• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - New GTA : San Andreas screenshots

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SolidSnakex said:
Depends on what you view as easier on the eyes.

How about what I've been saying all along? Improved framerate? I am quite the framerate whore (in the appropriate genres), but I'm not exactly expecting 60 fps from a series like GTA. Still, I think it would be nice if they aimed at a steady 30 fps at least. There are many cases of slowdown in both GTA III and Vice City, and you're constantly on the move in the game, usually by driving cars.
Improved image quality would obviously make the games easier on the eyes too.

914983_20040730_screen004.jpg

that is just awesome!

Ranger X

Guys you'll never fucking get it with the graphics....
Give me ONE streaming 3D game with that much going on screen and off screen that is having better graphics than that? True Crimes? Spiderman 2? coming Dukes of Hazzard?

People don't understand limitations i guess in programming, develloping and hardware...
This game is probably near the best it can look for this gen. Do with that.

Wyzdom said:
Guys you'll never fucking get it with the graphics....
Give me ONE streaming 3D game with that much going on screen and off screen that is having better graphics than that? True Crimes? Spiderman 2? coming Dukes of Hazzard?

People don't understand limitations i guess in programming, develloping and hardware...
This game is probably near the best it can look for this gen. Do with that.

Jak 2.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Littleberu said:

Indeed :)

Jak 2 has a shitload more geometry aswell, the city level is an insane demonstration of naughty dog's modelling expertise, all textured in an unique way and fitting with the environment.

Ranger X

Jak2... give me a fucking break. There's not even half the physics GTA have to process nor the interactivity with stuff and complexity of the maps.
And what's more, Jak2 is the single best graphic of the PS2 and best mutherfucking exceptionnal good 3D engine. A game like GTA with this could beat San Andreas probably but it's the fucking exception.

Hellraizah, True Crimes suffers again from a similar thing; car have a couple more polys and characters too but it kill the draw distance, the map is again less complex than GTA and not as much stuff going on in the screen at the same time.

andthebeatgoeson

Kiriku said:
How about what I've been saying all along? Improved framerate? I am quite the framerate whore (in the appropriate genres), but I'm not exactly expecting 60 fps from a series like GTA. Still, I think it would be nice if they aimed at a steady 30 fps at least. There are many cases of slowdown in both GTA III and Vice City, and you're constantly on the move in the game, usually by driving cars.

Kiriku=Matt C.?

:p

Poona

Schmo Florez said:
as long as i can turn off those damn trail effects like you could in the last games ill be happy.

The trail effects in Vice City (on the XBOX at least, as I haven't tried the PS2 or PC version) actually make the game look better I think. Better lighting, colours and weather effects. I don't think that enhancement is in GTA III, though I haven't really tried it.

Phoenix

Looking good and the fact that you CAN play as a good guy is more likely to make me buy it. I appreciate the developers desires, but I just didn't want to be a gang banger :) Maybe in their next generation one they'll borrow some concepts for KOTOR and you can do both and your reputation and mission options change depending on which side you actually end up on.

evil ways

Well not sure, I was just giving him an overly positive response. That plus I really don't remember the exact date GTA III and Vice City hit PC.

Gattsu25

Banned
Poona said:
The trail effects in Vice City (on the XBOX at least, as I haven't tried the PS2 or PC version) actually make the game look better I think. Better lighting, colours and weather effects. I don't think that enhancement is in GTA III, though I haven't really tried it.

couldn't agree more,...they REMOVED them from GTAVC PC and the game looks stale and much more grey and brown as a result

PS2 has the trails in full effect

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Wait, you may be right about Vice City hitting in May of 2003. I think there was a year's difference for 3.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Boogie9IGN said:
Will this be coming to XBox also? Please say yes

Corrected to better reflect my preferences.

I'm definitely going to be getting this on the first day but I fear playing the XBox double pack will ruin me for the PS2 GTAs.

Ranger X

I don't know on Xbox but on PS2 it sucks hard with the trails on. I hope that if it's there again we will have the option of turning it off.

evil ways

Wyzdom said:
I don't know on Xbox but on PS2 it sucks hard with the trails on. I hope that if it's there again we will have the option of turning it off.

Yeah, the trails in the PS2 version of Vice City made the game look like a PCP induced, blurry dream sequence, I turned them off the first 10 minutes I played the game.

belgurdo

Banned
The trails help make the backdrops look better (5-8 AM sunrises are beautiful with trails on in the Xbox version) but everything turns into a blurry mess when you're actually moving)

Gattsu25

Banned
heh...what about the trails sucked? the motion blur? improved lighting, weather, and effects?

with the trails off the game looks extremely stale

Night with Trails:
screen05.jpg

Night without trails:
vice-city-02.JPG

(it's hard to find a pic with the trails on :\)

The difference between trails in III and VC was huge...VC trails were doing far more than just motion blur

Bob White

Yeah. Vice was more FULL with the trails on. Plus it kinda looked like I was playing the game through an 80's camera that came straight from the set of Miami Vice.

Gattsu25

Banned
I guess it's the same sort of thing with people getting sick from the hud motion in metroid prime...i mean...the trails hurt your eyes?

oli, the difference was in the order of around 3 frames from what I can tell (I'm no dark when it comes to fps, sadly) but the motion blur was a good compensation

Kiriku said:

Well they've said the game will be much more fine tuned this time around so the framerate will be more steady. I doubt it'll be completely locked at 30fps, but it'll still stay at that framerate moreso than the GTA3 or VC. I guess i'm not as big as a framerate whore as I thought because i've never had a problem with GTA's framerate. It's not completely smooth but it's never got in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

I thought I was the only one. The trails (probably mixed with the horribly choppy frame-rate) gave me my first videogame headache since Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on N64. Seriously, Vice City needed serious work on the image quality and frame-rate.

Gattsu25 said:
heh...what about the trails sucked? the motion blur? improved lighting, weather, and effects?

with the trails off the game looks extremely stale

Night with Trails:
http://www.vgcity.com/~media/gtavcpc/screen05.jpg

Night without trails:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.taylor2/images/vice-city-02.JPG

(it's hard to find a pic with the trails on :\)

The difference between trails in III and VC was huge...VC trails were doing far more than just motion blur

To be fair, in the pic without trails on, the camera isnt even facing the sunset, and yeah, i found trails really annoying, they made me feel kinda odd while playing, I belive I too got a slight headache from the, (which I was initaly worried about considering I wanted to be able to play VC like GTA3 hours on end without any headachs, fortunitaly when I turned them off, I never experienced the problem again). Plus, I am not sure what it is, while they can make some things look cool, other things I feel look worse with them on.

Phoenix said:
Looking good and the fact that you CAN play as a good guy is more likely to make me buy it. I appreciate the developers desires, but I just didn't want to be a gang banger :) Maybe in their next generation one they'll borrow some concepts for KOTOR and you can do both and your reputation and mission options change depending on which side you actually end up on.

Who said you could be a good guy in the game? I read both the IGN and Gamespot previews linked to erleyer in this thread, and never noticed that. But I kinda doube that it will let you be a 'good guy', though undoubtedly you'll be able to do good guy type missions again, like paramedic and vigilanti. But I dont think your gonna find that this is Grand Go Buy An Auto.

And damn, every day I want this game more and more, I am not sure how much more of VC I can play, I have been playing it every day, just like I did with GTA3 prior to VC's release. But at least than I had a few things to DO in GTA3 to get 100% But damnit, my GTA3 and VC files are both at 100% on both the PS2 AND XBox now. Well, actualy my VC on PS2 is stuck at 99% due to some fucking glitch. Man I was pissed. And no I never saved after cheating, and I am sure of that due to the fact that I have never even ENTERD a cheat in VC. Maybe I'll start a new file of VC on PS2 in attempt of 100%, oh damn, I veerd a little off topic...

SA is gonna rule, tatoos now, that's awsome, though I wonder if you can get more than one, and iwhat if you want to get a different tatoo? Could they remove tatoos in the erley 90's?

Cant wait...

~Black Deatha

pilonv1 said:
About time too, now there's no need for me to wait for the PC version for superior aiming.

Yeah, while GTA3 and VC not having wasnt a big deal to me, it is deffinatly cool to have it in SA, it's deffinatly an improvment too, Rockstarjust keeps making these game better and better with every one.

~Black Deatha

Ranger X

Fucking trails. My eyes are too picky to get over this one. This blurry mess when you move kills everything for me. It's already hard for me to endure LCD screens (even in the best hi definition TVs) so just imagine my pain playing with the trails on...

Top Bottom