• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics review site

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

It's an interesting site, but like most sites devoted to gaffs/errors and shit like that it gets really tiresome. I guess when you go looking for mistakes to put into your site you stop even trying to suspend disbelief and just go into a movie trying to be 'insulted'. ;)

Still it's better than tha continuity error website with the reader submissions. That stuff makes you want to slap the dumbasses who are so desperate to find "mistakes" in tv shows and movies they'll list anything. "AHA in the first cut the guy is just standing there with nothing in his hands but when the camera cuts back to him 5 seconds later he's already dialing his cell phone... DID HE HAVE TIME TO PULL OUT A PHONE THAT FAST!?!"

I have 2 friends who are both pilots, and seeing any movie with ANY kind of flight with them is a constant struggle not to kill them both. They pretty much ruined a couple of Bond movies for me with their pointless demand for real-world helicopter physics in a movie set almost entirely in a fantasy land of improbable action scenes. ;P

DaveH

Ah, quite old site that pops up now and then. I think the concept has merit, but the reviews are hack jobs. At times they get confused between plot points, nickpicks, and physics. Whether a decision is rational or not is not a physics issue. A plot hole (usually) isn't a physics issue. If they had confined their reviews to physics and used the movies as a way of illustrating the difference between intuited movie physics and reality, they would have a more successful site.

There is a site for nickpicks (Nitpickers.com?), plot hole, etc. discussion, which makes their commentary redundant and unfocused.

SFA_AOK

There was a programme in the UK called Hollywood Science - each episode they'd look at 3 sequences from 3 different films and see how feasible they were by recreating them via experiements.

It sounds nitpicky but it was a good show. They tested whether Elisabeth Shue could have gotten out of the freezer in The Hollow Man, whether a cylinder of gas really could move a concrete block in Chain Reaction and so on. Good show!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom