• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

if you were gonna create your own GTA-style game...

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
What would you do? More gang-warfare? Syndicate style? Use the Xbox HD to design your own cities?

San Andreas is out in just over a month and while everybody's been going on about the RPG-lite elements that have been added into the mix, I'm curious as to what you'd like to see in a crime/driving type of game.

bishoptl said:
What would you do? More gang-warfare? Syndicate style? Use the Xbox HD to design your own cities?

San Andreas is out in just over a month and while everybody's been going on about the RPG-lite elements that have been added into the mix, I'm curious as to what you'd like to see in a crime/driving type of game.

No I am too lazy and would never make my own game. :p

However, they should add animals in GTA games. It would be cool if you could ride horses and kill cows or something.

bjork

I mentioned them in the channel, but I'll throw them out here too, just for fun. I'd like to see:

- Player creation, so you can put yourself in the game... being able to customize CJ will be nice, but being able to do the same with yourself would be even nicer. Plus, that'd let you play as a female, because there ARE thug women, you know.

- Game+ mode. Once you finish the game as the main character, you could have to play through the game as a character from the rival gang or whatever, and have a whole new set of harder missions, to try and topple the original main character from his spot on top.

- Kids/animals... granted, it would be tasteless to shoot some kid with a sniper rifle, but I would giggle if I sent a fully loaded schoolbus over the edge of a cliff or something... plus, police have dogs, so they may as well be in there also.

- Random hooker risk... you get in the car with a hooker to boost your health, only to find out that she is a tranny, and your life gets depleted instead of raised. Perhaps add a ! over the car, or something similar.

"- Kids/animals... granted, it would be tasteless to shoot some kid with a sniper rifle, but I would giggle if I sent a fully loaded schoolbus over the edge of a cliff or something... plus, police have dogs, so they may as well be in there also."

haha that's totally awesome. Have you played Dues Ex IW? I think thats the only game where you can kill children.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'd almost prefer a combination of efforts in this case...

Mafia really managed to come close in many respects to matching what I wanted in a game like this, but was lacking in some of the more commonly successful areas. The on-foot segments were incredibly fun, full of variety, atmospheric as hell (the storm on the farm, for example, was amazing), and managed to control just as well as something like Max Payne. Only a little tweaking would be required (mainly to fix some of the difficulty issues). Basically, these portions were good enough that they could almost stand alone as a simple 3rd person action game. The level design, controls, and scenario design were all far beyond anything else in the "GTA-style genre".

Also of note is the story itself. It was a brilliant tale that left a huge impression on me and was presented in a fashion superior to any other game in the "genre".

The problems with Mafia mainly related to the city itself. The city was massive, but very dull. GTA's city is so alive and fun to explore but Mafia's was just a chore. When actually driving on mission, there was more fun to be had...but the controls needed some work and the cars were not exactly exciting to drive.

I would like to see the city dynamics of GTA combined with the on-foot gameplay and narrative of Mafia along with the graphics punch of Wreckless. Combine these together, polish it up, and you have something incredible. We've come SO close, but no single game has pulled every element together.

I'd make a serial killer game. Where you have to try and wipeout as many people as possible before the authorities catch on and hunt you down.... or something.

lachesis

shenmue style quest, with large scale kung-fu gang-fights involved, and several path to the ending like kotor.

lachesis

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
11149.JPG

WarPig

Ditto on the Mad Max note, plus a general comment to the effect that this style of gameplay could be applied to so many more different settings.

A gritty sci-fi crime game -- an '80s cyberpunk throwback, like -- would be great. That'd be a killer way to revive the Shadowrun license, which I believe FASA Interactive still has kicking around. Or just use the first few chapters of Neuromancer as your inspiration, with a main character who isn't actually a suicidal loser.

DFS.

Tellaerin

I'd like to see a less-linear story where your actions have an effect on the outcome. Give me a game where you create your character and set him loose in a city at war--the mob, the Triads, and the gangstas are at each others' throats, and only one faction's going to come out on top. You could take missions for the faction of your choice exclusively, eventually working your way up to boss of that faction, play factions off against one another, go independent, or... hell, why not?...make this the first GTA that lets you side with the law and try to take down the bosses of the various factions from the inside, Wiseguy-style. It'd be a lot of work on top of everything else that goes into a GTA game, but the replay value would be through the roof.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Id have people who really had virtual lives and a real economy in the city, so if i just go round running over random pedestrians id eventually run over a made man or the major or something and end up with a contract on my head.

Id also make the story totally dynamic, so you can swing it towards whichever faction you prefer (or screw them all over) missions and cutscenes would appear depending on who you piss off, and who you please.

Id also have a Colombo take off who'd be constantly trying to finger me with crimes by saying "oh wait, just one more thing i dont understand" smoking his cigar and looking like a retard while actually being a genius

Grand Theft Auto: River City

Basically replace the clunky fighting system with one that's still simple but a lot more fun. Also multiplayer. GTA3 and RCR are two of my favorite games to just mess about in and already have some similarities, so a combination of their best elements would please me much.

WarPig

JoshuaJSlone said:
Grand Theft Auto: River City

Yeah, I could get into a Japanese high-school GTA. Do it up like some goofy Shonen Champion beat-'em-up manga, Kyo Kare Ore Wa or what-have-you.

Or go one step further and make it into a kinda Shonan Jun'ai Gumi bakusouzoku deal with crazy biker gangs. Huge wads of bike customization options. I could get into that.

DFS.

1st Born

Myvision would be a medival/fantasy RPG.

- Horseback riding/fighting/stealing
- Hitchiking rides from people in coverd wagons/carvans
- Raiding temples
- Fighting battles as grand as those in Return of the King
- Riding in hot-air ballons
- Tranporting across oceans and rivers
- Climbing mountains

FightyF

Banned
I just want a GTA type game based on the Knight Rider Universe. I don't care for stealing cars in such a game, but using Kit and his many abilities, as well as Micheal walking around town and talking to people, to fight crime.

hobbitx

I'd make a game like GTA, except it would combine some of the principles of pcrpgs. Not meaning dope-dealing, carjacking elves who level, but you would be able to pick your own specific class, drug dealer, pimp, car jacker, thief, etc. and there would be all kinds of ways to play and interact with the game world depending on your specific class.

Another thing I've wanted to see for the longest is a gta type game set in the SW universe, Lucasarts would never allow something like that though, at least what I wanted that is, dealing death stick space dope. I love the cities in SW, I'd kill to run wild in one of those.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'd like something in a scifi/cyberpunk setting. Something like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner or the worlds as projected by William Gibson. Especially forming a biker gang, lobbing handgrenades and poking rival bikers with large trouts seems enjoyable to me :). Basically I just want a proper Akira game, I guess.. *sigh*

I'd set it in the Shadowrun universe . :D

Except that instead of stealing cars like every other game, you'd have to do 'runs to save up for them. Or at least have the option of legitimately buying one. Besides, Lone Star could probably track you down and kick the shit out of you. Complex surveillance measures, big brother and all that jazz.

Fully customizable character creation. Full scale tables that you can upgrade with karma earned from completed missions. Online co-op wouldn't hurt, either. Something in the vein of PSO, but with random-generated missions, or at least a large pool of various missions that hopefully don't get old too fast.

Top Bottom