• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Discussion Thread | Of Being Professionally Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Making some last changes to the game, adding some replayability elements (jump counts, timers, etc) changing some of the difficulty of the earlier levels... It's almost go time!

My super duper delayed screenshot Saturday. I've been working and messing with the shaders and a friend helped modify the model a bit... and this is what we got

xBRA4o7.png

gF1xAux.png

9gTS4Cd.png

DeV6x5h.png

This is what it looked like before:

What do you guys think?

_machine

Oh good, feels good to be able to give decent feedback, especially after a not-so great day so thank you :)

We've been prototyping the Greenlight icon and would love some feedback on which one you would pick out of these two ideas. They're placeholder graphics, but the idea is what we wanted to test out:
krqbOgU.gif
FBdvZOM.gif

We really appreciate any feedback; there's not that much time to really redo once we do either of these two and according to a lot of people the logo is extremely important in terms of driving traffic.
Gonna repost this once; we could still use a bit more feedback, but huge thanks to friken and Mighty for their opinions. I definitely agree with you guys, but I'll reveal the actual results of the feedback once I've gotten a few more responses.

Angryhead

Neo Member
I bring you a tweet of a Vine of something very early. It's got sound!
I'm feeling good about this one. The current plan is to make whatever it is going to evolve into as part of 1GAM, so we've got a pretty good deadline (working on it with a buddy).

Gonna repost this once; we could still use a bit more feedback, but huge thanks to friken and Mighty for their opinions. I definitely agree with you guys, but I'll reveal the actual results of the feedback once I've gotten a few more responses.

Definitely the left one. It immediately catches my eye, while I have to focus for a few seconds to see what is happening in the right one.

Five

Banned

The left one is more immediately appealing, but doesn't tell me anything about what kind of game it is.

I don't know if this is usual behavior, but when I trawl Greenlight the thing that catches my eye is seeing a cool action sequence or a game that looks like it's probably a platformer. So, personally, I like seeing the grid in the right one even if the animation and design isn't as good.

_machine

Thanks guys, it's still under development, but I'll show you the stage 2 prototype soon and reveal the results of the feedback.

Mikko, our programmer/assistant producer, has been currently working on doing an alpha code system for the press distribution and we are going to implement some statistics into the system as well. If anyone's interested I can probably ask him to share some details into the implementation.

We're not sure yet about whether we are going to release any parts of the alpha to public, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter as well. I'm a bit reluctant to do it just because even the game is fully playable, we're going to rework major parts of the graphics and more importantly add some crucial feedback to all aspects of the game.

In procrastinating doing what I should do next, I decided to add to my gas giant procedural system. I added swirling 'eyes' / storms. It is subtle, but there. There are two in this video (big one and small one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=774CbiPuldE&feature=youtu.be&vq=hd720

I'd post a gif but the banding almost kills the effect. Chasing the 2% the most gamers won't even notice..... yeah... priorities may not be where they should be but better than just taking the day off right?

Procrastinating with you a little bit today... I noticed 2 layers in your planet, I am wondering if those 2 layers in the gas giant should move in opposite directions or move towards the same side? maybe if you add a different color like the red eye storm in Juputer will be nicer to see... also, Iooks like you are using only one texture for the storm, I saw some nice effects by using 3 layers with one as base and two rings for 2d clouds around the main storm running at different speeds

I haven't used yet 3d planets in my game just 2 layers but probably if I have time may do like you but without the storms.

kiguel182

I've been itching to continue working on my Shmup project but college work is making things difficult.

I also wanted to start a dev blog just to see if that would motivate-me to work more on it but I don't think I would have tons of interesting things to write about.

Does anybody here have a dev blog? Any tips if I wanted to start one?

The only thing that gets me out of the house many days is that I take my daughter to school.

Working on work life balance can be super hard.

I hope to have something to share in the next month or so - working hard to get the Treachery in Beatdown City 1st level alpha out for backers - and thus, new screens.

We used InControl for Unity to get multiple controller support in, so I've been able to use my 360 and PS4 pads, which is dope. Good tip and a tool used by many.

0a80c90c36d518c4b75713bf16c1cc39_large.jpg

Ito

this is just a closed beta, which will be available to beta tier backers as well as others invited on an individual basis. any neogaf member who asks can probably get a key.

while I know better than to ever say never, I can tell you I have no plans of releasing the game as early access.

One question, if I'm allowed to ask. How far into development would you say you are right now? Dare to throw any percentage?

_machine

I've been itching to continue working on my Shmup project but college work is making things difficult.

I also wanted to start a dev blog just to see if that would motivate-me to work more on it but I don't think I would have tons of interesting things to write about.

Does anybody here have a dev blog? Any tips if I wanted to start one?
For me it can be easy to get writer's block quite easily so I would definitely recommend taking a look at other blogs to find a good structure and some general things. Then as you progress and make a few posts try to develop a kind of routine to it. Also, taking notes while developing makes it a million times easier; just looking back at a time period you're much more likely to forget things and not think of things to write about. I think it would be interesting though; almost all game development is interesting and I'm sure you have things to talk about most of us would really interested and it's always nice to see the progress in development. Good luck with it!

Blizzard

Banned
I finally decided on a company name after doing what might have been more research than necessary. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on company startup, learning more about what records etc. are required, and so on before the weekend.

Does anyone have recommendations for open-source (or failing that, quality-but-inexpensive) vector editing and vector animation software? The only significant open-source one I am aware of is Inkscape, and I didn't think it could do animation.

_machine

I finally decided on a company name after doing what might have been more research than necessary. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on company startup, learning more about what records etc. are required, and so on before the weekend.

Does anyone have recommendations for open-source (or failing that, quality-but-inexpensive) vector editing and vector animation software? The only significant open-source one I am aware of is Inkscape, and I didn't think it could do animation.
That's awesome!

I remember someone talking about a software called Vectorian Giotto, but I have no idea if that's anything suitable. I'll definitely our 2D artist tomorrow though; she might know something even though she's working with Illustrator and PS at the moment.

Blizzard

Banned
That's awesome!

I remember someone talking about a software called Vectorian Giotto, but I have no idea if that's anything suitable. I'll definitely our 2D artist tomorrow though; she might know something even though she's working with Illustrator and PS at the moment.
Thanks! I actually didn't even know about Vectorian Giotto. Non-open-source freeware is always kind of scary since you wonder about the motivation, but the product does look pretty good. *edit* Looking at some user comments, it seems to crash a lot though, at least with past versions.

We used InControl for Unity to get multiple controller support in, so I've been able to use my 360 and PS4 pads, which is dope. Good tip and a tool used by many.]

You may want to give Rewired a look as well.

Essentially it's an amazing mix of something like cInput (with runtime-remapping) and InControl (with controller maps). It also has support for XInput and DirectInput, so you can effortlessly use vibration, if it's supported for the platform, etc.

I'm generally not one to call an asset "perfect" but Rewired is pretty darn perfect. Easy to use, amazing API and extremely powerful (and it comes pre-packaged with controller maps for pretty much every common controller you'd need). Most everything you need to set up is done in a pretty nifty editor window, and then you just access stuff via the API in-game. The author also has really awesome support, so that's a huge bonus as well.

It's a little more expensive than when I got it ($40 now, whereas I got it at $20), but it's easily worth the $40. It's honestly everything that Unity's Input system should be, but isn't.

Essentially it's an amazing mix of something like cInput (with runtime-remapping) and InControl (with controller maps). It also has support for XInput and DirectInput, so you can effortlessly use vibration, if it's supported for the platform, etc.

I'm generally not one to call an asset "perfect" but Rewired is pretty darn perfect. Easy to use, amazing API and extremely powerful (and it comes pre-packaged with controller maps for pretty much every common controller you'd need). Most everything you need to set up is done in a pretty nifty editor window, and then you just access stuff via the API in-game. The author also has really awesome support, so that's a huge bonus as well.

It's a little more expensive than when I got it ($40 now, whereas I got it at $20), but it's easily worth the $40. It's honestly everything that Unity's Input system should be, but isn't.
Dammit. I wish I knew about this before spending time mapping every controller I own straight down to the PS4 touchpad. FML. It was real fun capturing inputs and testing, let me assure you all. I don't have any nifty editor stuff tho. Sigh.

Edit: This is way more robust than my solution, wow.

kiguel182

For me it can be easy to get writer's block quite easily so I would definitely recommend taking a look at other blogs to find a good structure and some general things. Then as you progress and make a few posts try to develop a kind of routine to it. Also, taking notes while developing makes it a million times easier; just looking back at a time period you're much more likely to forget things and not think of things to write about. I think it would be interesting though; almost all game development is interesting and I'm sure you have things to talk about most of us would really interested and it's always nice to see the progress in development. Good luck with it!

I like the idea of taking notes, thanks! I'll also check some dev blogs to take some inspiration from, it should help at least figure out some kind of structure to what I want to do.

The other day I decided to take some screenshots to paint whatever text I would write but I figured most shots would be the same, or code related, and I stopped. I might try that approach again to see if I can get better results.

I don't know if it will be interesting since most stuff will be pretty basic but it should at least motivate me to work more and that's good enough. But I'll share it here of course and thanks for the support!
I think I'll do one first post talking about the game and how I got to where I am now and then build from there.

Rubikant

Just wanted to share something I'm working on:

JAut5kX.gif

jDEBi6r.gif

It's called Guild of Dungeoneering. Here's a 5 minute video of gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR967iGeTbU

Oh hey, yeah, this looks really cool. You e-mailed us (Crazy Viking Studios) a few days ago with publisher questions and I let my partner handle it since he was the one that dealt with them directly, but I didn't get a chance to say that your game looks really interesting and I love the art style!

The baby noises did get a little grating during the demo video though...

Jobbs

Banned
Here's my backer update on the Ghost Song beta, which starts this Monday.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192311215/ghost-song-a-journey-of-hope/posts

I'm putting this here because it gives a run down of what to expect and so forth -- and:

Re. Beta tier access -- I'm making an exception for Neogaf members, I'm going to let any full member in whether they backed or not-- because I owe so much to Neogaf for this game existing -- So if you're a Neogaffer and want in, PM me with "beta" in the subject

_machine

Re. Beta tier access -- I'm making an exception for Neogaf members, I'm going to let any full member in whether they backed or not-- because I owe so much to Neogaf for this game existing -- So if you're a Neogaffer and want in, PM me with "beta" in the subject
Dauym, that's just too good to just let go by, but I needed to say that it's a fantastic gesture to the awesome community here, so thank you so :)

Martal

Neo Member
Hello DeveloperGAF!

I recently read a post on reddit, that cemented my desire to learn to program. I have always wanted to make an app or a game but the learning curve has always impeeded now. Now I've decided I have enough time to devote to it, not rush, and maybe finally get there.

Looking to develop for Android so Im looking at Java. I wanted to ask what, in your opinion, is the single best book on programming in Java? I know the philosophy is to take your time and the more books the merrier but I'm looking to purchase one book for myself so I want to make sure its of quality. Other I can borrow or find online.

Thanks!

kiguel182

2qih8x1.png

Started reworking some of the assets I had. This is supposed to be the most basic enemy ship (doesn't shoot anything). The one on the left was the original asset and the following two are the revisions. I'm not sure if the last one is too busy and I should use the middle one.

This is the type of stuff would go on the dev blog if I had created one I guess.

gambrinous

Neo Member
Oh hey, yeah, this looks really cool. You e-mailed us (Crazy Viking Studios) a few days ago with publisher questions and I let my partner handle it since he was the one that dealt with them directly, but I didn't get a chance to say that your game looks really interesting and I love the art style!

The baby noises did get a little grating during the demo video though...

That's right! He gave me a whole load of useful info, too. Thanks for the kind words too. As for the old sounds, you are right they were terrible, and always meant as placeholders. They survived for a long time though. That video on my site was from almost 8 months ago now. There is now a much newer video there (with nicer sounds and many other updates to the game):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR967iGeTbU

bkw

This looks pretty good. The controller hot plugging issue is one problem that I have stupid design workarounds for, but this might fix things up. Damn, I just spent a bunch of days last week creating a remapping system too. Will need to check this out.

Doesn't look like full source is provided though, which is a concern. Being in the editor extension category and one license per seat isn't the best either, especially now that I'm considering bringing more help onboard.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192311215/ghost-song-a-journey-of-hope/posts

I'm putting this here because it gives a run down of what to expect and so forth -- and:

I said GAT DAYUM!

friken

Like many here, I can't wait to see it. Congrats and getting it ready to show the savage gamers :)

---
I've spent the day messing w space stations and while the sprite lighting system worked well for ships, especially when tilting ships banking, stations were looking/feeling a bit flat. Not quite peper-mario flat, but certainly not what I wanted. I spent a lot of time thinking about what I could do... options include ditching stations, making them in 3d (worry of style shift and costs), or..... stacking layers of the station in the z which I tried first. Between getting some parrallax scrolling effect, and the heightmap/lighting system, I think I like it. Example -- note not all stations will have designs that clone/stack and we will have design sections for overlay if we are going w this method. See what you think. note the end of the clip is toying w z axis tilting. I could see concentric circle rotation for some station parts (think penny wobble on table).

HollowPhonyBluebreastedkookaburra.gif

Jobbs

Banned
I'm thinking of doing a fun little "first person to find this NPC and send me proof wins something" challenge for the beta. (finding and getting to this NPC won't be easy)

I just need to think of a prize. giving out money seems strange (is it strange?) and giving out more keys as a prize feels a bit unexciting because anyone playing already has a key.

hm.

Like many here, I can't wait to see it. Congrats and getting it ready to show the savage gamers :)

thanks! I must admit it's a strange feeling, I am cautiously optimistic about the impression the game will leave, as well as very nervous about how much crashing goes on (I know the game has a crashing issue, how widespread it is I still don't know). I'm also very nervous in general about what people will think. like most of us I'm very insecure and constantly seeking validation.

these animations continue to look beautiful, btw. somehow I think I'm even more amazed by your planets than the ships, which is saying a lot because I love the ships.

friken

I'm thinking of doing a fun little "first person to find this NPC and send me proof wins something" challenge for the beta. (finding and getting to this NPC won't be easy)

I just need to think of a prize. giving out money seems strange (is it strange?) and giving out more keys as a prize feels a bit unexciting because anyone playing already has a key.

hm.

thanks! I must admit it's a strange feeling, I am cautiously optimistic about the impression the game will leave, as well as very nervous about how much crashing goes on (I know the game has a crashing issue, how widespread it is I still don't know). I'm also very nervous in general about what people will think. like most of us I'm very insecure and constantly seeking validation.

these animations continue to look beautiful, btw. somehow I think I'm even more amazed by your planets than the ships, which is saying a lot because I love the ships.

I bet it goes really well -- looking amazing from what you post. Of course you will never be able to please everyone so ignore the troll saying 'hey I wanted 200 hours of play in the beta, bug free, and it would be way better if there were way more levels, items, npcs, and it all ran in fps 3D!!!"

Five

Banned

Immortalize him or her as another NPC in the game! :D

Feep

Banned
Beta status reached.

And none of this bullshit Ghost Song one-sixth of the game bullshit either

The whole damn thing

<3 Jobbs

friken

Beta status reached.

And none of this bullshit Ghost Song one-sixth of the game bullshit either

The whole damn thing

<3 Jobbs

Congrats Feep! Are you planning steam early access?

Jobbs, only 1/6th!? awwwww..... I'm not interested anymore. Where are refunds!? Call in the trolls.... this beta is supposed to be the full game + the first two expansion packs and at least the first 1/2 of the sequel!

Feep

Banned
Congrats Feep! Are you planning steam early access?

Jobbs, only 1/6th!? awwwww..... I'm not interested anymore. Where are refunds!? Call in the trolls.... this beta is supposed to be the full game + the first two expansion packs and at least the first 1/2 of the sequel!
I am not. This is a single player, heavily story-driven four or five hour long experience. One and done. It will be shinily polished before it releases.

friken

I am not. This is a single player, heavily story-driven four or five hour long experience. One and done. It will be shinily polished before it releases.

makes sense. I've also read quite a bit of negativity around early access. Seems that gamers just can't accept many of the games 'early' state and then build a very negative online view of the game prior to full release.

I'm ahead of Feep! My entire game will be released in a month.

None of that bullshit beta shit!

<3 Feep

And I'm going to release my full, perfectly complete and polished game TONIGHT!

And then I wake up in the morning after an awesome dream, drink some coffee and get to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom