• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could travel forward in time, would you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Let's say you get this golden opportunity to travel into the future.

HOWEVER, there are a few conditions set:

1. You are the only one who will be able to do this, noone else will be able to go with you or follow you.

2. You will never be able to travel back to your own time again.

3. You will only be able to travel a "long time", meaning 200 or 2000 years, not 10 minutes, a day or a year.

Taking these conditions in consideration, would you still consider travelling into the future?

I'm not sure myself. Even though it would be tempting, what would really await me so far into the future? Would this planet even exist? And also, knowing that I'll never see my family, friends or this familiar world ever again, not sure how that would feel.

Tool

Banned
Kiriku said:
Let's say you get this golden opportunity to travel into the future.

HOWEVER, there are a few conditions set:

1. You are the only one who will be able to do this, noone else will be able to go with you or follow you.

2. You will never be able to travel back to your own time again.

3. You will only be able to travel a "long time", meaning 200 or 2000 years, not 10 minutes, a day or a year.

Taking these conditions in consideration, would you still consider travelling into the future?

I'm not sure myself. Even though it would be tempting, what would really await me so far into the future? Would this planet even exist? And also, knowing that I'll never see my family, friends or this familiar world ever again, not sure how that would feel.

Who sets said conditions and why? If I can travel forward into the future I sure as hell would hope I could travel back.

MonkeyBoy

i think i would be to afraid to see myself as a big fat loser alone watching a new reality show where they kill each other in a dome cage..but then again i would not see myself in the future because in the past i left into the future so my future would have no past for me to see myself in the future........

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tool said:
Who sets said conditions and why? If I can travel forward into the future I sure as hell would hope I could travel back.

I am the one setting the conditions, because this is my thread. The reasons for my conditions are, that if you could go back, bring someone with you or just travel for a "short time", the choice wouldn't be as drastic as it is now IMO.

Yes, I know there's always HOPE of being able to go back, especially if you go into the future. And yes, I know it's theoretically possible to go back in time.
But let's just IMAGINE that there's a natural law preventing people from going back in time, OK?

mrmyth

Eh, what the hell. I'd drop one of those astronaut instant-kill pills under my tongue and go for what I knew.

Either I'd take a look at the place and kill myself immediately, or like it and walk around saying, "Back in my day....." all the damn time.

Socreges

Banned
Yes. I would travel forward in time and hold Kiriku's great-great-grandchildren hostage. I would let them go as soon as he edited the thread and let me travel however I pleased.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Socreges said:
Yes. I would travel forward in time and hold Kiriku's great-great-grandchildren hostage. I would let them go as soon as he edited the thread and let me travel however I pleased.

Or you could do it the hard way, and create your own thread. :p

mrmyth

explodet said:
As long as I get to hang out with a good-looking cyclops and an alcoholic robot.

1072.gif

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Tool said:

Most theories about time travel put forth that it would only be possible to travel forward in time, if even theoretically. The idea behind it being relativity and all that fun jazz, and if you could somehow travel at the speed of light then time would pass more slowly for you than everybody else. Essentially, you'd be moving forward in time.

And, yes. Yes I would. It'd be too interesting an opportunity to be able to pass up.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Archaix said:
Most theories about time travel put forth that it would only be possible to travel forward in time, if even theoretically. The idea behind it being relativity and all that fun jazz, and if you could somehow travel at the speed of light then time would pass more slowly for you than everybody else. Essentially, you'd be moving forward in time.

And, yes. Yes I would. It'd be too interesting an opportunity to be able to pass up.

I read some theories in a science mag recently stating that it would be possible to travel back in time, theoretically of course.

If you imagine time as something flowing, something that can bend and turn, you can also imagine time as something that can make an 180 degrees turn. Then you can jump from "now" to "past" by using a wormhole as you pass over the "past" that runs parallell with "now". Basically, it's like a digging a tunnel from "now" to "then" through timespace. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom