• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makai

Davison, you also owe us an explanation ;)

What kind of game is it? You have the coolest looking project here. Is that the map screen? I just noticed that it might be on a geodesic sphere.

Davision

Neo Member
Davison, you also owe us an explanation ;)

What kind of game is it? You have the coolest looking project here. Is that the map screen? I just noticed that it might be on a geodesic sphere.
It is just a map. :)

It is randomly generated from different triangle tiles. Each tile is also a branch and you can choose where to go. It is not geodesic but there is lots of distortion going on that fades. Check out the post on Last Knight's Greenlight page with more details: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/92914705/1391784847 there is also a gif that shows it better.

Blizzard

Banned
Some sort of explanation will be required ;)
Darnit, no one said I had to explain! (it's just an editor I've been working on)

I've been trying to do at least SOME small form of progress every day, so I keep going forwards. Of course, a lot of the things I finish or move off the high priority list are of the form "Well, technically I don't NEED that even though it would be nice, so I will just not do it!"

The best kind of completion!

bumpkin

I started using Trello to keep myself on-task and to always have a visualization of what's been done and what I need to do. I'm not sure if it's because of lessons learned, refusal to fail again or what, but for the first time, I'm actually making forward progress. It's motivating to look at the "Done" column and see stuff finished. Just have to keep it up.

I do have to say that I owe razu for being my game programming Sherpa. His advice and suggestions have me on a good path with a solid foundation.

My current "Doing" task is proving to be one stubborn son of a bitch, but I'll be damned if it's going to best me!

fin

Did a bunch of promo stuff this week, finished up three trailers. Although Youtube is compressing the shat out of them. I've tried a bunch of programs and render settings. Basically my process is render out a .mov using Avid codecs, open that in Hand Brake and render to mp4. Everything looks good till it's online...any suggestions? I was thinking about opening a vimeo account. Here the tutorial I found: http://youtu.be/rWMX5lSvEgY

And some promo screen shots:
iEOllgg6dCgJ9.png

icTG6SVX1tn4u.png

ibvcOJOfmOGD0L.png

ilOFOgyMAnRRp.png

ibh3ye3aFloYeD.png

iPWMkWApCxPA.png

i0XEt2Mdy0eiT.png

Probably won't use all these, have some ideas for others yet. Got the idea from Chopper Mike, vamflax.com is really awesome :)

wondermega

brwip01.png

brwip02.png

brwip03.png

a few WIP images of Blast Rover, a game I like to describe as "Moon Patrol crossed with Super Meat Boy" being created by MTMBStudios & myself

Five

Banned
More like, wasn't a word until THIS game! Bazinga!

Sir Francis Shakespeare made up words too, but I don't see you making fun of HIS games!

Bill Shakespeare used the lines in his plays to provide context for the invented words. "Instantion" by itself doesn't make sense. If I saw that promo, I'd probably assume Instantion was a title.

fin

Ha yeah Instantion isn't ment to be a verb or a thing. It is indeed the title. They are called instances in the game...Man, if I had nickle for every time someone was confused about this game...

Feep

Banned
Ha yeah Instantion isn't ment to be a verb or a thing. It is indeed the title. They are called instances in the game...Man, if I had nickle for every time someone was confused about this game...
It might be worth considering a change. It's okay to use a made up word, but this one is close enough to real word to consider it a mistake, it's unclear how it's pronounced ("Instanchion" or "Instant-ee-on"), and some people might even assume it reads "Instant Ion", which I assume you don't want...

Blizzard

Banned
I guess what they are saying is that "instantiation" is an existing word that would make sense in the context of creating instances -- it's a word used in object-oriented programming.

So if you wanted to use the existing word it's there for the taking, like ripe fruit fresh off the vine!

Screenshot saturday! ...or is it asset saturday... ? Been stuck in animation land since the last update, so no new "screenshots" even though stuff is being made. Should be able to head back to the prototype soon to cram all those new movements in! (sorry about the terrible GIF quality and timings - since eventually this ends up in Construct 2 anyway, the timings get different since each frame gets its own length, but for now, it's basic 10FPS for everyone)

tumblr_inline_n15hhmStOR1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n1ezzx8ohS1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n1ezzpAMt81rfzuuq.gif

tumblr_inline_n1rm8sZ9pM1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n2178gsZxL1rfzuuq.gif
tumblr_inline_n24jpbKvkL1rfzuuq.gif

and the latest WIP as a bonus!

tumblr_inline_n24jppqKyp1rfzuuq.gif

I am super excited to see where this goes.

fin

Yup I know about instantiating objects in game logic. I used to instantiate stuff in Unity all the time till I discovered object pools ;).

Thought it was too long of a word, too many cylibles. But I did not think of other programmers thinking I spelled instantiation wrong. Or maybe people getting offended or thinking i was an indiot. I was seriously just typing stuff into Google translate for like a week and this sounded cool.

Well another thing to procrastinate on...:p Thanks for the feedback.

razu

Did a bunch of promo stuff this week, ...

Probably won't use all these, have some ideas for others yet. Got the idea from Chopper Mike, vamflax.com is really awesome :)

Thanks! :D

Making promo assets was a really difficult part of the project. Adding tools to your game to help get the shots you want is a very good move!

Looking good. Good luck with it all!! :D

Makai

I can't wait to join Screenshot Saturday - not ready yet, maybe in a month. It's probably for the best I'm abstaining; I know I'd end up mostly posting glitches I think look funny/cool

whiteape

Fell in love with Construct 2 yesterday. Just to find out today that the iPhone exports run like s*it when the game get's bigger, because every asset is loaded into RAM even from different levels. :(

Alts

Yup I know about instantiating objects in game logic. I used to instantiate stuff in Unity all the time till I discovered object pools ;).

Thought it was too long of a word, too many cylibles. But I did not think of other programmers thinking I spelled instantiation wrong. Or maybe people getting offended or thinking i was an indiot. I was seriously just typing stuff into Google translate for like a week and this sounded cool.

Well another thing to procrastinate on...:p Thanks for the feedback.

Wanted to voice support for reconsidering the name.

Ignoring whether or not people are familiar with the word instantiation, instantion reads strangely to, I would image, most native English speakers, because it doesn't follow regular grammar. Specifically, the "-tion" suffix turns a verb into a noun. With "instantion", though, the root appears to be "instant", which is a noun already. These rules are things that we subconsciously apply, and when those expectations are betrayed, we think that it "just sounds wrong".

I think Instances, Instantiate, and Instantiation are all better options. For those who know the word, it makes sense. And for those who don't, they learn a word. Plus it doesn't rely on the assumption that your audience doesn't know something.

Popstar

while not strictly indie related, I think people should check out this new kickstarter and show their support if its something they like :) Just stumbled upon it last night. Got some sweet sweet pixel art and for some odd reason, very few backers..

Kickstarter thread this away -> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773681 (it has very few backers because it looks like it went up last night, its already top 5 in Kicktraq)

rexor0717

Hey, so this project I've been working on is finally to the point where I don't feel bad for showing it. Its still very early, but here it is. Its called False Idols. In its completed state, its going to be a 3v3 fighting game with a drafting mechanic like DOTA 2's Captains Draft. Right now its just a 2v2 fighting game with a regular character select. I have 5 character right now, I need at the very least 10, but I'm aiming for 16.

Here are some GIFs:
zetVsTempa_zps838d078e.gif

bloodwitchVsTempa_zps1f4cbd8a.gif

I'll definitely be posting in here more as things come together. I've got a long way to go, but its been such a blast so far that I don't see myself slowing down.
Here is the Youtube channel for the game. All of the videos on there really show just how buggy the game is!

Jack_AG

Banned
So I got creative with object placement transform positions today. Made an auto-pixel-perfect script for my stationary objects so I dont need to make adjustments in the scene for perfect alignment. I just drag, drop, get it "close" and my script does the rest to line everything up at runtime. No more "IS THIS PERFECT? ... NO WAIT... Y MUST BE 0.00037 MORE" BS. Going all Ronco up in my code.

Sandfox

I want to try and make my own game, and I know C++(well I'm still at an intermediate level) as well as some basic Java, but I have no idea where to begin or what to learn next. Can someone point me in the right direction?

rexor0717

Use Unity. It's perfect for experimenting in. You'd have to learn c# or JavaScript, but you don't have to know much to get started.

Makai

I'll do just that.
Since you know C++ and Java, you already know C# and should only have to consult MSDN docs occasionally. You will be consulting Unity docs frequently, however. It's mostly straightforward aside from monobehaviours, which take a bit to get used to.

Use Unity. It's perfect for experimenting in. You'd have to learn c# or JavaScript, but you don't have to know much to get started.

Seconded. C# is a very natural progression and very easy to learn. Microsoft did a very good job with the language, and Mono did a very good job at making it cross-platform :) C# is also a very good language to know in case you ditch game development and want to get into web development.

The power of LAMBDA compels you :)

Edit - That aside, I want to see how my game looks on my iPhone. As expected, I need OS X installed... :(

Does anyone know of a good iOS and Android emulator we can use to test our games? Heck, you can throw in Windows Phone too :)

Edit 2 - I'm looking towards XCode.

bumpkin

Since I haven't found any good, free program for making decent GIFs from movies on Mac, YouTube'll have to do. This is a quick video capture of the super early-in-development game engine I'm developing….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQixGmOgty4

The only difference (so far) between this and my prior exhibitions is the underlying code is far less messy and using a newer API. Still, progress is progress! :)

Five

Banned
^I'm not sure here is the best place to ask about that. Most of us are of the persuasion that to make games you should make games. I've heard stories of QA folk moving up the ladder (I think Neil Druckmann from Last of Us is one such example) but they're just stories, so I can't speak towards them.

Blizzard

Banned
Hey all,

I was recently offered a job in QA in the Seattle area. I'm currently in California. I would like to eventually be a producer, artist, or designer. My original plan was to apply for and attend a game design certificate program at UW later this year and move to Seattle then, getting a job ideally in games but if not, then some kind of office work. Now this job came up. I'm not sure if I should take it or not.

I'd honestly rather stay in my hometown for a few more months, because I know I'd most likely get in to the game design program and would be leaving in six months anyway. I want to spend just a few more months with my family, pets, and loved ones before I leave. I'd like to go back to E3, go to some concerts in the area, be around for some birthdays, and just have some more time to relax and prepare, to say goodbye, and to have more time to find a place instead of being rushed.

I know this won't be the only opportunity, but obviously it is a good one and can possibly lead into advancement. I know QA can be a good stepping stone, and I would be trying to get a QA or other entry level game job if I moved later in the year. I just am torn between accepting this opportunity and missing out on valuable time here, or lose out on this particular opportunity but gain more time with my family and less stress in relocating.

Any advice?

Some more info: it is at a third party agency. The game company recently decided to remove QA from in-house and to this third party agency. I am told they work closely with the development team, but it is not in the same building. It is a fulltime, year-long contract.

I've never had a paying industry job, and this is exciting for me, but I don't want my judgment to be clouded.

I'm not in the game industry, but I would recommend that you stay for a few months and spend time with those you care about. You won't always have family, and I rather suspect there will still be opportunities to hate your life while doing QA after a few months. :p Destress now since it's a stressful road.

I also rather agree with abe_bly, but I suppose it depends on your passion and what you're wanting to do. Working at most large studios sounds rather like a nightmare to me.

If you're still planning to get education in game development I'd say go there. QA positions are definitely not the most ideal places to start unless you really want the industry experience. Remember who might be in your class, they might be your best bet into the industry and can affect what direction you're going. In the end, it really goes down to two sets of questions to answer.

Do you want to work your way up from a grunt or attempt to get in from a higher point?
Do you want to work on your own game or on someone elses game?

Alts

Any advice?

Based on my narrow experience in mobile games (iOS specifically), there was zero movement form QA to anything else. That's just one studio, so I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but faced between promoting someone from qa to design/production, or hiring someone who already has experience there, we always took that latter path. I think promoting people from within is more likely to happen in an industry/studio where there is a possibility of longevity, and mobile really doesn't have that outside of a few large players. Can't speak to console/pc.

missile

... Ha. Nope, when you land on the water you'll transform into a boat and start controlling that. Then, if you sail to the edge of the lagoon you'll transform into a unimog 4x4 truck :D Then drive over a helipad to transform back to the chopper...! :D
Nice! I have a similar idea of transforming vehicles for another game of mine.
Being able to transform ones vehicle depending on a specific combat situation,
making the transformation sort if a tactical element, is something I thought
about a couple of years ago. Doesn't need to be a full-blown transformation,
can be just a slight one to adjust for the situation at hand.

Regarding Chooper Mike, I think said transformations of yours will give the
game quite a dynamic element, esp. if such transformations occur in some cool
sequence (level design).

amanset

Based on my narrow experience in mobile games (iOS specifically), there was zero movement form QA to anything else. That's just one studio, so I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but faced between promoting someone from qa to design/production, or hiring someone who already has experience there, we always took that latter path. I think promoting people from within is more likely to happen in an industry/studio where there is a possibility of longevity, and mobile really doesn't have that outside of a few large players. Can't speak to console/pc.

Agreed. By day I'm a backend developer and, despite everyone here knowing I do Unity, there only being one Unity developer left here and us having projects involving Unity, no-one is really showing much interest in me doing stuff beyond the backend.

The sad truth is that if you are good at something they'll want you to keep doing it. Stay with your family, in your spare time get some design practice in. Think. Create a portfolio.

Mr. Virus

Survival horror on a derelict ship? count me in!

How do you plan to fit procedurally generated areas with a ship layout? (skimming through your blog right now)

We're defining deck areas where certain things can spawn (you'd not get an engine room next to the bridge for example). I think this blog might answer it, but if not then I'll prod a programmer for a better answer :).

Added water and isles to my 3d map:
GvxNRnG.gif

This looks awesome :D! Get some old Crash vibes form the gameplay videos :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom