• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hello, I am Sadsic, I make electronic music (http://sadsic.bandcamp.com/), and am interested in making music for video games; I just composed a bunch of music for a video game made by some GAFfers and really enjoyed it and wouldn't mind composing for other small projects like I'm seeing. Is anyone in need of audio here?

I would recommend posting in these two forums:
http://forums.indiegamer.com/forumdisplay.php?13-Music-amp-Sound-Portfolios&
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=43.0

Good luck!

Our office got broken into and around $1500 worth of stuff was stolen. Mostly Xbox consoles, headphones, and other stuff that was lying around.

PCs, TVs and drives still here thankfully.

Jeez man, I'm sorry. Any of it insured by chance?

Blizzard

Banned
Very interesting game jam coming next month :

http://fuckthisjam.com/

So indie game gaf ... wich is the genre you hate most ?
I thought there were quite a few entries for the FPS-specific game jam. I agree that sports games would be a more common choice for this. :p I don't actually HATE sports games, they're probably just the genre I have the least interest in.

Ranger X

Hello, I am Sadsic, I make electronic music (http://sadsic.bandcamp.com/), and am interested in making music for video games; I just composed a bunch of music for a video game made by some GAFfers and really enjoyed it and wouldn't mind composing for other small projects like I'm seeing. Is anyone in need of audio here?

Pretty cool your album there. But I am not looking for music composition, I need sound effect production much more.

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
This is probably the best place for it...

POLYCOUNTxDOTA_header_REV.png

There is a comp going on for 3D artists to create items for DOTA2.
http://www.polycount.com/dota2polycountcontest

The same site (Polycount) did a similar contest a few years ago for TF2, and some artists received royalties over $40K from the sale of their contest entries.

So if any is of the 3d art mind, I encourage you to check it out!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Very interesting game jam coming next month :

http://fuckthisjam.com/

So indie game gaf ... wich is the genre you hate most ?
Sounds awesome!
Our office got broken into and around $1500 worth of stuff was stolen. Mostly Xbox consoles, headphones, and other stuff that was lying around.

PCs, TVs and drives still here thankfully.
Not so awesome. Sorry to hear that.
Did you lose any progress or dev units?

embalm

We finally decided on an art direction for buildings and ground textures for our RTS. Now we just have to tile everything together for level building.

sample2.jpg

Hinomura

Dear Gaf,

I'm doing a complete redesign of Space Cralwer graphics. I've dismissed the 70s and the 80s look in favour of the 90s (PC Engine, Megadrive, Super Famicom). Please, let me know, your feedback is very much appreciated! :)

Player ship (70s, 80s and 90s - final version)
iCyaMfnwwmgTQ.png

I have a couple of redesigned enemy ships to show if anyone is interested! ^__^

Blizzard

Banned
We finally decided on an art direction for buildings and ground textures for our RTS. Now we just have to tile everything together for level building.

sample2.jpg
This style is cool! If I may offer one opinion, it would be to slightly shade the left side of the columns. Since you appear to be going with hard-coded shadows, shadowing one side slightly should make the columns fit into the scene slightly better, I think.

bumpkin

Man, talk about getting a monkey off of my back... After a bunch more work and the help/suggestions of a few peeps here, I've gotten my collision detection code working markedly better than before. At least now, my sprite doesn't clip into anything it shouldn't. I'm still having issues with things momentarily tunneling into walls before being corrected, but that's minor compared to the problems I was having before. The only bright idea I have for fixing the tunneling is to only allow one collision and correction per axis, per frame.

In my previous attempt, I was doing this sort of hackish check of all of the surrounding tiles - based on a direction - and iterating through the map to figure out when collisions were happening. It worked in a few select perfect situations, but in cases where there was any mismatch in size, it flat out broke.

The code I'm using now is utilizing a corner check approach, with a bit of contingency code to handle when the sizes aren't one-to-one...

Code:
    // Get the Sprite's current pre-movement bounding box and rect
    BoundingBox_t box = GetBoundingBox();

// Variables to hold our adjustments
    GLuint adjustedX = 0, adjustedY = 0;

// Variables to use for tile intersections and corner checks
    GLuint upY, downY, leftX, rightX;

// Only run if a movement is happening on either axis
    if (moveX != 0 || moveY != 0)
    {
        box = GetBoundingBox();

// Make "what if?" adjustments
        box.top += adjustedY;
        box.bottom += adjustedY;
        box.left += adjustedX;
        box.right += adjustedX;

// Calculate which row and column each edge of the Sprite would be occuping
        upY = (box.top / TILE_HEIGHT);
        downY = (box.bottom / TILE_HEIGHT);
        leftX = (box.left / TILE_WIDTH);
        rightX = (box.right / TILE_WIDTH);

// Left and Right movement to follow...
        if (mMoveLeft)
        {
            adjustedX -= moveX;

// Iterate through the rows the Sprite occupies
            for (GLuint r = upY; r <= downY; r++)
            {
                // Check "topRight" and "bottomRight" solidity of neighboring Tiles
                if (tilemaps[0]->GetTileAtIntersection(r, leftX)->IsSolid())
                {
                    adjustedX = 0;
                }
            }
        }
        else if (mMoveRight)
        {
            adjustedX += moveX;

// Iterate through the rows the Sprite occupies
            for (GLuint r = upY; r <= downY; r++)
            {
                // Check "topLeft" and "bottomLeft" solidity of neighboring Tiles
                if (tilemaps[0]->GetTileAtIntersection(r, rightX)->IsSolid())
                {
                    adjustedX = 0;
                }
            }
        }

// Record the previous coordinates
        mLastPositionX = mPositionX;
        mLastPositionY = mPositionY;

// Apply the coordinate adjustments
        mPositionX += adjustedX;
        mPositionY += adjustedY;

The part that's vexing me now is handling a jump mechanic. I had something in place that kind of worked, but only for when a press of the jump button commits you to a full jump unless your head hits something. I'd really like something that's receptive to how long you're holding the button, but am just having a heck of a time getting something working.

I tell ya, if it's not one thing, it's another!

embalm

This style is cool! If I may offer one opinion, it would be to slightly shade the left side of the columns. Since you appear to be going with hard-coded shadows, shadowing one side slightly should make the columns fit into the scene slightly better, I think.
Thanks for the compliments and the tip.

Those obelisks are actually going to be 3D models and will receive lighting/shadows in game. We were just using them as place holders to get the style set.

Jeez man, I'm sorry. Any of it insured by chance?

Yeah it was insured. However it comes out to about the same as the deductible so it is just a bunch of out of pocket expenses for us. Builds of Arcadecraft were on those Xboxs too but no one can play them without the gamertags/XNA membership. It sucks because as it is we don't make any money. Right now those machines have probably been traded for heroine.

whitehawk

Banned
Dear Gaf,

I'm doing a complete redesign of Space Cralwer graphics. I've dismissed the 70s and the 80s look in favour of the 90s (PC Engine, Megadrive, Super Famicom). Please, let me know, your feedback is very much appreciated! :)

iCyaMfnwwmgTQ.png

80s up, 90s below

iAUr6tD3r5r1F.png
90s is much better.

80s up, 90s below

iAUr6tD3r5r1F.png

Dear Gaf,

iCyaMfnwwmgTQ.png

I like the more refined silhouettes of the 90s ships, but the designs feel a little too busy. I'm sorry, I look at the blue ship and think the engines on the ends of the wings are 2 thumbs up. They are engines, right?

Blizzard

Banned
gui10mvpuy.png

I finally finished adding default style support to the button style system. Styles can be swapped around and modified, allowing multiple buttons to change appearance at once. I plan to handle region and label styles next, then a callback change, then potentially region/widget nesting issues (if I decide to support nested nesting), and finally I will have hopefully moved to the point where I start creating a simple GUI editor/layout tool for an efficient GUI development and modification pipeline.

Updated TODO items from previous posts in this thread with completed items marked out:
  • Support default/alternate graphical styles on buttons.
  • Support automatic text rendering on buttons so I can just provide a string when I create one, rather than having to manually edit the text for each button image.
  • Make GUI regions (my equivalent of popups or windows or frames) do a 2D offset before they start drawing their widgets, so that widget coordinates will/can be relative to the region, rather than absolute coordinates for the entire screen. This would allow me to move entire regions along with all their widgets by just changing the region position, instead of having to adjust the coordinates of the widgets as well.
  • Use my newly created GUI widgets and event handling to create...a GUI editor that helps me streamline the process of creating the actual game GUI. GAMECEPTION.
  • As part of that last item I would need to support a file format and I don't really want to use XML...but I'm putting off this step until when and if I actually get into the GUI editor. Scary.

• Add support for rendering buttons in sections, meaning a single style image can be used to render buttons of various sizes with sharp borders instead of fixed size or blurry scaling.
  • Add support for text labels, instead of requiring button images to have the text baked in. (fonts/sizes/color support would be nice here too, depending on how much trouble it is at the moment...as long as I make sure my design is feasible with adding that support in the future, I may leave it off for now) (note from 10/10/2012: custom font and color support has been added as well)
  • Add support for default button styles, possibly with font/size/color info as well, so that I can create quick test buttons without having to set the information for each one. I think this would be more of a convenience/testing thing, since if/when I end up with a UI that has buttons of multiple styles, I will want to explicitly specify the style of each button anyway.
It took maybe 2.5 weeks to implement things such as the above items, but at least I feel like I'm making a little progress. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I put this in the background and listened to all of it, not bad!

missile

A friend of mine recently sold me an Xbox with some games preinstalled. But
there is one I can't play, it's called Arcadecraft and I haven't seen it
anywhere else. Anyone?
;)

You could start a NeoGAF demoscene group... ;)

Love the minimalist style. Reminded me of the level intros in Ranger X, seeing as he just posted here.
Oh, different colors! Can't effort it! xD The style will remain minimalistic,
because I will focus on the pure essence of the prototype. But it's likely
that the full game will also have a very minimalistic style for a reason.
A NeoGAF demogroup sounds interesting, but I have a game to make.

... It took maybe 2.5 weeks to implement things such as the above items, but at least I feel like I'm making a little progress. :)
Progress is visisble, I can confirm this.

@embalm: The art looks pretty good, if you ask me.
@Hinomura: Players ship, 70s best.

PS: Thanks to Andrex and Teknopathetic for saving my gaf life! :)

Paz

This thread is really great at inspiring you to actually make something :)

Last weekend my friend and I decided to make a game from start to finish, just for fun and to see if we could actually get something half decent together. The result is a game called Antibody where you must fight against a swath of evil microbes in a miniature arena.

The game is available for free at http://circleofjudgement.com/antibody/ and if you like it then please share it on and post up your high scores! Any feedback is also very much appreciated so let us know what you think about the game.

sshot_01.jpg

sshot_02.jpg

JulianImp

Last weekend my friend and I decided to make a game from start to finish, just for fun and to see if we could actually get something half decent together. The result is a game called Antibody where you must fight against a swath of evil microbes in a miniature arena.

The game is available for free at http://circleofjudgement.com/antibody/ and if you like it then please share it on and post up your high scores! Any feedback is also very much appreciated so let us know what you think about the game.

sshot_01.jpg

sshot_02.jpg

It looks quite nice! I'll try it out when I get a chance. What applications did you use to make it?

As a sort of mini-update on my project, I've been rewriting the menu system from scratch, and went from the previous implementarion's twoo hundred-plus lines of clunky, hard-coded stuff that was almost impossible to modify to a graph-like node-based camera transition system that is a lot easier to read and build upon.

I'm having lots of trouble coming up with a way to make the levels look good with my limited artistic skills, which is kind of discouraging. I really should stop coding and get to drawing mock-ups again, despite being better at doing the former, since I guess I'll never get better at coming up with decent graphics if I keep postponing them.

Paz

We built it in unity, using Max, Photoshop, and Audacity for the assets, I think the music was made in Reason but I'm a terrible musician who is scared of that stuff so I'm not sure.

I was responsible for the design & audio (sfx) on the project.

full point

Neo Member
Super Zojak

Mcy2a.png
B3ijV.png

I've been working on this for a few months now. I still have a list of things to work on, but the majority of the levels and items are completed at this point.

This is the first game I've made. I wanted to get a better grasp of C# and Unity, and to those ends I'm pretty happy with the results. I had a blast making it, and my hope is that a few people play it and have fun!

You can use keyboard or 360 controller, and you can rebind the default controls in the in-game menu.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

sshot_01.jpg

sshot_02.jpg

a weekend?

fuck me

Hinomura

Ranger X, whitehawk, SanaeAkatsuki and missile thanks for your opinions!

I'm pretty sure I'll go on with the 90s look, but there's a possibility to unlock at least another look ingame (but it's too early to know for sure), main problems are always free time and stamina - ie (even) today my main work took almost 12 hours in front of my PC, so I'll doubt I'll be productive this night. Eek.

PS: Warm Machine I'm very sorry about what happened to your stuff :/ I hope the karma will balance and your Orbitron: Revolution will be quickly greenlit :)

whitehawk

Banned
Today is one of the easiest times to get into the industry. Indie games make it possible for anyone to jump in, I love it.

Although the early 90s was also really easy. I look back to the career of Tommy Tallarico. He travelled to california with no money when he was 21. Got a job selling keyboards at a music store. One day he was wearing a videogame t-shirt. An executive from Virgin Games happened to walk in and notice that, and offered him a job as a videogame tester. This was in the days when videogames weren't as mainstream, and no one had video game shirts back then. Then he begged and begged to give it a shot as a game composer instead of a tester. He was given that shot, and then he kept going from there. Now look at him lol. Of course not everyone was as lucky as him, but I couldn't see that happening today.

The early 2000s seemed the hardest. Games had grown to a level where game budgets were skyrocketing. Indie games also weren't around back then. At least there was no way to share the games properly. Now we have XBLA, Playstation Mobile, Steam Greenlight, iOS etc.

Genji

We built it in unity, using Max, Photoshop, and Audacity for the assets, I think the music was made in Reason but I'm a terrible musician who is scared of that stuff so I'm not sure.

I was responsible for the design & audio (sfx) on the project.

Very impressive, especially considering you guys did it in a weekend. Did you two use any additional Unity 3D plugins to help speed up the dev process? Sign up for some game jams!

Thanks! I definitely plan to bring it to iOS. I just started porting it yesterday and it doesn't look like it'll take me more than a month (gotta redesign all the menus).

I just put Arcadecraft on Greenlight. You can check it out here...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101948773

Thanks guys!

Up-voted both on Steam Greenlight. Good luck!

Ranger X

Ranger X, whitehawk, SanaeAkatsuki and missile thanks for your opinions!

I'm pretty sure I'll go on with the 90s look, but there's a possibility to unlock at least another look ingame (but it's too early to know for sure), main problems are always free time and stamina - ie (even) today my main work took almost 12 hours in front of my PC, so I'll doubt I'll be productive this night. Eek.

PS: Warm Machine I'm very sorry about what happened to your stuff :/ I hope the karma will balance and your Orbitron: Revolution will be quickly greenlit :)

Unlocking some "8-bits mode" would be a nice reward imo. As long as it comes also with 8-bits music! :)

I just put Arcadecraft on Greenlight. You can check it out here...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=101948773

Thanks guys!

Voted! :)

neoneogaffer

Neo Member
If you need collision detection, I recommend using a physics engine, assuming you're OK with having physics-based world. It'll also make your game more extensible in case you need to add more complex objects. I've found that debugging my code is the most frustrating thing in development, especially when you're doing it part time. If you can pick up debugged code, then do it. By making a game, you're going to learn a lot of stuff anyway.

Blizzard

Banned
A big ad campaign. Valve, Greenlight, Valve, Greenlight,.... ah c'mon.
To summarize. Make games, use Value's platform -> make Value richer.
Well the thing is, using Valve's platform can also make individual developers richer (just ask Feep and his famous Scrooge McDuck moneyvault) and have nice features for fans. So it's sort of a win all around. :p I think Valve has done things that are positive influences for the PC/Mac (Linux soon) platforms in general, and indie games in particular. Of course it also benefits Valve, but that doesn't mean there isn't benefit as a whole.

Paz

Very impressive, especially considering you guys did it in a weekend. Did you two use any additional Unity 3D plugins to help speed up the dev process? Sign up for some game jams!

We built all the scripts and assets from scratch with the exception of some post filter scripts that come with Unity.

Was a bit of a push at the end but we were really happy with the results :) Some one post your high score!

Now to relax a bit and think about the next project...

missile

@Blizzard
Fully agree. I have nothing against them going rich beyond everything. Was
just stating what I was getting out of the video from within the article.
Alas they, Valve, don't just do all these things for the sake of it, which is
perfect legit as well. Anyways, I get a bit nervous about seminars where
people say; 'we are successful, some other individuals, too, so you can be
successful, too, just use all our tools and you are fine. Look, everyone uses
them. They are all successful. You can't go wrong! Never!'. Well, kinda. ;)

Genji

Trying out some other ways to randomly generate levels. The first method was using a variation of cellular automata to create large caverns that I then connect. This method is using a maze generator/solver and some 4x4 or 6x6 rooms carved into the maze to create more variation. Also wanted to verify that the enemy ships could navigate the maze.

Everything seems to work okay so far, but still tweaking the ai and pathfinding. Would love to cache known paths somehow, but can't seem to come up with a non-memory intensive method. For optimization right now I do a distance (squared) and raycast check to see if the target is in sight, and if so, just move towards that without doing any pathfinding.

Blizzard

Banned
Everything seems to work okay so far, but still tweaking the ai and pathfinding. Would love to cache known paths somehow, but can't seem to come up with a non-memory intensive method. For optimization right now I do a distance (squared) and raycast check to see if the target is in sight, and if so, just move towards that without doing any pathfinding.
What about calculating the paths when the map is generated? Or, if you are finding paths dynamically, dropping nodes along the path, and storing the coordinates of the path nodes?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Man, going from making 2D graphics to 3D models is hard for me :( And I'm not even attempting anything serious here

Trying out some other ways to randomly generate levels. The first method was using a variation of cellular automata to create large caverns that I then connect. This method is using a maze generator/solver and some 4x4 or 6x6 rooms carved into the maze to create more variation. Also wanted to verify that the enemy ships could navigate the maze.

Good stuff, I didn't like generating levels before but level designing takes some good ass time and effort, I imagine with the implementations of today they shouldn't have to be below manual levels' standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom