• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: The Terrifying (and Sometimes Terrible) History of Alien Games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Join us as we guide you through the history of all Alien games, stretching back over 40 years from early Alien video games like Alien (Atari 2600) all the way to Alien Isolation!

Alien (1979), written by Dan O'Bannon and directed by Sir Ridley Scott, is a sci-fi masterpiece which should need little introduction. A part sci-fi, part slasher smash hit of absolutely soaring standards, Alien is broadly regarded as one of the most important and influential science fiction and horror movies ever made – and deservedly so. It’s also a member of an elite list of fabulous film series that really should’ve stopped at just the one sequel. What you may not know, however, is that Alien was already an established multimedia franchise well before its first theatrical sequel arrived in 1986. Here's the history of every Alien video game.

MYjUE34.png

Remember Station 19 GIF by ABC Network

makaveli60

I wanted to post that the most terrible thing by far about this franchise is the Alien Isolation review score by that IGN “journalist” but the OP is already satisfying in this sense. Noice

Vick

Gold Member
I wanted to post that the most terrible thing by far about this franchise is the Alien Isolation review score by that IGN “journalist” but the OP is already satisfying in this sense. Noice
Same. Won't even give them the view.

Naaah some of yall delusional. Alien Isolation WAS trash. Trash when it released, slighter better trash today if you compare it to modern titles. Still trash xD
mrv1clN.jpg

Alien Resurrectionon PS1 is well worth checking out.

It was overlooked due to coming out late in the console’s lifespan and being notoriously difficult. Thankfully the Infinite Health cheat makes it quite enjoyable.

First console game to implement the modern console FPS control scheme by default too

mitch1971

Gold Member
Were IGN the guys who in their review criticised the control scheme for one of the Alien games, which pretty much became the standard for FPS shooters?

nial

Using the Xbox 360 cover of Alien: Isolation is slightly bothering me. Just, why?

Last edited:

bundylove

Today's controversial opinion: Alien Trilogy is an absolutely terrific game and I'd pay an un-Godly amount of money for a remaster from Night Dive.
Funny you say this as this was thought a few months ago.

What a fantastic game.

This and alien isolation are amongs my top 20 games.

bundylove

Was GameSpot, by the time TimeSplitters (PS2) and Halo (original Xbone) arrived everyone had accepted them
M1fyAQR.png
Lets be frank. This game was so hard i had to use god mode to even make it past the first section.

The controls just added to the difficulty and mind you back then this was a real a struggle. It took me some time to get use to this mechanic.

peek

Same. Won't even give them the view.

mrv1clN.jpg

Yeaaah, yeaah 😅
The game was absolute trash and no one can convince me otherwise. Its a hallway walking simulator with an alien they just put in your face without any thought, forcing you to use the half baked "stealth" mechanics... all the while you get to play wariorware at each door between zones.

4/10

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'll need to replay Alien: Isolation but I'm still confident it's not good. It has the vibe but the way it's designed is EXTREMELY against replay value like other survival horror games.

bundylove

Yeaaah, yeaah 😅
The game was absolute trash and no one can convince me otherwise. Its a hallway walking simulator with an alien they just put in your face without any thought, forcing you to use the half baked "stealth" mechanics... all the while you get to play wariorware at each door between zones.

4/10
Boy you are wrong. And lame

Paasei

IGN gave Alien Isolation a 5.9 and gave Concord a 7. Remember this next time you watch or read a review from them

to be fair, IGN was never a good source for reviews. There’s completely random reviewers every day of the week.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Today's controversial opinion: Alien Trilogy is an absolutely terrific game and I'd pay an un-Godly amount of money for a remaster from Night Dive.

That's not controversial at all.

I'd also kill for a Alien Trilogy remaster.

Probably my 2nd favourite Alien game, just behind Capcom's Alien Vs Predator (which also needs to be ported to consoles and PC)

Top Bottom