• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [October] Now Voting - Post 1253!

I came here specifically to ask about this game. I dig a good survival horror vania and I'm always into supporting indie games if there's anything about them I like. Anyone played it? Anyone know anything? I basically just saw this for the first time today.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/251410/

This looks fun. Need info.
I'll see if I can get a review copy

And here's the TIGForum thread for Frog Sord:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35723.0

Do you have a TIG thread for Ghost Song, Jobbs?

Specter has an alpha demo build
Download link (.zip)
Specter_2013-06-27_14-18-37-27.png

Jobbs

Banned
Do you have a TIG thread for Ghost Song, Jobbs?

I'm on Tigsource, but don't have a devlog for Ghost Song (yet). Might be a good idea to do that soon. Gone through a bit of a growing pain over the last month trying to take the old game and figure out how to keep the essence of the game (and my methods for creating the content) as familiar and consistent as possible going to unity and a much higher res art standard, while also improving on all of it. Making the new main character sprite from scratch, which is more ambitious than before, has been a major task that is mostly behind me now. I'm feeling good about things now and soon there'll be good progress to show off.

Just learned about it five minutes ago. Like Broforce and Risk of Rain, the demo has instantly sold me on the game. If it was available to preorder, I'd have pre-ordered already

Scraps

PJGDO.gif

Official Site
Greenlight Concepts
TIGForums Devlog
The short version: "It's like Kerbal Space Program except the spaceships are vehicles and they fight."
The long version: Scraps is a vehicle combat game where you build a vehicle from parts, and where success lies just as much in designing a well-crafted vehicle as in your combat skills. It's about competitive creativity, and having fun while making horrible design decisions.

a5EMf0m.jpg
sEjOpuK.jpg
qZDmY09.jpg
PJad7wl.jpg

I want. Now. There'll be a thread shortly

Gazoinks

I'm glad I found this thread, because what I need is to spend my limited money on more games. :p

Scraps looks like it could be a lot of fun, I'll check out the demo later.

Eternic

Neo Member
The 7DFPS game Probably Archery has been expanded and is now on Steam Greenlight.
There's a demo that includes:
  • 8 scenarios
  • Gamepad support
  • Native Oculus Rift support
  • Available for PC, Mac and Linux
Site
Trailer

Thanks for posting this. I've had very little sleep over the past few days as I habitually refresh our Greenlight stats page. It was crazy how many people played the 7DFPS version so hopefully we can get the word out enough to have them see there's this new version/Greenlight campaign. Youtube videos were a big deal for the 7DFPS version so we're hoping that continues with this new version demo.

So far around 25% of people that have played the demo have been Oculus Rift users which I think is a testament to how hungry Rift owners are for new games. We're also talking to the Humble Store guys (who it turns out had played the 7DFPS version) and are looking to get a Humble Widget setup so we should be able to give out some keys soon.

I'm happy to give more stats on the Greenlight campaign and demo usage if it's of interest to anyone.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks for posting this. I've had very little sleep over the past few days as I habitually refresh our Greenlight stats page. It was crazy how many people played the 7DFPS version so hopefully we can get the word out enough to have them see there's this new version/Greenlight campaign. Youtube videos were a big deal for the 7DFPS version so we're hoping that continues with this new version demo.

So far around 25% of people that have played the demo have been Oculus Rift users which I think is a testament to how hungry Rift owners are for new games. We're also talking to the Humble Store guys (who it turns out had played the 7DFPS version) and are looking to get a Humble Widget setup so we should be able to give out some keys soon.

I'm happy to give more stats on the Greenlight campaign and demo usage if it's of interest to anyone.

Stats are always a good thing ;) Best of luck with the project, hopefully its humming along nicely.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Task for today, NeoScavenger and Distant Worlds. Maybe I can squeeze in Scraps as well.

Why have I never heard of this game before?

I think it had, initially, a bit of a restrictive price point - being a Matrix game - and was in a bit of a bad state at launch. Took a few solid expansions to get this massive beast up and running.

Let me know what you think. I think it - with the Legends expansion - sits up there with GalCiv2 as premiere 4X stuff. Different to just a MoO descendant.

This is super fun. Any idea if they'll give a Steam code if I get it from their site.
According to the dev:
Will Existing Customers Get Steam Keys?
This question comes up a lot, and my answer is "yes." I'm not sure how it works, or how other developers do it, but I want to give existing Blue Bottle Games and Desura customers access on Steam. So as long as there is a way, it'll be done!

Thanks for posting this.
No problem and welcome to NeoGAF! I played your game during 7DFPS and IMO Probably Archery, Beyond Perception, and SuperHOT were the most promising. So it's great that you decided to expand this into a full game.

And a suggestions: stunt mode. You'd have challenges like ricocheting arrows around corners, through narrow/moving spaces, stuff like that

Toma

I think it had, initially, a bit of a restrictive price point - being a Matrix game - and was in a bit of a bad state at launch. Took a few solid expansions to get this massive beast up and running.

Let me know what you think. I think it - with the Legends expansion - sits up there with GalCiv2 as premiere 4X stuff. Different to just a MoO descendant.

Random aside:
Badass wasnt exaggerating with the NeoScavenger demo, did you try it?
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21

Definitely going to purchase this. I'll put up a proper thread for it, the "current" one is a bit useless:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466623

Toma

I think I'm space 4x'd out unless Distant Worlds is significantly better than Endless Space.

From what I read, Endless Space is probably the little, dumb and illiterate brother compared to Distant Worlds, but we'll see what my initial impressions say.

Toma

Scraps is a nice tool, but except building stuff, there isnt anything to it atm. Not really a complaint, but not something I have the urge to spend any time on.

Bonus, Distant World galaxy map:

Random aside:
Badass wasnt exaggerating with the NeoScavenger demo, did you try it?
http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/21

Definitely going to purchase this. I'll put up a proper thread for it, the "current" one is a bit useless:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466623
So you liked it, huh? Surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. So far I've frozen to death and been killed by severe brain trauma and acute damage of the lungs. I love the details like how you and enemies leave tracks which can be followed, or how raiders will be tracking bandits across the map

Toma

So you liked it, huh? Surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. So far I've frozen to death and been killed by severe brain trauma and acute damage of the lungs. I love the details like how you and enemies leave tracks which can be followed, or how raiders will be tracking bandits across the map

I am always a sucker for games with depth, and this one is a tactical survival sim married with some text adventure elements. Glorious.

Yeah, took me by surprise. Haven't invested too much time in it, but what I've played...pretty awesome concept that seems to deliver on the promise.

Toma

Finally playing NEO Scavenger. It's like someone made a turn based roguelike just for me, because I usually don't like turn based roguelikes, but this is fantastic gritty post-apocalypse survival. So much depth and it's really really intense.

Random aside, you liked Neo Scavenger and Dungeons of Dredmor. I dont actually think you "dont like turn based roguelikes" :p

Random aside, you liked Neo Scavenger and Dungeons of Dredmor. I dont actually think you "dont like turn based roguelikes" :p
Well I prefer action roguelikes. NEO and Dredmor are the only turn based roguelikes that I enjoyed. Well, and Ending, if you consider that a roguelike

Toma

Well I prefer action roguelikes. NEO and Dredmor are the only turn based roguelikes that I enjoyed. Well, and Ending, if you consider that a roguelike

Which other ones did you try that you DIDNT like?

I know there was someone on here asking about Dark Matter.

Just caught this on SPUF--if you were considering buying Dark Matter, you should think again. Despite overall good feedback, apparently the game ends completely abruptly (you enter a door of no particular significance and then you get a fade to black with a JPG with centered white text that tells you how the game ends) and there's no intent to finish the game or update it and it's not released as Early Access or episodically:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3192889

The last minute of the game (no spoilers, since it's just a video of a guy entering a door and getting a text ending)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTPS_GGhMqk

STAY AWAY! It's not finished.

Toma

I know there was someone on here asking about Dark Matter.

STAY AWAY! It's not finished.

Yikes.

On a different note:
Almost done with the NEO Scavenger thread. Would love for some guys to help me out bumping it once its up. Game truly deserves it.

Which other ones did you try that you DIDNT like?
Steam Marines
Sword Of The Stars – The Pit
Games like Rogue

And those are the ones I can remember. I know I've played more, but can't recall them. Might have to try those again, because when I first tried NEO a few months back, I didn't like it all....

Yikes.

On a different note:
Almost done with the NEO Scavenger thread. Would love for some guys to help me out bumping it once its up. Game truly deserves it.
I'll have tons of moments and stories to share and the game is being updated regularly so that'll provide bumping material

Toma

Steam Marines
Sword Of The Stars – The Pit
Games like Rogue

And those are the ones I can remember. I know I've played more, but can't recall them. Might have to try those again, because when I first tried NEO a few months back, I didn't like it all....

Steam Marines is shitty, I wouldnt recommend The Pit over most genre alternatives and "games like rogue" is a bit too broad, some of them are awesome good, while others are too derivative and boring.

As far as the games are concerned that I know you played, you liked all the good ones that I liked too :p

Steam Marines is shitty, I wouldnt recommend The Pit over most genre alternatives and "games like rogue" is a bit too broad, some of them are awesome good, while others are too derivative and boring.

As far as the games are concerned that I know you played, you liked all the good ones that I liked too :p

I thought The Pit was a great roguelike. Granted, I haven't played that many traditional roguelikes, so I don't have much to compare to.

Probably should've added a few Gifs to show what the game can do:
bcb3ce3b21f566f53136848826de7f3c_large.gif

About SCALE: "You wield a device that can make any item any size. A tree, a wall, an enemy, a passing cloud, even the levels themselves are all "SCALEable". Space is relative in the game so progress is as much conceptual as it is physical. The unique mechanic of SCALEing is inspired by games like Portal and The Swapper. Progression through the game is freeform and open like Mario 64 or early Zelda overworlds. It’s all about exploring and discovering secrets!"

409ec1602e96d5d51d72753b3ba40740_large.gif

Wok

Scale looks like a promising idea. I'm going to be following the post-kickstarter development closely:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188957169/scale?ref=live

I'm a HAWP fan so having Ashly Burch doing some voice-over is pretty sweet too.

It looks promising, but having a game mechanic does not automatically make a good game, and I believe it would be very easy to fail at the level design of this kind of game. Just remember how Quantum Conundrum looked promising and ended up way below Portal 2. The game mechanic has to be really clear and consistent, the levels have to be thoroughly playtested. Right now, the game world is just empty, apart from a house, a tree and a butterfly. So, it is promising but I am skeptical, and would be happy to be proven wrong.

Toma

I thought The Pit was a great roguelike. Granted, I haven't played that many traditional roguelikes, so I don't have much to compare to.

Its not a bad game, and I cant exactly put my finger on it, but it fails to engage me compared to most roguelikes I like, which is weird considering I actually love the setting. I have the hunch that it might be something about the level layouts/generation which looked awfully bland.

Toma

It looks promising, but having a game mechanic does not automatically make a good game, and I believe it would be very easy to fail at the level design of this kind of game. Just remember how Quantum Conundrum looked promising and ended up way below Portal 2.

Yeah, that is my worry too. Same with scraps to be honest. I cant see them doing much different other than maybe PVP MP battles or something. I know people love that kind of stuff as well, but its certainly not on my top priority list.

It looks promising, but having a game mechanic does not automatically make a good game, and I believe it would be very easy to fail at the level design of this kind of game. Just remember how Quantum Conundrum looked promising and ended up way below Portal 2. The game mechanic has to be really clear and consistent, the levels have to be thoroughly playtested. Right now, the game world is just empty, apart from a house, a tree and a butterfly. So, it is promising but I am skeptical, and would be happy to be proven wrong.

Very true and I totally agree. Which is why I want to watch the post-Kickstarter development closely to see where they're taking the idea. It's promising, and that's all it is for now. But I'm hopeful.

Toma

Are you talking about there "not being enough options for fairness" as you put it? You can drop that in their forums with a thread title like: "Doesn't work well yet as a game" if you want to get through to them. Or if you have suggestions, make a thread in the bugs/feedback sub-forum.

Nah, I meant the progress updates, but they apparently divided their goals into short, mid and long term now, which is a good step. I am sure they will work on all the other gameplay features eventually and the current game version needs more content before judging them properly makes any sense at all.

Toma

Posted some impressions in the NEO Scavenger thread and info on the upcoming urban DMC area. It sounds awesome

Thanks for writing that stuff up, helpful information.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Organic Panic

Organic Panic has been five years in the making!

We have been working independently on the game from home for half a decade. The incredible dream of a ultimate physics puzzle game is finally nearing fruition. Build and share you own crazy physics levels!

• Fruit & Veg battle Meat & Cheese in a quirky physics puzzler where you can build and share your own levels!
  • Destructible levels with fully interactive fluids.
  • A physics puzzle adventure with hundreds of brain-teasing levels.
  • Loads of fun game modes, including Co-op and Versus.
  • All of the levels were built using the in-game editor.
  • The Game Menu serves as a giant sticker book for both adventure and user levels.
  • A twisted comic book guides the single player game through the wild worlds of Organic Panic.

ijdzqtIcPAgO7.gif

Top Bottom