• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - Monster Hunter Online Impressions

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/538/538204p1.html

monster-hunter-20040812014121358.jpg

monster-hunter-20040812014122077.jpg

monster-hunter-20040812014117389.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Japanese developer interpreting Western art = Monster Hunter
Western developer interpreting Japanese art = Sudeki

Result: Monster Hunter looks cool, Sudeki does not! :p

Tabris

Kiriku said:

That's cause most western developers are trash.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"That's cause most western developers are trash."

yeah, and i can`t move here for all the amazing high quality stuff these japanese devs are putting out lately. *trips up over huge pile of shitty games*

Yes, Monster Hunter is the fucking SHIT!

www.game-science.com/

I`m guessing we aren`t going to be able to play together ? (US and JPN players)

I bought the soudtrack book, and it lists (like the other Capcom guide book) a whole host of monsters/dragons that aren`t in the game (offline and online).

I`m guessing we may well see a MH apend disk pretty soon? or maybe even a fully fledged up grade?

There are also sketches of new weapons and tons of very cool looking armour not available in the game - some look perhaps a little too "PSO" for the games style ?

Anyways, i`d be all over a follow up.

Alex

I've been considering it, I'll most likely get it now that I cleaved a few games off my list. Thanks for all the impressions and stuff, Charlie. I probably wouldn't considered it if it wasn't for you, heh. Capcom has done a shit job of getting information out on this game.

Woohoo! This is my most anticipated PS2 game. Anyone know of how bad (if it is a problem at all) the cheating is? I'm hoping to enjoy it for, at least, a couple of months (like PSO) before it turns into Spread Needle/Resta-kill hell.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Since it's apparently set up a bit like PSO, will the US one have a monthly fee. Or will it be free like Outbreak?

Ranger X

Free i buy.
Fees i say fuck you.

Monster Hunter could be the first game to be near a MMORPG AND being free and could show people that we are USED to pay for this kind of game when they could let it for free online. Please Capcom give the example to other devellopers...

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Kiriku said:

FFXI is kinda the same thing, but even though I like it it still feels awkward.

Hellraizah

They don't have to justify their charges.

If you are a developper, and you're making an online game, you decide whether or not you charge. It's all up to you.

I say, if someone here thinks that online gaming will be free in the future, you're dead wrong. It's gonna be fees for every games or a service à la Xbox Live, but in the end, you're going to pay. It's normal, it's a service, a luxury service.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
It`s not MMO-anything.
Think of monster hunter as "bite sized PSO"
levels CANNOT last more that 40 minutes (if i recall correctly) as that is the maximum time limit impossed, and in reality, with a party of 4, it`s usually all over in 10 minutes.

That is what is so great about MH - you can drop in, slaughter some animals, then leave. No massive night long commitments to doing one quest. If it`s a night long session, then you are going to be doing lots and lots of quests.

HDD support - NO. Just a BBA is required.

Cheating - i`m sure someone can hack the mem card to give you the items you need or whatever, but cheating seems to be at a minimum. The Rare-item thing works really well - apparently , there is a loop hole that allows you to replocate sub Rare-3 items. But this is basically crap like mushrooms etc that sell for next to zero money. And in any case, cash is useless without the rare-4 / rare-5 items. These items are usually parts of the bigger monsters, and are used to create new weaponry and armour. You have to EARN these. Players cannot trade Rare-3 and above items, so if anyone has a certain blade or a certain armour then basically they had to go through the process of killing whatever they had to get the parts.

Ranger X

Hellraizah said:
They don't have to justify their charges.

If you are a developper, and you're making an online game, you decide whether or not you charge. It's all up to you.

I say, if someone here thinks that online gaming will be free in the future, you're dead wrong. It's gonna be fees for every games or a service à la Xbox Live, but in the end, you're going to pay. It's normal, it's a service, a luxury service.

That's not my point though. I'm questionning if it NEEDS fees really or it's just for easy profit. You know they could charge for this game BECAUSE it's a MMORPG even if it's not needed. People are used to pay for this kind of game online so it's easy to make you pay again because you feel it's normal.

The majority of people don't want to pay again to go play their games online and i doubt it will change fast. That's the exact reason why online gaming is not skyrocketting yet.

Gattsu25

Banned
Wyzdom...uh...this game is NOT a MMO...it's more like PSO only hopefully without the dev charging for a game that should have been free

MMOs are...MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER...you know...more than 10 people a zone/server :b

Monster Hunter is not

Top Bottom