• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Mario Pinball Land review

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/553/553858p1.html

Closing Comments
A game can't live on pretty looks alone. Mario Pinball Land is a graphically amazing title, but the gameplay itself is far more flawed and annoying than it is fun to play. And considering Nintendo already successfully hit the pinball genre last year in Pokemon Pinball: Ruby and Sapphire, Mario-branded game is a large step backwards in game design. This game may have more pinball "challenges" than Pokemon Pinball, but when players have to struggle through some of the frustratingly bad design implementations, it's almost not worth the playtime.

-- Craig Harris

6.0 Presentation
It's a very awkward premise that really doesn't fit the Mario theme. But at least the developer worked a lot of Mario-isms into the table designs anyway.
9.0 Graphics
Absolutely gorgeous graphics using rendered artwork for all the single-screen boards, as well as smoothly animated sprites for all the targets. The game looks fantastic.
8.0 Sound
Plenty of Mario babble, as well as some really pleasant tunes for each of the levels.
4.0 Gameplay
Good pinball physics, bad table layouts with an overwhelmingly annoying "playfield reset" element where the challenge comes more from its frustrating design.
5.0 Lasting Appeal
If you can stand it, there's about 30 playfields and five different areas of pinball challenges, with a Time Trial and highscore recording.
OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
note to rookie developers: don't ever be tasked with making a game in a franchise higher than sonic if possible.

FoneBone

Yeah, sounds like this is one of the weakest first-party releases in a while... don't know what they were thinking.

Memles

"Oh, look, it's Mario and pinball"
"Yeah, but the design kind of stinks"
"But the graphics are good. And kids like Mario"
"So it's settled. We farm it off, make it on the cheap, and sell 200,000 copies in its lifetime and make a profit."

*Champagne Corks take out light bulbs*

mosaic

go eat paint
What an odd situation to be in, having a different perspective on the game and coming away somewhat liking it. I dunno, I didn't mind that it wasn't pure pinball, since it was obvious that wasn't what they were trying to do. And the drain-level resets don't bug me so much, because they're really the game's only gotcha -- and can be easily avoided by buying a ball-saver pipe or having a super mushroom...

Ah well, to each their own.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
What the... a Mario game that ISN'T good? Drat. I was going to go off and buy this... now I'll wait until I can get it for $$ instead of $$$.

Top Bottom