• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel is laying off over 15,000 employees and will stop all ‘non-essential work’

StereoVsn

Waiting for the low teens personally, and even then I think it will be high risk if the circumstances remain as they are now.

Wallstreet aren't even falling for it. It's currently in free-fall after hours.

Their margins and EPS have been butchered, they are forecasting a loss next quarter and the dividend is toast. Unless you already had a sizable position from donkeys ago that you're still up on and you're able to sell call options against it, then there is literally no reason to be in this stock right now at these prices.

Both AMD and Nvidia have blown past them in all areas in recent years.
Yeah, the new CEO was just as bad as last one.

Edit: The workers aren’t “non-essential”, Intel decided to kill off R&D, manufacturing expansion and probably anything and everything not related to their CPU/Motherboard business.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

BWJinxing

They fucked up the intel modems in the 10th gen iPhone. They would underperform in comparison to the broadcom modems, slower to connect, etc. Apple brought the chip rights off them.

They fucked up CPUs in the PUMA 6 / PUMA 7 cable modems, that results in packets being dropped under any load. Pushed a firmware update that would just migrate the issue. never made a true hardware fix. These modems are still out here fucking up your gaming and VPN connections.

They fucked up the Atom CPUs in some routers that would just crash, required a hardware replacement as it was a hardware fault.

They fucked up 13th / 14th gen CPUs, with the on-going developing issue.

They fucked up the fab rollout plan, over many years. DELAY. DELAY. Intel announced all those processes that were supposed to happen. Currently they best intel can do is like 10nm - 7 nm dies. TSMC is down to 3nm, developing 2nm process.

The CEO sure did give himself a fat raise the the year if i recall.

Intel has been on the decline for like the last decade, its not been a recent problem. If it wasn't for the shady deals, they would realistically have experienced this sooner. Deals such as paying OEMs to only supply intel, Datacenters got discounts on chips for shunning AMD.

Last edited:
WE9vdet.jpeg

Down 5.5% during the day and then another -17% after hours when they announced this. Totally nuts.
haha that's brutal

sold all my intel stock last week for unrelated reasons. got lucky.

lmimmfn

Arc will probably not continue, would be my guess.
It will continue, the AI gold rush is on and Intel need products in that market and thus have to invest in gpu R&D.

I don't understand the shock, it was well known that Intel were in trouble last year and I would expect more layoffs in Q4 or Q1 next year.

All these companies are laying off staff because the cheap loans are gone with the interest rate hikes. It's good in the long run.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It will continue, the AI gold rush is on and Intel need products in that market and thus have to invest in gpu R&D.

I don't understand the shock, it was well known that Intel were in trouble last year and I would expect more layoffs in Q4 or Q1 next year.
They are making huge cuts to R&D and manufacturing. I don’t see how that wouldn’t negatively affect GPU development.

GHG

Gold Member
Yep, but also the hope was that since he came out of engineering and not finance he isn’t going to f up as badly.

Which is ironic because their financial position has only accelerated in it's deterioration since he was put in that position, and in doing so that's put them in an almost impossible position as far as r&d is concerned.

haha that's brutal

sold all my intel stock last week for unrelated reasons. got lucky.

Made out like a bandit. There was a beautiful pop last week due to trumps Taiwan comments, but that turned out to be nothing more than exit liquidity for the big boys.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I don't get, didn't Intel received a big paycheck from the us gov to build a foundry on us soil? What happens now?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know how accurate my numbers are as I just took what was in Yahoo Finance's Financial tab. But doing some math, here's what I got for SG&A. I like playing with stats and spreadsheets. lol. As Ive said here and there on Gaf, companies like to keep SG&A ratios in line. Once it gets wacky (high), it's firing time.

Their R&D ratio is through the roof too. Maybe it has to do with whatever plants they have being built (non-functioning).

But what is killing them is revenue has dropped $20 billion since those covid years, while SGA and R&D are kind of the same.

alsBSnS.jpeg

Last edited:

Dorago

This may save them from the millions of defective CPUs they've sold over the last year. I guarantee that management knew they were defective too and had them shipped anyways. Literally worse than the 360 RROD.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Love him or hate him, this is why Jensen is a pretty smart guy relative to other CEOs who appear to be somewhat useless and transparently interchangeable.

This is what happens when you spend years of pushing out refreshed versions of the same cpu and the competition finally surpasses you.
AMD didn't surpass them. Intel chips are still faster.

Intel fucked up though and released dodgy chips that crash if you dare to try to use them, and they now have to pay the price for that. Literally.

They have competent people. They have incompetent management who can’t direct and focus resources.
I am pretty sure management cannot test microcode....Considering what I see at the corporate - the brightest minds are not there anymore. Those who could left for better pastures long time - usually to science.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I am pretty sure management cannot test microcode....Considering what I see at the corporate - the brightest minds are not there anymore. Those who could left for better pastures long time - usually to science.
Management can make unrealistic goals and not assign enough resources though.

Intel’s issues here are not related to 13th/14th gen problems, which are quite serious.

Intel got hammered in all directions because of lack of focus and lack of ability to deliver, especially on the AI hardware end.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I don't get, didn't Intel received a big paycheck from the us gov to build a foundry on us soil? What happens now?

We wait until they start building it, then wait for them to finish building it, then wait to see if they actually make anything useful.

Intel got hammered in all directions because of lack of focus and lack of ability to deliver, especially on the AI hardware end.
With AI they just missed the boat. Just like AWS. But that's a separate matter. Intel has like 6 times more employees than Nvidia and their output is not comparable.

I just don't buy into the argument that management somehow is responsible for bad architecture decisions, coding etc. to a point that the device is broken. Usually it boils down to people not giving a shit, not caring and stuff. Intel is kinda like Boeing at this point - it is a lucrative place to work but nobody likes their job there and don't give a shit. I saw that at the bank when I was working there - high salary, no skills and crap results with or without management involvement. I eventually left to have more fun at a different company.

Management is a scapegoat all the time because - for some reason - people believe that developers want to have their product to work the best and perform the best. From what I have seen - that's not the case.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Large number, but doesn't look like a significant % of workforce compared to other tech companies lately. I turned down an offer for them in Arizona a few years back. Would hate to have made that move then get laid off.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Large number, but doesn't look like a significant % of workforce compared to other tech companies lately. I turned down an offer for them in Arizona a few years back. Would hate to have made that move then get laid off.
Actually it might had been a good move. Pending your state's employment laws, hiring and gutting an employee in record time is in bad faith and you'd likely get a half decent pay out.

Top Bottom