• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Core Ultra Desktop CPU (Arrow Lake) October 2024 launch even more likely.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)

Seems that Arrow Lake (probably) the fastest gaming CPU architecture of 2024, launches in a mere 3 months.

Will be a disaster if this comes out and trades blows with 1.5-2 year old CPUs, like Zen5.

Seems that Arrow Lake (probably) the fastest gaming CPU architecture of 2024, launches in a mere 3 months.

Will be a disaster if this comes out and trades blows with 1.5-2 year old CPUs, like Zen5.
So hyped for this. This is literally a next gen CPU. I bet the PS6s CPU will struggle to significantly outperform Arrow Lake just like the PS5 struggles to outperform Skylake currently. It should do very well against Alder Lake and Raptor Lake. Now the real question is how will it compare to M4 and Zen 5.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So hyped for this. This is literally a next gen CPU. I bet the PS6s CPU will struggle to significantly outperform Arrow Lake just like the PS5 struggles to outperform Skylake currently. It should do very well against Alder Lake and Raptor Lake. Now the real question is how will it compare to M4 and Zen 5.
I haven’t been keeping up with CPU tech, what makes this so significant?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So non-K u5s are gonna be using C0 lower binned chips......to be expected I guess.
Still looking forward to this probably gonna end up getting a K chip this time even if I have no interest in overclocking.
Im entirely GPU rendering these days so I dont mind Hyperthreading going.....though I wonder how valuable the u9 is going to be for people now.

CORE-ULTRA-200-ARROW-LAKE.jpg

Getting used to the new naming scheme is gonna take a while.

I dont understand why they are using 5 at all, im guessing its purely to accommodate all the u5 CPUs.....maybe e-coreless variants and for different Xe-Core Counts?

• u9-290K
  • u9-280
  • u7-270K
  • u7-260
  • u5-250K
  • u5-240
  • u5-230
  • u5-220
Was that so hard?

What the fuck is this shit ↓

Rg41VVH.png

Last edited:

Xyphie

I dont understand why they are using 5 at all, im guessing its purely to accommodate all the u5 CPUs.....maybe e-coreless variants and for different Xe-Core Counts?

Same reason AMD does 9600X, 9700X etc for the initial launch and then doing 9600 and 9700 later on. It gives them the optionality of doing price cuts without doing a price cut by launching a new SKU with 100 MHz less clocks at a lower price.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Same reason AMD does 9600X, 9700X etc for the initial launch and then doing 9600 and 9700 later on. It gives them the optionality of doing price cuts without doing a price cut by launching a new SKU with 100 MHz less clocks at a lower price.

Non-K CPUs are in the graph already.

Unless you mean the cheaper u5-245K would be known as the u5-240K.......which would be confusing because the u5-240 exists already and is the replacement for the i5-xx400.
People would assume its an overclockable u5-240 not a cheaper u5-245K.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why is there an expectation that this'll significantly outperform Zen5? I haven't been paying much attention to CPUs, outside of the myriad issues with the current Intel stuff, but I'm in the market for a new system later this year.

Black_Stride

Why is there an expectation that this'll significantly outperform Zen5? I haven't been paying much attention to CPUs, outside of the myriad issues with the current Intel stuff, but I'm in the market for a new system later this year.

I dont think anyone is expecting it to "significantly" outperform Zen 5.
But Zen 5 pretty much only just caught up to RaptorLake.
If this is ~20% faster than RaptorLake then in theory it will be faster than Zen 5.
Then Zen5X3D will beat that then we will be on PantherLake and the saga continues.....Wu-Tang, Wu-Tang!

If you are in camp Intel then its a good get and its the start of a new socket, new node, new architecture.

0seM8Lb.png

P.S
Myriad of issues with current Intel?
Other than the i9s seemingly cooking the ringbus what issue have Intel CPUs been having?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I dont think anyone is expecting it to "significantly" outperform Zen 5.
But Zen 5 pretty much only just caught up to RaptorLake.
If this is ~20% faster than RaptorLake then in theory it will be faster than Zen 5.
Then Zen5X3D will beat that then we will be on PantherLake and the saga continues.....Wu-Tang, Wu-Tang!

If you are in camp Intel then its a good get and its the start of a new socket, new node, new architecture.

0seM8Lb.png

P.S
Myriad of issues with current Intel?
Other than the i9s seemingly cooking the ringbus what issue have Intel CPUs been having?

Basically, this: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/inte...-crashes-with-13th-and-14th-gen-cpus.1672744/

Which has me more than a little cautious about going Intel with my next build.

Black_Stride

Basically, this: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/inte...-crashes-with-13th-and-14th-gen-cpus.1672744/

Which has me more than a little cautious about going Intel with my next build.

Oh the i9s cooking themselves?
Didn't affect 12th gen.....13th gen had way way too much voltage at the top end. i9s can eat 1.5v.

I'll never buy a u9 so I'm not even worried, I always wondered how people could rationalize buying i9s for gaming rigs.

ArrowLake might be my first 8 core CPU, but realistically I'm going for the 6 core.
No hyoerthreading I highly doubt ArrowLake will be thirstier than RaptorLake

YCoCg

i am out of touch with intel CPU naming scheme. Its hard to understand whats going on.
It's a trash naming scheme but pretty much what was once i is now ultra, and the k models have been split up more.

E.g. what used to be an i5 is now a Core Ultra 5 is the most basic one

StereoVsn

I don’t know, I am kind of side eying Intel after the current snafu with degrading i9 and even i7 chips.

Figure might as well wait and see what AMD brings to the table with their 9K 3D cache line.

Leonidas

Possible clock speeds for top SKU.

5.7/5.4 GHz P-Core
4.7/4.6 GHz E-Core

so vs. 13900K its only a 100MHz decrease for the P-Cores, but a 300-400MHz increase for the E-Cores (if true).

Pretty good if true.

I wouldn't say I think it would significantly outperform, but I do believe Arrow Lake will be better in many areas for the following reason.
  • better node than Zen5 (first time Intel has had this advantage in many years)
  • E-Cores improved dramatically (could be ~50% better overall than prior E-cores)
  • first desktop CPU with an NPU
  • Zen5 gaming results seem abysmal for a 2024 CPU (only 12% better than the old Zen3 5800X3D according to AMD).
  • AMD doesn't seem to have an answer for the i5 (since 12th Gen i5 has more MT and better gaming than AMD 8-Core at a similar or better price).
  • AMD RAM needs certain speed for 1:1 fabric, Intel should still benefit from higher speeds

Last edited:

hinch7

Horrible naming sceme aside, looking forward to this. About time Intel actually has something competitive with Zen processors.

If they get the gaming crown down, I might even think of switching over.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just hope Intel can get their heat (and stability) in check for Arrow Lake.
I haven't used AMD since Athlon 64 but I'm on the fence and will wait for reviews...

Leonidas

Early performance data

Need more data, but there are some good signs at least. Those E-cores seem to really be helping a lot in MT.

Leonidas

Very happy to see that the clocks are overall similar to last gen (slightly slower P-cores but faster E-cores should make up for the P-clock deficit).

I wonder if the E-cores can be overclocked much though, all SKUs seem to run at 4.6 GHz E-cores. Very curious why those are all the same.

i5 should still have decent P-core overclocking headroom as before.

Black_Stride

Isn't there a single CPU without stupid e-cores?

For ArrowLake?

Doesnt seem like it.
Just disable them if you are thinking of getting ArrowLake but dont want e-cores for whatever reason.
Noting ArrowLake isnt expected to have HyperThreading.

Leonidas

Some Arrow Lake updates at the conference.
  • 100w less than currently at the high end
  • voltage issues from prior architecture eliminated
  • perf. confidential but expected to be very impressive
Seems very likely Arrow Lake takes the 2024 CPU gaming crown, while bringing the power down. I might step back up to the i7, or i9, depending on how things turn out. I hope Intel does the full unveil in September with performance numbers...

Glad Intel is taking time to reveal perf. numbers, hopefully Intel 1st party numbers are closer to reality than others...

Last edited:

Gp1

What about Bartlett Lake? It doesn't make any sense to launch Bartlett after Arrow.

Leonidas

Its too bad Intel Innvation was cancelled. But it doesn't seem like it affects the launch, announcements are promised for the Fall.

There is also reports of a new low core count CPU.

The new i3 is expected to have 8 cores. Its amazing if an i3 on Intel has 8 Cores, just 4 years ago that was i7 class, how things have changed... very happy to see 8 cores on a low end CPU.

The i3 might be a beast in the Arrow Lake generation.

Literally nothing in that link or information you posted suggests that at all.
The 2024 desktop gaming CPU crown is a two way battle between Zen5 and Arrow Lake.

Zen5 performs about the same as Raptor Lake. The only way Arrow Lake loses is if it goes backwards. I just can't see a next-gen desktop CPU, on a new node and new architecture going backwards from previously. But maybe I'm completely wrong in thinking this, we'll see...

Last edited:

Leonidas

From what I heard, they dropped HT out of desperation. This is something they didn't want to do. Which is worrying.
It was done to reduce the size of the core and increase power/price/area efficiency.

E-cores are much more powerful than the HT increase of a P core.

DeaDPo0L84

I have a 4090 paired with a 13700k at the moment. I don't notice any issues BUT if the new cpus provide a noticeable uplift across the board I'll upgrade.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
13700k paired with a 4090. It will have to be good uplift on performance for me to upgrade. Keeping in mind i only play at 4k res. Any gains at that res are smaller.

winjer

Gold Member

The flagship SKU, Core Ultra 9 285K, is reported to feature 8 Lion Cove (Performance) cores and 16 Skymont (Efficient) cores. This is the highest configuration in the lineup, which is also said to boost up to 5.7 GHz with Thermal Velocity Boost technology, as previously disclosed. These specs refer to the 125W TDP variant, but the SKU will also be available with 65W (285 non-K) and even 35W TDP (285T) configurations. For these SKUs, the base clock will be much lower: 2.5 GHz and 1.4 GHz, respectively, compared to the 3.7 GHz P-Core based on the 285K.

TDPCoresBase(GHz)Turbo(GHz)TVBTBMT 3.0TBT 2.0
Intel Core Ultra 200 Lineup
Core Ultra 9 285K125W8P + 16E (24)3.7|3.25.4|4.65.7GHz5.6GHz5.5GHz
Core Ultra 9 28565W8P + 16E (24)2.5|1.95.3|4.65.6GHz5.5GHz5.4GHz
Core Ultra 9 285T35W8P + 16E (24)1.4|1.24.7|4.55.4GHz5.4GHz5.3GHz
Core Ultra 7 265K125W8P + 12E (20)3.9|3.95.2|4.6N/A5.5GHz5.4GHz
Core Ultra 7 265KF125W8P + 12E (20)3.3|3.35.2|4.6N/A5.5GHz5.4GHz
Core Ultra 7 26565W8P + 12E (20)2.4|1.85.1|4.6N/A5.3GHz5.2GHz
Core Ultra 7 265F65W8P + 12E (20)1.5|1.24.6|4.5N/A5.3GHz5.2GHz
Core Ultra 7 265T35W8P + 12E (20)2.4|1.85.0|4.5N/A5.3GHz5.2GHz
Core Ultra 5 245K125W6P + 8E (14)4.2|3.65.0|4.6N/AN/A5.2GHz
Core Ultra 5 245KF125W6P + 8E (14)4.2|3.65.0|4.6N/AN/A5.2GHz
Core Ultra 5 24565W6P + 8E (14)
Core Ultra 5 23565W6P + 8E (14)
Core Ultra 5 22565W6P + 4E (10)3.3|2.74.7|4.4N/AN/A4.9GHz
Core Ultra 5 225F65W6P + 4E (10)3.3|2.74.7|4.4N/AN/A4.9GHz

BlackTron

Nice to see an actually new CPU instead of your uncle's old one that got glitchy from OC profiles.

Not something I would buy gen 1 on, but fun to watch if Intel can turn it around.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Remember, folks, when a company with the ethical integrity and extremely limited cash reserves of Intel launches a new product based on a new architecture--even if they're in the midst of a silicon degradation scandal, it's your duty as a mindless American consumer to rush out and buy the 1st gen offering.

Leonidas

Nice to see an actually new CPU instead of your uncle's old one that got glitchy from OC profiles.

Not something I would buy gen 1 on, but fun to watch if Intel can turn it around.
I don't consider these Gen1, as Meteor Lake was the first Core Ultra CPUs with tiled architecture, and Meteor Lake did not have the issues that the older Raptor Lake ran into.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So, once again, not a single 8 core CPU without the E-cores.

Not even a 6 core CPU like the 12400.
Yeah to be honest even if the E-cores are way more effective for high multicore work, I'd rather have 10 p-cores than 8 p-cores + 12 e-cores.
But I guess games don't use more than 8 cores so anything other than that would benefit more from the many e-cores.
I guess I just miss the "normal" cpu designs rather than Intel going with Big/Little cores and AMD going with the dual CCX's.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Yeah to be honest even if the E-cores are way more effective for high multicore work, I'd rather have 10 p-cores than 8 p-cores + 12 e-cores.
But I guess games don't use more than 8 cores so anything other than that would benefit more from the many e-cores.
I guess I just miss the "normal" cpu designs rather than Intel going with Big/Little cores and AMD going with the dual CCX's.
I just want whatever gives me the best performance overall for my money, and the E-cores seem to be helping with that greatly as my i5 can beat an R7 in many MT tasks. The type of core used is irrelevant to me as long as the performance is there.

I've grown onto the E-cores, as it is another thing that can be tuned/overclocked. And I'm curious to see how much faster the new E-cores are since they run at higher clocks and have much higher IPC.

The flagship SKU, Core Ultra 9 285K, is reported to feature 8 Lion Cove (Performance) cores and 16 Skymont (Efficient) cores. This is the highest configuration in the lineup, which is also said to boost up to 5.7 GHz with Thermal Velocity Boost technology, as previously disclosed. These specs refer to the 125W TDP variant, but the SKU will also be available with 65W (285 non-K) and even 35W TDP (285T) configurations. For these SKUs, the base clock will be much lower: 2.5 GHz and 1.4 GHz, respectively, compared to the 3.7 GHz P-Core based on the 285K.

TDPCoresBase(GHz)Turbo(GHz)TVBTBMT 3.0TBT 2.0
Intel Core Ultra 200 Lineup
Core Ultra 9 285K125W8P + 16E (24)3.7|3.25.4|4.65.7GHz5.6GHz5.5GHz
Core Ultra 9 28565W8P + 16E (24)2.5|1.95.3|4.65.6GHz5.5GHz5.4GHz
Core Ultra 9 285T35W8P + 16E (24)1.4|1.24.7|4.55.4GHz5.4GHz5.3GHz
Core Ultra 7 265K125W8P + 12E (20)3.9|3.95.2|4.6N/A5.5GHz5.4GHz
Core Ultra 7 265KF125W8P + 12E (20)3.3|3.35.2|4.6N/A5.5GHz5.4GHz
Core Ultra 7 26565W8P + 12E (20)2.4|1.85.1|4.6N/A5.3GHz5.2GHz
Core Ultra 7 265F65W8P + 12E (20)1.5|1.24.6|4.5N/A5.3GHz5.2GHz
Core Ultra 7 265T35W8P + 12E (20)2.4|1.85.0|4.5N/A5.3GHz5.2GHz
Core Ultra 5 245K125W6P + 8E (14)4.2|3.65.0|4.6N/AN/A5.2GHz
Core Ultra 5 245KF125W6P + 8E (14)4.2|3.65.0|4.6N/AN/A5.2GHz
Core Ultra 5 24565W6P + 8E (14)
Core Ultra 5 23565W6P + 8E (14)
Core Ultra 5 22565W6P + 4E (10)3.3|2.74.7|4.4N/AN/A4.9GHz
Core Ultra 5 225F65W6P + 4E (10)3.3|2.74.7|4.4N/AN/A4.9GHz
Leaked by OneRaichu

4K0hJSH.png

Can't wait to see how these perform. It's the first time I've been excited for an Intel product in a long time.

Top Bottom