• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Impossible to find movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabris

Anyone have any of those movies that are just absolutely impossible to find but you really want to own?

The one I'm looking for is called "Hurt". Just watched it tonight. From what I could find online, seems to be a canadian based film (yay!) who's distributer isn't going to release a VHS or DVD. No pirate copies anywhere either from what I can gather.

I don't have a VCR (gave it away, no point with dvd player and the internet), it's playing one last time on Movie Central before it's not being shown again (I think it may be one of those "gotta play a couple canadian movies every so often" kind of things). That's happening at 1am this morning, so I don't have any time to go and borrow a VCR :(

Oh, and if any of you have seen the movie, give your opinion :)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Untill the DVD release this year you couldn't find a cut of "The Goonies" that included the octopus scene. I don't really prefer that cut, it was just impossible to find unless you had the "bootleg taped from HBO version"

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
scola said:
Untill the DVD release this year you couldn't find a cut of "The Goonies" that included the octopus scene. I don't really prefer that cut, it was just impossible to find unless you had the "bootleg taped from HBO version"

what octopus scene?

EDIT

oh wait.. i remember it now..!

Tabris

Oh, and another canadian movie.

Called "Fancy Dancing". I also want to pick that up, but I can't find the dvd anywhere :(

Teddman

Richard Pryor's comedy Moving isn't on DVD

Ditto with Brando's One-Eyed Jacks (bootleg copies only) and the animated movie Rock N Rule.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Somehow I don't think this thread is about recent films not yet released on DVD...

So I'll mention the full and original cut of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. I really wish it still existed, or was found intact. I'd love to see it in its entirety.

Shinobi

The timing couldn't be more appropriate...

B000009RXT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This was one of the coolest movies ever when I saw it back in the day, even with the cheesey ass music. I have no idea how it'd holds up now, but I'd sure like to find out on a DVD release. As it is I might just order the video from Amazon eventually, if they still have copies of it.

Teddman

Okay, how about the original four-hour-plus version of Brando's One-Eyed Jacks? Paramount re-cut it to 2 hours before releasing it, and he disavowed the movie. Now no one even knows if the original version exists.

Shompola

Banned
when there is a movie you have seen on tv and can't find a copy of it anywhere, best place to investigate further is to contact the tv network and ask them for directions. A lot of times they can sell you copies(especially when the movie is produced by the tv network) but it will be very expensive, just remember that.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Det Nya Landet & Peut-Etre. Both great movies, but no dvd/vhs release in a language I understand. Saw the on tv, didn't tape them (just kinda dropped in) :/

Flynn

What we're talking about is either the notorious OOP, or out of print or never released.

Back in my video store days here were some of the most notorious OOP titles:

Heavy Metal (now available)
Zorro: The Gay Blade
Waterbabies
The Little Mermaid (now available)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Flynn said:
What we're talking about is either the notorious OOP, or out of print or never released.

Back in my video store days here were some of the most notorious OOP titles:

Heavy Metal (now available)
Zorro: The Gay Blade
Waterbabies
The Little Mermaid (now available)

I have a copy of Zorro, I've always been curious if it's the only release it had. Distribution was handled by some company called Image Entertainment. It's also my only dvd to sport a Dolby Digital Mono track.

- Darkman and Zorro the Gay Blade are both on amazon for sale for those interested.

Shinobi said:
The timing couldn't be more appropriate...

B000009RXT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This was one of the coolest movies ever when I saw it back in the day, even with the cheesey ass music. I have no idea how it'd holds up now, but I'd sure like to find out on a DVD release. As it is I might just order the video from Amazon eventually, if they still have copies of it.

That movie seriously kicked ass. Loved it as a kid, not only cuz I loved cartoons, but it had a ton of awesome comedic talent (I've been watching SNL since I was 4, no joke).

On a similar note, I'd love to see the Last Polka, another film based on SCTV characters. It was released on video, but that was over ten years ago I think and has long since been out of print.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
There's this movie called "They Call Her One-Eye" that Tarantino talked about during the interviews around the release of Kill Bill Vol. 1. Finding a copy of it, on VHS or DVD, seems nearly impossible.

FnordChan

I don't so much have "impossible to find" movies as I have "available, but an incredible pain in the ass to track down" movies.

For example, I'm a fan of documentary director Kim Longinotto. Unfortunatly, her flicks are only available through Women Make Movies, which sells VHS copies of her filims for around $300. Of course, I could just rent them for around $90 instead (unless I wanted to rent a film print, which is around $250). As I'm not a library or an institution who wants to screen these flicks, this is a bit out of my price range. This leads to adventures with me trying to get restricted-circulation VHS copies out of the local university libraries long enough to copy them. Sigh.

I'm also a fan of Peter Watkins, who is somewhat more accessable. Culloden and The War Game are available as nice R2 DVD editions from BFI and I was recently astounded to learn that a French DVD release of Punishment Park was available. And I can pay a bootleger $20 for a copy of Privilege. So, as long as I'm willing to import and shell out a fair amount of cash, I can find some of his flicks. Now, to track down a copy of The Peace Game, which, to the best of my knowledge, has never had a home video release...

FnordChan

FnordChan

Willco said:
You're so sophisticated, FnordChan. AND I HATE YOU FOR IT.

If it makes you feel better, I spend most of my video-hunting time tracking down cartoons. Anyone got a copy of "Koko's Earth Control" handy?

FnordChan

Tsubaki

distantmantra said:
After years of waiting, Miramax is finally releasing the Japanese film "Shall We Dance?" on DVD this October....

Very cool.... but will they have the uncut version? That's the deciding factor for me.

Tsubaki said:
Very cool.... but will they have the uncut version? That's the deciding factor for me.

I had no idea there was an uncut version, could you elaborate? According to DVD Aficionado, its the 119 minute US version of the film.

xsarien

daedsiluap
I'm grateful beyond words that I found this in a store before Disney pulled it at the absolute last minute:

7094.jpg

Two copies, even. One went to a friend as a birthday gift. The other is mine, Mine, MINE!

=W=

I want a DVD of "Nate and Hayes" starring Tommy Lee Jones and Michael O'Keefe! It's the poor man's Indiana Jones!

Speaking of Goonies, I still want to see that four hour cut that they had after the movie was done filming.

I've been trying to find Snow White on DVD in good condition for awhile now. Most of the copies I've found are a total mess. Goddamn Disney and their limited release bullshit.

I've had a hard time finding The Phantom Tollbooth in good condition too. I wish that'd just hit DVD already.

Acrylamid

Gods must be crazy IV + V
I haven't seen III-V and I don't expect them to be as good as I + II, but I'm just so curious how they are... I think I'll buy the third one at amazon.de , it's only 10 €.

carpal

It looks like the Criterion DVD release of The Killer is still out of print and tough to find (unless you want to shell out big bucks on eBay). I'd imagine that there are plenty more discontinued Criterion Collection DVDs and LDs that are just has hard to come by.

Tsubaki

distantmantra said:
I had no idea there was an uncut version, could you elaborate? According to DVD Aficionado, its the 119 minute US version of the film.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply there is/was going to be an uncut version of the film.

Basically, when Miramax or whoever brought the film here, they cut out some character development parts that they thought dragged down the movie before they released it. I want to see the version that they made for Japan.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0117615/ <--- btw, original was 136 mins.

calder

Marconelly said:
Turkish remake of Star Wars.

You can see some clips here, though:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/turkish_star_wars/trailers.php

It's impossibly, stupidly hillarious
Oh. My. God.

Easily the greatest thing about it is the way the guy in the cockpit will be talking, and the scenery behind him will change WHILE HE'S TALKING. So he'll be barking instructions with a flight of X-Wings bluescreened (but nothing as complex as actual bluescreening) behing him and midsentence the background will change to a closeup shot of the Death Star or the lightspeed effect.

If not that, the way they used that old WW2 movie explosion noise (you've heard it a zillion times before) for *every single* explosion on screen.

BlackMage

Banned
Fucking Disney movies that they put in their stupid vault and you can't buy for another 10 years. That shit pisses me off.

While not incredibly hard to find online, offline on the other hand I am having a terrible time getting my hands on a copy of Willy Wonka DVD in widescreen. Every copy I run into happens to be fullscreen and I'm nearly fed up.

Tim

Gambit, featuring Michael Caine.
I loved that movie when I saw it but I can't find it anywhere.
gambit2.jpg

DarthWufei said:
While not incredibly hard to find online, offline on the other hand I am having a terrible time getting my hands on a copy of Willy Wonka DVD in widescreen. Every copy I run into happens to be fullscreen and I'm nearly fed up.

My girlfriend bought a widescreen copy at Fred Meyer (department/grocery store chain in the Northwest) back in May. They had tons of them for $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom