• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green Review

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
8.0 Presentation
The game doesn't do a whole lot new or different beyond the established Ruby/Sapphire goods. Still, it's chock full of things to do, and is presented better for newbies to the series.
6.0 Graphics
The game uses pretty much the same engine that drives Ruby/Sapphire; limited animation and basic colors for the environments. We're ready for a handheld upgrade in the visuals department.

7.0 Sound
Pretty much standard fare for the GBA, mixing Game Boy Color quality audio with the better tunage that the GBA can handle.

9.0 Gameplay
Once again, the Pokemon crew create a game that works extremely well for the handheld market. It doesn't have quite the same variety as Ruby/Sapphire, but it's still incredibly satisfying.

10.0 Lasting Appeal
The main single player quest ends at about 30 hours in, but that doesn't include going beyond it to train for the multiplayer battles and connectivity with Colosseum.

I agree with the individual scores, the overall is a bit high though.

cvxfreak

Crazymoogle said:
You guys can have diablo. Pokemon is my addiction....at least on the GBA side.

IAWTP

I burned my way through Pocket Monster Leaf Green, and will gladly do the same for Pokemon Leaf Green.

Soul4ger

I'm rather unsure about the events in Leaf Green and Fire Red. Does it extend beyond the typical Red/Green/Blue series, when you fight the Elite Four, into the Johto region, or is it the same thing as the original, for the most part, except with updated graphics/gameplay features? I've heard both, really...

Soul4ger said:
I'm rather unsure about the events in Leaf Green and Fire Red. Does it extend beyond the typical Red/Green/Blue series, when you fight the Elite Four, into the Johto region, or is it the same thing as the original, for the most part, except with updated graphics/gameplay features? I've heard both, really...

(Summing up the easily available faq at gamefaqs.com)

Think Red/Blue upgraded to Ruby/Sapphire standards, with extra plotline islands filled with gold/silver pokemon, and a second go-around with the elite four (levels 50-75, yikes!)

As expected, once you reach a certain point you can trade over your pokemon from Ruby/Sapphire.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I've got both preordered, and cannot wait for them to arrive!

I'm a little irked that they didn't tweak LeafGreen to become "blue" again, this time around.

0wn3d

Yeah, I would have rather America recieved "Water Blue" substituted for Leaf Green. We all know Blastoise is better than Venusaur.

In fact, Squirtle is the best starter. :D

Question for Pokemon fans: I want to get into a GBA Pokemon, not least because John over here is going Pokemon crazy and pesters me every time I see him to start up. :)

I'll be playing through a Japanese copy, of course...should I go with Pokemon Fire Red or play the upcoming Pokemon Emerald? I know Emerald has some visual enhancements in the battles ... are there any other differences a Pokemon neophyte like myself should know about? Thanks!

cvxfreak

Get one game from the Hoenn series, and one from the Kanto series, and if possible, Colosseum. So, your combinations are as follows:

Ruby/Fire Red
Ruby/Leaf Green
Emerald/Fire Red
Emerald/Leaf Green
Sapphire/Fire Red
Sapphire/Leaf Green

The bolded ones are the best combinations, since LG has one more Pokemon than FR, and Emerald is the expansion, so it's bound to be good. Kyogre >>>>>>>>>>>>> Groudon, so Sapphire is also recommended.

CVXFREAK said:
The bolded ones are the best combinations, since LG has one more Pokemon than FR, and Emerald is the expansion, so it's bound to be good. Kyogre >>>>>>>>>>>>> Groudon, so Sapphire is also recommended.

Well, John has Leaf Green, so I'm getting Fire Red. :p he'll just have to GIVE me that extra Pokemon!!

Okay, let me try rephrasing the question: if I get ONE Pokemon game with the intent of playing/trading with someone who is 42 hours into Leaf Green, should it be Fire Red or Emerald.

I love Squirtle, and I like Wortortle, but Blastoise sucks.

Squirtle > Charmander > Bulbasaur
Wortortle > Ivysaur > Charmeleon
Charizard > Venusaur > Blastoise

IMo, of course.

Rorschach

BobbyRobby said:
I love Squirtle, and I like Wortortle, but Blastoise sucks.

Squirtle > Charmander > Bulbasaur
Wortortle > Ivysaur > Charmeleon
Charizard > Venusaur > Blastoise

IMo, of course.
That's about right, except Bulbasaur gets you through the first few gyms pretty fast. As overall pokemon (if you want to keep them from evolving for whatever reason) the above is true, though. (I usually picked Charmander) :p

JackFrost2012 said:
Well, John has Leaf Green, so I'm getting Fire Red. :p he'll just have to GIVE me that extra Pokemon!!

Okay, let me try rephrasing the question: if I get ONE Pokemon game with the intent of playing/trading with someone who is 42 hours into Leaf Green, should it be Fire Red or Emerald.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald pokemon can't be traded with LeafGreen/FireRed pokemon until you beat the Elite 4 (basically most of the way through the game). So with Emerald while you would definitely have a much different stock of pokemon than John, you wouldn't be able to do anything trade wise yet.

So basically, go with Fire Red if you want to trade before YOU are 40+ hours in.

The gameplay from all of the Pokemon titles won't just let him trade without limits though; keep in mind that you need badges to properly control pokemon. (IE: If you only have the first badge and yet you've been given a LV99 pokemon, be prepared the kind of shenanigans you would normally see Dragon Quest Jokers perform.)

FANBOY EDIT1: Fire Red also has Delibird, so you're basically set. Woooo!
FANBOY EDIT2: Charizard has nothing on Typhlosion.

0wn3d said:
Yeah, I would have rather America recieved "Water Blue" substituted for Leaf Green. We all know Blastoise is better than Venusaur.

Actually, I thought Pikachu was the best starter - lightning just tore through most of the gyms. Pokemon Yellow really was the best of the first GB generation.

Crazymoogle said:
FANBOY EDIT1: Fire Red also has Delibird, so you're basically set. Woooo!

Is that a Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon? Also ... who do you recommend as far as starters go? I'm partial to Squirtle, myself, but folks don't seem to think he evolves very well. Charmander, then? Hrms.

JackFrost2012 said:
Is that a Ruby/Sapphire Pokemon? Also ... who do you recommend as far as starters go? I'm partial to Squirtle, myself, but folks don't seem to think he evolves very well. Charmander, then? Hrms.

Delibird is from Gold/Silver, but is now in Fire Red as well (not leaf green). He's basically the USPS of pokemon.

For starters; previous experience tells me Fire pokemon are the way to go. Typhlosion and Blaziken were absolute monsters with Pokemon Silver and Pokemon Ruby, so I imagine Charmander/Charizard would turn out that way as well. Usually Fire pokemon get the shaft for the first few gyms and then turn into party requisite thereafter.

Squirtle/Blastoise isn't too shabby either with stuff like Water Pump and Rain Dance, but it takes too long to get those moves, and you will be crossing so much water in the game that you can just fish for water pokemon anyway (like Gyrados, who is a lot more powerful right out of the bag). Fire Pokemon are definitely the hardest of the three types to find.

I suppose if you really liked punishment you could go with Bulbasaur, but by the time you really need grass pokemon you will probably have a good half dozen in the lineup.

Top Bottom