cases. CDRs do not make for good replacements...

Considering I think collecting of anything is a waste, this idea sucks IMO. Probably be something stupid like 5 or 10 dollars cheaper and be a non-transferable transaction. Games are over-priced as it is, we don't need to be paying those prices for what are essentially rentals.

Hooker

ravingloon said:
Considering I think collecting of anything is a waste, this idea sucks IMO. Probably be something stupid like 5 or 10 dollars cheaper and be a non-transferable transaction. Games are over-priced as it is, we don't need to be paying those prices for what are essentially rentals.
You can rent games on Steam as well.

Well, it's more like a monthly thing, where you pay an amount and can download and play all the games they ever made for that month. At least, that was in the plans

Hooker said:
You can rent games on Steam as well.

Well, it's more like a monthly thing, where you pay an amount and can download and play all the games they ever made for that month. At least, that was in the plans

And this I don't mind. If you could pay a monthly fee of say 10 dollars, this is how I'd play HL2. But with all these screwy packages being listed, I fear the only way to play HL2 is by purchasing one of these.

its definately good for the developers and we all want good developers surviving (mucky foot, bullfrog, westwood, origin all dead dead dead) but at the same time i prefer having a hard copy.

dilema

Zaptruder

Banned
pay for steam and get the option to buy special 'steam' edition HL2 directly from valve for the cost of materials and shipping?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
DSN2K said:
what will it mean to the industry ? are publishers eventually doomed ? would more PC developers opted for this sort of system bypassing the middle man and taking all the spoils ?.

I wonder if Valve have plans to license Steam out.....

I see Microsoft and Sony pushing for a similar model: they would own the network infrastructure and license it out to developers which only need the bandwidth.

The costs should not be too high as we have a system that is like Bit-torrent: if there are enough seeders and lots of users are trying to download at the same time the same game, then the server side costs should not be too huge.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Slo said:
Couple of thoughts:

2) --> no, as the server costs are much much lower than the publishers' cut.

G4life98

element said:
The same was said about iTunes when it came out, that it wouldn't catch on since the user got 'data' not a disc. But iTuens have proven that people don't mind buying 'data' and not getting a hardcopy of the product.

but cant you burn a copy of what you buy on itunes?

how does steam deliver the game anyway? is it directly intalling the game or does it send you a big file containing the whole game? and does steam allow you to burn a hard copy?

dark10x

G4life98 said:
but cant you burn a copy of what you buy on itunes?

how does steam deliver the game anyway? is it directly intalling the game or does it send you a big file containing the whole game? and does steam allow you to burn a hard copy?

The games downloaded from Steam can't be used as a standalone product, from what I've seen. You NEED to be connected to the Steam network in order to play...

epmode

dark10x said:
The games downloaded from Steam can't be used as a standalone product, from what I've seen. You NEED to be connected to the Steam network in order to play...
there is an offline mode. i *think* you have to connect to the internet one time with each game for it to be available with said game, but i'm not very familiar with the mode.

DSN2K

Valve could really screw the pirates if they make you connect to their servers even when you play SP half life 2.

dark10x

DSN2K said:
Valve could really screw the pirates if they make you connect to their servers even when you play SP half life 2.

Not really...

Look at Counter Strike: Source...

That is a multiplayer game and they managed to crack it.

dark10x

epmode said:
can people with the cracked games play in legitimate servers?

I doubt it, but the comment I was responding to was questioning whether Valve would be able to prevent people from playing HL2 single player via Steam...

Firest0rm

dark10x said:
I hate the idea. I want original, hard copies of my games...

IAWTP, I dont want to end up uninstalling it or getting a new computer and then pay to download it again or to wait for it to download again.

epmode

Firest0rm said:
IAWTP, I dont want to end up uninstalling it or getting a new computer and then pay to download it again or to wait for it to download again.
is everyone ignoring something here? you can easily make backup copies of all steam games. hell, it's encouraged. no copy protection involved.

also, once buying a steam game, you can download it as many times as you want, on as many different machines as you want. however, only one of them will work with your cd key at one time.

dark10x

epmode said:
is everyone ignoring something here? you can easily make backup copies of all steam games. hell, it's encouraged. no copy protection involved.

also, once buying a steam game, you can download it as many times as you want, on as many different machines as you want. however, only one of them will work with your cd key at one time.

Well, in my case, I still hate that idea...

I want to see a Half-Life 2 box sitting on my shelf and actually have a nicely labeled disc from Valve in my hands...

This is the case with HL2 (they are releasing boxed versions), but I'd hate to see this go any further and completely remove their products from retail stores...

epmode

dark10x said:
I want to see a Half-Life 2 box sitting on my shelf and actually have a nicely labeled disc from Valve in my hands...\
i understand, and even agree with you. but i think of it this way: if this digital delivery phenomenon can free talented (but small) developers from horrible publishing deals that destroy so many other companies, i'm all for it. for the system to be perfect, all they'd need to implement is an option to order a legitimate copy/manual directly from the company for a small charge.

dark10x

epmode said:
i understand, and even agree with you. but i think of it this way: if this digital delivery phenomenon can free talented (but small) developers from horrible publishing deals that destroy so many other companies, i'm all for it. for the system to be perfect, all they'd need to implement is an option to order a legitimate copy/manual directly from the company for a small charge.

In that case, I could deal...

However, I would never want this to become the standard...

snapty00

Banned
DSN2K said:
That'd be easy to get around. One way, of course, would be to simply crack it, disabling that functionality altogether.

Another way would be to create a server on your own computer that acts as Valve's server does, effectively tricking your Half Life 2 program into thinking it has successfully connected to Valve's real servers. You can do simple redirects like this using HOSTS files. The hardest part would be writing the "server" software, but someone out there would obviously take the time to do it.

So, this would really be a wasted effort. It'd basically waste Valve's bandwidth for nothing, since the people who would be using Valve's bandwidth would be legitimate Half Life 2 owners.

I'm totally with dark10x on this one. We get together and build giant forts out of our PC game boxes and I really don't want to see that tradition die.

It bothers me already that MMORPGs are games that I can put out an exhorbanant amount of money for, but be still be unable to play in ten years, or less. Even my XBOX Live games can be suprious, in that how can I ever expect Pandora Tommorrow or Burnout 3 or even Halo 2 to have all their modes fully playable in eight years. Don't even talk about LOC.

This is the reality of online games. I'll probably still have my Planetside cds when I die but after another four years I'll never be able to play it again. Its the idea of paying for an onegoing experience, or renting gameplay, if you prefer. Any online game essentially has an expiration date, after which it can never be played again.

With Steam, we come very close to applying this dynamic to offline, single player games. While a properly kept machine, with HL2 downloaded onto it would remain playable forever, how long until the Steam service itself becomes defunct, and no longer offers a legitimate customer the ability to re-access his product?

My copy of Doom3 was bundled with my 6800 GT. No box or even a manual, and I'm okay with that, for now. But a game that is only available to me as long as a complex, remote service is supported by powers beyond my control is absolutely terrifiying. I don't want my games to have expiration dates of any kind, and it is unthinkable for a completely self-contained game experience to have one applied to it. Even if I download HL2 through Steam for convenience, I will still secure a legitimate, hardcopy.

Burger

I love the way Steam has been developed.

The copy of Halflife that I brought way back when it came out is near useless now. I can throw away the disc if I like, it's always going to be available to me.

I could even publish my cd-key right in this very forum, and it would be worthless to everyone. Unlike nearly every other PC game out there, my Halflife (and soon to be Halflife 2) cd-key is permanently mine and nobody else can use it. The only way would be to know my Steam login and password. I'm never going to have to worry about someone generating my key.

I can login to Steam on the otherside of the world and play all the Valve games I own.

Fuck, I don't even have to download patches anymore. If Valve release High Dynamic Range Rendering for HL2 in the future, Steam will know if my computer can handle it, and deliver it right into my game. New texture pack... done.

Steam is the most well intergrated and thorough content management system developed for any videogame, ever.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Amazing how far its come, I still remember all the bad comments it was getting here when it was first brought out by Valve.

Nester

My only problem is the friends list. There's a lot of times where I have problems connecting, adding friends when they show that I've already added them and they can see me, etc. It's a serious pain sometimes.

Hooker

Yeah burger, I love that part as well. I can just log in anywhere and download all the games I've registered :)

Top Bottom