• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGNPC vs Kohan fanatics: Round one. IGN Kohan aplogists?!

Mrbob

Suck it Kohan fanatics? Sounds like you don't know sheeit about your beloved series! :D

http://pc.ign.com/articles/529/529506p1.html

All that's changed now with Kohan 2. Though we've seen the title running a few times before, this is the first chance we've had to sit down with and try it out ourselves. The build we've been playing comes with one scripted ingle player mission and an open-ended skirmish mode. After running through both we're even more excited to try a more full-featured version later this year.

There's obviously a bit more work that needs to go into the game, both in terms of content and functionality. In terms of content, we're obviously still waiting to see more single player missions and more multiplayer options. In terms of features the advanced AI functions are still being put in and the team is also working on polishing and optimizing the game. Still, even at this stage it's easy to see that Kohan II has kept everything we loved about the original but puts it in a much more attractive visual package. We'll be sure to keep a close eye on this one in the coming months.

LOL. This last comment is contrary to everything I have read from Kohan fanatics. So is teh money hat being thrown around? :p

Dead

well not really...yet
Still, even at this stage it's easy to see that Kohan II has kept everything we loved about the original but puts it in a much more attractive visual package. We'll be sure to keep a close eye on this one in the coming months.
complete and utter bullshit.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Mrbob said:
Suck it Kohan fanatics? Sounds like you don't know sheeit about your beloved series! :D

Yeah dude, the IGN staff has put the hundreds of hours into the first few games we have.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You don't want me to start ranting about this. Just shut the hell up, bob, end the fucking thread, and let's move on to talking about how Dawn of War is cool and how Half Life 2 will never come out.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just curious, what exactly is wrong with Kohan 2 that has all of you worked up in a tizzy?

Humor us uninitiated.

Mrbob

Uh oh. Lets just say it sounds like the game isn't living up to expectations. I thought it is hilarious that through all the negativity IGN shines in with such a beaming preview. Doesn't mention at all about how the game is broken compared to its predecessors.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Brandon F said:
Just curious, what exactly is wrong with Kohan 2 that has all of you worked up in a tizzy?

Humor us uninitiated.

It's... it's... *sobs*

You've played KIS right Brandon? Now imagine if they took all the support units away except three, your standard magician (fireball), standard cleric (heal), and standard ranger (trailblazing and now battlechant). The company system, which is really the big strategic draw of Kohan, is now totally done for as you can get at most 3 different combinations with 3 different support units, meaning that it's impossible to explore the type of stat boosting or damage dealing that made KAG so infinitely replayable to us. That is what kills me the most as that's what I enjoyed the most out of the game, being able to create companies that would essentially beat my opponent based on stat differences from base units. Not to mention that in KoW the whole idea of terrain for advantage is gone (still there, but much much more difficult to use) and lots of strategy is totally wasted.

Add to the fact that it is now impossible to just send a couple of units to do some serious damage because of the way that towns and economies are now structured. You lose if you don't get your economy off the ground right away, or if you don't get that settling spot. It's not a matter of even strategic advantages anymore, but about who can zerg the other person first.

epmode

Ferrarisimo said:
It's a preview. If the game stinks, it's not their place to say so after playing an incomplete preview build.
of course it's their place. those are basic gameplay complaints, not bugs.

Limedust

My only hope for the game is that the modding abilities of the game are as great as TGS claims they will be so that all the broken shit can be fixed via mod (and this includes somebody redoing the nasty Warcraft III ripoff art).

Top Bottom