• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel’s Officialy Announces new flagship CPUs Core Ultra 200S

Draugoth

Gold Member
core_ultra_series2_k_hero_08.png

Intel is finally addressing how hot and power-hungry its desktop CPUs have become. Intel’s new flagship Core Ultra 200S series of processors, arriving on October 24th, are focused on performance per watt to run cooler and more efficiently than the previous 14th Gen chips. Codenamed Arrow Lake S, these are also Intel’s first enthusiast desktop CPUs with a built-in NPU, or a neural processing unit, for accelerating AI tasks.
“Arrow Lake will deliver Intel’s best performance for enthusiasts in desktop and mobile,” says Josh Newman, general manager and VP of product marketing client computing. “It will deliver that performance at significantly lower power levels than previous generations of Intel enthusiast products, and Arrow Lake is also delivering the first Intel AI PC for enthusiasts in both the desktop and mobile performance space.”

The full Core Ultra 200S lineup.

The full Core Ultra 200S lineup. Image: Intel
At the heart of the Arrow Lake architecture is a big effort from Intel to reduce the power draw from its chips. Both the 13th and 14th Gen Intel Core CPU generations were power-hungry, often drawing far much more power than their AMD equivalents. These new Core Ultra 200S series chips will halve the power consumption when you’re doing basic desktop tasks, and Intel claims they’ll shave off lots of watts during gaming, too.
“You’ll see about half the power consumption at the desktop,” says Robert Hallock, vice president of client computing group at Intel. “You’ll also see about half the power when you’re just using a single core. Gaming it’s going to be up or down, 50 to 150 watts just depends on the title and its behavior.”
During a recent press briefing, Intel demonstrated Assassin’s Creed Mirage running on its flagship Core Ultra 9 285K compared to its current Core i9-14900K. The Ultra 9 285K delivered similar or better performance at 80 watts less in Mirage, and Intel claims it will reduce power by up to 58 watts in games like Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, F1 24, and Total War: Pharaoh. There are some extreme cases like Warhammer: Space Marines 2 where the Ultra 9 285K even runs at 165 watts less than the 14900K.

Intel’s power claims for the Core Ultra 9 285K.

Intel’s power claims for the Core Ultra 9 285K. Image: Intel
Intel also claims the package temperatures of the Core Ultra 9 285K will drop by around 13C compared to the 14900K during gaming at 1080p with a 360mm all-in-one cooler. While Intel is moving to its new LGA-1851 socket with these new chips, existing all-in-one coolers should work just fine. You may need to speak to your cooler manufacturer to confirm whether you need additional standoffs, but Corsair confirmed to The Verge that all of its coolers that supported LGA-1700 also support LGA-1851.
Intel is using its latest 3D packaging technology to build the Core Ultra 200S series chips, and the package size has been reduced by 33 percent over the 14th Gen chips. There are some interesting changes as a result of this new package. The flagship Ultra 9 285K will ship with 24 cores, 24 threads, and a boost clock of 5.7GHz. That’s a slower boost clock and eight fewer threads than the previous 14900K, as Intel has removed hyperthreading in favor of power efficiency here. “We knew we could save the wattage for hyperthreading by not including it,” says Hallock.
The Ultra 9 285K will have eight performance cores (P-cores) and 16 efficiency ones (E-cores). The E-cores have been upgraded with more efficiency to process instructions, and there’s even a reduction in latency. There will be 36MB L3 shared smart cache, 3MB of L2 per P-core (up from 2MB on 14th Gen), and 4MB of L2 per E-core. Intel is claiming that the Ultra 9 285K will be around 8 percent faster in single-thread tasks compared to the 14900K and around 15 percent faster on multi-threaded workloads.

Intel’s Core Ultra 9 285K will trade blows with AMD’s Ryzen 9 9950X in gaming.

Intel’s Core Ultra 9 285K will trade blows with AMD’s Ryzen 9 9950X in gaming. Image: Intel
Intel has also provided some limited benchmarks for gaming with the Ultra 9 285K up against AMD’s Ryzen 9 9950X and Ryzen 9 7950X3D processors. It looks like Intel’s latest flagship will be trading blows with AMD’s flagship Zen 5 desktop CPU, but on the X3D side, it’s clear from Intel’s own data that it will be behind. Intel is also being surprisingly transparent about being behind the best gaming CPU right now, AMD’s Ryzen 7 7800X3D.
“I think we’ll be about five percent back versus X3D parts, which we feel really good about considering we have just the cache that’s built into the CPU and the great IPC of the product,” says Hallock. “You’ll see about a five percent deficit and I want to be clear about that.”

Intel is being clear the Core Ultra 9 285K will lose out to AMD’s X3D chips in gaming performance.

Intel is being clear the Core Ultra 9 285K will lose out to AMD’s X3D chips in gaming performance. Image: Intel
That’s disappointing for the gaming side of things, but Intel claims it will still hold the performance crown for most creator and AI tasks. It has even added an NPU to the Ultra 9 285K, which will be able to accelerate certain AI tasks. It’s only capable of 13 TOPS, meaning these processors won’t qualify for Microsoft’s Copilot Plus features that require a 40 TOPS or better NPU. Intel is hoping that as NPU adoption grows, developers will be able to leverage this to offload tasks and even for some gaming-related features.
“It was fully possible to put a 40 TOPS NPU on this product, but to do so would require shrinking core count or changing GPU core count,” admits Hallock. “You start making sacrifices in fundamental performance dimensions that enthusiasts really do care about. That didn’t feel like the right mix. We also talked at length about the enthusiast market’s disposition on AI as a whole, and I think it’s fair to say it’s somewhat reluctant.”
A new LGA-1851 socket also means new motherboards. You’ll need a new Z890 board to use the Core Ultra 200S desktop CPUs. Intel’s 800 series chipset supports up to 24 PCIe 4.0 lanes, up to 8x SATA 3.0, and up to 32 USB 3.2 ports. The platform supports a total of 48 PCIe lanes, with up to 20 of those being Gen 5 from the CPU. There’s also integrated Wi-Fi 6E and 1GbE, Bluetooth 5.3, and 2x Thunderbolt 4 on the CPU, with motherboard makers able to add discrete options for Wi-Fi 7, up to 4x Thunderbolt 5 ports, 2.5GbE, and Bluetooth 5.4.

The new 800 series chipset provides plenty of PCIe and USB connectivity.

The new 800 series chipset provides plenty of PCIe and USB connectivity. Image: Intel
Intel is also improving memory support with the Core Ultra 200S series and Z890 motherboards, supporting up to DDR5-6400, up to 48GB per DIMM, and up to 192GB max capacity. DDR4 support has been dropped for the 800 series chipset. These chips are also Secure Core compliant and include three built-in hardware engines for security.
It’s not clear how long the LGA-1851 socket will last, though. AMD has committed to supporting AM5 to 2027 or beyond, but Intel is refusing to comment on future product plans. With rumors of an Arrow Lake S refresh being canceled in favor of a leap to Nova Lake, it’s possible the LGA-1851 socket won’t be around for long. Intel launched its LGA-1200 socket in 2020, before replacing it with the LGA-1700 a year later, so hopefully history won’t repeat itself again.
The Arrow Lake reveal comes just days after Intel said its Raptor Lake crashing nightmare is finally over. Instability issues with 13th and 14th Gen chips have now been addressed, with a too-high voltage issue as the root cause. Intel’s new Arrow Lake chips won’t be impacted by the Raptor Lake voltage problems.
Intel’s new Core Ultra 200S chips will start shipping on October 24th, with the flagship $589 Core Ultra 9 285K, a $394 Core Ultra 7 265K, and the $309 Core Ultra 5 245K. Intel is also launching KF variants of the Ultra 7 265KF ($379) and Ultra 5 245KF ($294) without the built-in GPU.

Last edited:
MtZ9N.gif

Always Team Intel myself but they have made it exquisitely hard the last couple of years. Let's see what they're cooking up here.
I agree wholeheartedly. Part of me wants to build a 12th gen intel build. It did well against the 5950X and with less microstutter.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

This is probably a needed step, but overall this is not exciting at all for gamers at least.

For productivity performance it may not be bad with lower TDP.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Yeah. They had to drop it as a latch ditch effort. This is not something they wanted to do.
You keep repeating that, but it appears the E-Cores did their job. Massive 32% IPC + higher clocks.

MT performance has improved over last gen, and appears to beat Zen5. Why do they need HT when the E-Cores gave them a win for MT?

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
This is probably a needed step
This is just a way to sell you an architecture, massively downvolted at the last minute after the ring bus fiasco. And it's not like they've said goodbye to HT because they really wanted.

Every recent CPU announcement really goes along with 'Well, I guess my 5800x3d is good for a couple of years'.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I refuse to go back to AMD. Frame Stuttering is a plague on my buddies 5950X/4090/32GB RAM on Windows 10 setup. Sure, it may get higher FPS, but not without issues. I'll take stability over specs any day.
This can't be inherent to AMD CPUs, we would hear about it at every step. Frame Pacing/Stuttering has been a big deal for a decade

PaintTinJr

Have they announced the the memory bandwidth of the chipset or am I just being blind not seeing it in the data?

Feel that the chipset announcement is the final nail in this one coming in on price to be competitive, given a CPU + mobo + RAM is the real cost of changing, and with performance being so, so I had expected them to have gone more SoC with these to give the price saving in the motherboard, but seemingly it is costly CPUs, even more costly Z8 chipset motherboards and even more costly high frequency RAM to fall short on performance at similar power efficiency to AMD.

Suspect, if I upgrade before next year's new products from Intel I'll finally be making a move to AMD.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

I refuse to go back to AMD. Frame Stuttering is a plague on my buddies 5950X/4090/32GB RAM on Windows 10 setup. Sure, it may get higher FPS, but not without issues. I'll take stability over specs any day.
I'm on 7600X / 4090, no such issues. And my main hobby is simracing in VR when stable fps is a must. Other games are fine as well. Will be switching to X3D though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Now that I've had some time to think about this, I realized that in all the marketing slides where they talk about gaming performance they compare it to the 14900k and the 9950X but none of the X3D parts.
If it's trading blows with non-X3D parts and sometimes losing then it's definitely going to be slower for gaming than the 7800X3D. Now I'm back to considering just waiting, especially to see if the socket will be supported for more than one generation and if the stability issues are truly solved as well...

Last edited:

PandaOk

Neo Member
Now that I've had some time to think about this, I realized that in all the marketing slides where they talk about gaming performance they compare it to the 14900k and the 9950X but none of the X3D parts.
If it's trading blows with non-X3D parts and sometimes losing then it's definitely going to be slower for gaming than the 7800X3D. Now I'm back to considering just waiting, especially to see if the socket will be supported for more than one generation and if the stability issues are truly solved as well...
Honestly I’d just go with AMD, either the 7800X3D or the upcoming 9000X3D

Ownage

I'm still on a i7 4770 with a GTX 970 and 16gb custom water-cooled build from 2015. It's a great legacy machine, kudos to Gigabyte for making a damn good mobo too.

Any suggestions what to upgrade this unit to? I'd prefer something that I can squeeze another 10 years out of.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm still on a i7 4770 with a GTX 970 and 16gb custom water-cooled build from 2015. It's a great legacy machine, kudos to Gigabyte for making a damn good mobo too.

Any suggestions what to upgrade this unit to? I'd prefer something that I can squeeze another 10 years out of.
In all honesty any of these new platforms will be a big upgrade and last you a long time. Zen 4 X3D, Zen 5 X3D, Zen 5, Arrow Lake.
At this point I'd wait for the Arrow Lake reviews later this month and then decide.

Also guys, isn't the 9800X3D rumored for this month too? Shouldn't AMD be making an announcement soon?

Last edited:

Zathalus

There is no inherent frame stuttering on AMD CPUs. If there was everyone would be up in arms about it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I mean I hate AMD also (For being a cheap, shitty company who wants to race to the bottom for price and being the chip maker of the peasants, the Aldis/kmart of GPUs), but their CPU's do not cause frame rate stutter.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
As much as I enjoy taking the piss out of Intel for offering no gaming improvements, I think this was a necessary move to recover consumer trust.

Focus on lower power/voltage and better stability to regain trust in their product as ramping the volts/power just to try and beat AMD by a few percent was obviously a bad decision and hopefully this generation is a sign of them learning that lesson.

Last edited:

ap_puff

Wait for 9800x3d reviews. I would be very wary of building intel atp since their quality control has taken a nosedive for a few years now. Are you planning to increase the resolution of your monitor?

GHG

Gold Member
I have to say, having looked at the Z890 motherboards I'm impressed, particularly with the fact that with the majority of the boards, everything is offered without compromise.

You get thunderbolt 4, plenty of high speed USB, pcie 5 for both the GPU and NVME and then a bunch of pcie 4 NVME all at the same time. Theres also a thunderbolt 5 connector available on plenty of the motherboards. Stark contrast to the bifurcation minefield that X870 is on the vast majority of the currently available boards.

If the CPU performance is in line with expectations at 1440p and 4k then consider me swayed.

Last edited:

Ownage

Wait for 9800x3d reviews. I would be very wary of building intel atp since their quality control has taken a nosedive for a few years now. Are you planning to increase the resolution of your monitor?
Yes. I'm using a 24' 1080p Dell from 2011 that still works. I sound like a scrub with this old home machine, but this unit has been so reliable I'm more than thrilled with it. Hate to retire it but it's time... soon.

Will upgrade everything to 2024-2025 standards with hopes that it'll go another 10 years. Probably will put USD 3k into it, give or take with a 4k 28-32 inch monitor and desktop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom