• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impossible Ports made possible!

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
Those were terrible versions. I was more impressed by Virtua Fighter on the Sega 32X and Fighters Megamix reverse engineering Virtua Fighter 3 for VF characters. Another amazing one is Galaga on the NES. It plays and sounds as good as the arcade version.

P.S. Storage limitations on Resident Evil 2 on N64 were crazy though.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I didn’t know race driving existed on game boy but just looking at it, it’s obviously much better than the snes version which makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyway I vote for Contra 3 on Game Boy. Half Life 2 and Doom 3 on Xbox are also insane.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

81mjwmnUJQL.jpg

The ZX Spectrum did Elite and it had no 3D hardware so one wonders why people go on the NES version. Also Chase HQ was brilliant on the CPC and ZX Spectrum simply because of John O'Brien handling the coding while Prope messed up Outrun on micro's; a lot of ports are helped with the team handling the ports and not just the hardware they're being ported too.

Some of mine would be

Dungeon Master PC Engine CD - To get that game running in just 64 KB was amazing back then

Crazy Taxi - GBA

Layer Section 2 Sega Saturn - It gets little credit but its almost a perfect port of the PS1 game bar the mesh, and some of the best polygon handling seen on the Saturn.

Road Rash Master System - So close to the MD game

Doom 3 - Xbox

Quake Sega Saturn - Lobotomy were GODS

Virtua Cop - Sega Saturn -it's basically the Arcade game in the home and runs at the same speed too

Half Life 2 Xbox - Its all there and doesn't play too bad either

SirTerry-T

Gold Member
Great video showcasing some great titles of the decades gone by that should not have been possible on the platform the developers targeted....highlights include - Elite running on the NES, when the NES couldn't even do 3D, Streetfighter Alpha 2 for the SNES...and many more!

Didn't Elite on the NES "fake" the 3D graphics by using sprites?

cireza

Road Rash Master System - So close to the MD game
Great pick. Having dived pretty deeply in MS/GG games, there are actually many games that are technically incredible on this SEGA 8 bits hardware.

A favorite pick of mine are the Shining Force games on Game Gear. I made an elaborate post (in French) about the technical details explaining how incredibly complicated it was to achieve the presentation they got on the console with only 2 palettes of 16 colors. Which is basically the exact same presentation as on MegaDrive.

In case some might be interested :

Other impressive games are the Mortal Kombat and Golden Axe ports using background tiles.

Last edited:

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus

ProTip: There are no “impossible” ports of videogames. Anything can be achieved with enough knowledge, time and programming skills.

My favorite example is the Axelay tech demo created for the NES. It shows the stunning mode-7 warping effect from the overhead stages, alongside an impressive number of sprites, all without flicker or slowdown. Granted, there is no collision detection, player control, music or enemy AI, all of which would impact performance. It’s just a graphics demo. But it shows just how far older hardware can be pushed by those who have mastered Assembly code.

Technically, almost everything seen on the Atari 2600 was “impossible.” That machine was built to play tank and paddle games, not Space Invaders. Yet the engineers found a way, and here we are.

It’s like seeing all those Doom ports on every electronic device known to exist. If you have the time and the coding chops, anything is possible.

Skifi28

They had to cut geometry by half remove visual effects, downgrade textures, simplify environments etc,etc,et, so yeah In its original form it was not possible on PS2 😚
I'm no expert, but I don't think impossible port stands for "impossible to port as is and some stuff has to be changed." That's basically most ports.

Last edited:

Holammer

ProTip: There are no “impossible” ports of videogames. Anything can be achieved with enough knowledge, time and programming skills.

My favorite example is the Axelay tech demo created for the NES. It shows the stunning mode-7 warping effect from the overhead stages, alongside an impressive number of sprites, all without flicker or slowdown. Granted, there is no collision detection, player control, music or enemy AI, all of which would impact performance. It’s just a graphics demo. But it shows just how far older hardware can be pushed by those who have mastered Assembly code.

Technically, almost everything seen on the Atari 2600 was “impossible.” That machine was built to play tank and paddle games, not Space Invaders. Yet the engineers found a way, and here we are.

It’s like seeing all those Doom ports on every electronic device known to exist. If you have the time and the coding chops, anything is possible.

We could use another word, but "impossible" is the recognized term now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Resident Evil 4 on PS2.

Also a good example. Outside of one extra load screen, and the cutscenes being turned into videos, the entire game made its way safely.

They even added a whole new campaign with Separate Ways.

Last edited:

cireza

Axelay uses a line scroll effect, not mode 7. So this makes it more "manageable" on 8 bits hardware.

Technically, to achieve this, I think that a solution is simply to have a much larger map with all 8 pixels tiles that scroll, and then skip 7 pixels, then 6, then 5 progressively as the screen renders by updating the vertical position at set line interrupts.

So as long as you have :
- enough vertical room in you virtual area (which the NES has, it can have the size of two screens either vertically or horizontally)
- a scanline counter (requires additional hardware in the cart for the NES lol)
- ability to use interrupts at specific scanlines

Then you probably can achieve this effect without too much trouble. At least, this is how I would code it.

I think it would be more difficult on the Master System as the virtual area is super small. Definitely possible to some extent on Game Gear though, as the screen resolution is smaller.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I played it on PS4 Pro and have to agree. Despite the shitshow at that time, it was still impressive that it was running fairly ok on a 5400 rpm drive, despite the crashes.
I want to know if there is an urban legend that someone has completed Cyberpunk 2077 on a vanilla PS4.

Unknown?

They had to cut geometry by half remove visual effects, downgrade textures, simplify environments etc,etc,et, so yeah In its original form it was not possible on PS2 😚
It did look worse but not that much. It wasn't like GBA ports of console games.

Also there were other games on PS2 that made the RE4 port look bad. Silent Hill 3 smoked the PS2 version in graphics.

Top Bottom