• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could choose to live your youth in one period of the XX century...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ourumov

Which period would you choose ? The 20s ? The 30s ? The 60s ? The 80s ?
I would have liked to live in the 50s-60s...However, if I was just transported there I don't know what I would do...Probably look for my grandfather and ask help to him.

Imo it's one of the best periods when it comes to a lot of factors such as cars, women, music...It would be great to go on visit there. :)

I would go back to the late ninties. That way I can find the guy who will create Survivor, pull out my cock, slap him with it, ask him to think about WHAT THE F*** HE IS ABOUT TO DO, then bang my ex-girlfriends mom, again.

ourumov

I have always wondered if I faced my real-me of the past what would happen...I mean: Would he believe I was really coming from the future ? The same goes for my parents...
It would be tough to start from scratch without the help of someone in the past ...

Drensch

I'd still say 80s 90s, I need modern conveniences. And after that music, tv, and games are all going downhill.

ourumov

Oh come on...I agree the 80s-90s were great times...But wouldn't you like to experience another period you never lived ?

Blackie

The 60s or 70s. I've always wanted to be young and restless in a time of mass drug experimentation and sexual freedom. I can only imagine the excellent amounts of trouble I'd get in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Early 80s, I was born in 1986 so I missed a lot of the good stuff.

Mason

I have always wished I could grow up in the 50s. It was such an innocent and happy time, when communities meant something and people were nice to each other.

Mugen

Banned
90s mainly... especially early to mid-90s. Everything was good back in the days... music, games, cartoons.... AHHHH.

If some time when I haven't lived, then I pick the 20s.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mason said:
I have always wished I could grow up in the 50s. It was such an innocent and happy time, when communities meant something and people were nice to each other.
Hahaha, maybe on TV.

Outlaw

Banned
one more for the 90s

Actually, I'd like to go back to the late 60s and early 70s during the muscle car era
thumbs_up.gif

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
how about this decade? i hate the thought of dying without seeing some really cool technology or you know, whatever. so ill just go for the choice that delays that (statistically) the most.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mason said:

Yeah, happy times! Racism, McCarthyism, women calling the kitchen home, and remember kids: Hide under your desks to insure that you don't die a horrible, mushroom-cloud-induced death, starting with your face melting off! But if you do survive the nuclear holocaust, 4 out of 5 doctors agree that smoking is good for you, so always light up with Camel. It makes your game of Lawn Darts much more fun!

Just making sure this thread has some perspective. ;)

Anyway, it's an interesting question. I've occasionally thought about what it'd be like to sort of push my birthdate back by roughly 10 years (i.e., put me in the 9th grade now), and the pros and cons kind of create a giant ball of "Eh...." On one hand, my geekitude would be more than acceptable now, and maybe it's just me, but sex in high school just seems more readily *available*; but on the other, the jokes about high school being like a prison wouldn't be metaphors, and college would be a metric fuckton more expensive.

Also, I kind of relished being the only person in my junior year class with a website, let alone the knowledge of how to make one (bear in mind that back then, "the web" was still, to the average joe, that silk-like series of threads in the corner of the room with the huge spider.) I shit you not, people came up to me in the middle of class and asked how I did it.

So I'll go with the 60s and 70s. Draft-dodging, hippie-loving, summers of love, and, of course, my loathing of Nixon would at least be justified in that I can say I actually had to live under it all.

Triumph

Banned
Yup, late 60's early 70's. I mean, come on. What more awesome way to spend your youth than as a dope smokin, draft dodgin, drug experimentin', free lovin' hippy? I would bathe daily, tho. Nasty fuckers.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
No two ways about it, I want to be born in 1968 like my brother. Maybe a little earlier, even.

Grow up watching game shows on daytime TV, be the target audience right when video games hit, go to college in the 80s... holy cow.

Drensch

But wouldn't you like to experience another period you never lived ?
Maybe the way stuff appears in movies. Otherwise, racism, war, misogyny, filth etc. are not for me. I'd rather my ass not be gotten medeval on.

SKluck

Banned
I grew up at the best time, IMO. 80s/90s. If I included the future 2050s would probably be pretty sweet.

I still don't understand how people classify this stuff. You 'grow up' in 2 decades, but people always refer to one. Was that when they were <10 or >10?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Lots of girls were setting it out like it was their jobs in the late 60s-early 70s. Some of the hippies might not be as hygenic as you would want, but still. Also no AIDS to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom