• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting: Nintendo bothered to patent Mario 64 technology (camera, etc...)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Sho Nuff

Banned
"game program executing processing system to detect whether a player controlled character is moving on a sloped surface and to modify the character's moving speed as a function of the slope of the surface."

Can someone explain what these patents mean? Do they mean I can no longer have my character slow down as he runs up a hill?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sho Nuff said:
"game program executing processing system to detect whether a player controlled character is moving on a sloped surface and to modify the character's moving speed as a function of the slope of the surface."

Can someone explain what these patents mean? Do they mean I can no longer have my character slow down as he runs up a hill?

You can, but you cannot do it the same way as they do ;).

didn't Sega patent some of the camera technology for Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighting, forcing Namco to pay some royalties off Tekken and Ridge Racer?

ferricide

GaimeGuy said:
Just like patents on operating systems, books, music, and movies, right?
you don't patent books and movies. =P and you don't patent music the way you mean it, since you obviously don't understand the difference between "patent" and "copyright."

copyright makes a lot of sense, although corporations tend to try and abuse it, of course. software patents make varying degrees of sense depending on how basic or obvious the thing being patented is and how much granting the patent will make innovation (or even merely creation) difficult/impossible for other companies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ferricide said:
you don't patent books and movies. =P and you don't patent music the way you mean it, since you obviously don't understand the difference between "patent" and "copyright."

copyright makes a lot of sense, although corporations tend to try and abuse it, of course. software patents make varying degrees of sense depending on how basic or obvious the thing being patented is and how much granting the patent will make innovation (or even merely creation) difficult/impossible for other companies.

oh... yeah....

*shoots himself*

Stupid mistake.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
GaimeGuy said:
Just like patents on operating systems, books, music, and movies, right?
Umm, you don't patent books, music and movies. Those are copyrighted. Not sure what, if anything, is done for operating systems as a whole...

I really don't see how this is surprising. Programming and coding is just like inventing, but with a less tangible medium. You're still devising a method, process or system to produce some kind of result.

Only question is how minor or major the code/concept can be to deserve a patent.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Ever wonder why the camera doesn't pan in and out smoothly when switching your view in racing games? Yeah, that's because SEGA OWNS THE PATENT. If a game does that, they are paying Sega.

Retarded.

Ranger X

Patenting software code is completely stupid. It's like if there were patent on an instrument i would want to use to make music.

Anyone remember those old-ass Atari software patents? The ones that they used to sue anyone possible back in the early 90's? Those were ridiculous.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dan said:
I really don't see how this is surprising. Programming and coding is just like inventing, but with a less tangible medium. You're still devising a method, process or system to produce some kind of result.

Only question is how minor or major the code/concept can be to deserve a patent.

The question is how obvious something is. Certain things are being patented that are so obvious it just makes no sense. To illustrate, if you have a programming class in college, and you give the class an exercise to do, you'll find the same solutions cropping up over and over again - some things are so obvious that many people will arrive at the same solution independently. Some companies are going along and patenting widely used algorithms etc. that have become standards over long periods of time - that just isn't right. It's stifling innovation and progress...software engineers and programmers have to come with arbritrary and gimmicky solutions to problems simply to avoid doing it the same way as something that has been patented. A lot of time is lost checking algorithms against those already patented. It's just a silly situation! Some algorithms are deserving of patents, but a lot that aren't have been patented..unfortunately the patent office usually just doesn't understand these things..they're just rubber-stamping them without looking into them any further, simply because they are not qualified to do so. If it hasn't already been done, an independent watchdog should be set up to monitor patent applications and approvals in the software industry, imo.

Sho Nuff said:
Ever wonder why the camera doesn't pan in and out smoothly when switching your view in racing games? Yeah, that's because SEGA OWNS THE PATENT. If a game does that, they are paying Sega.

Retarded.
shit, i forgot all about that... but now that you mention it, i remember it was a big deal on bbses back in the day...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
they're just rubber-stamping them without looking into them any further, simply because they are not qualified to do so. If it hasn't already been done, an independent watchdog should be set up to monitor patent applications and approvals in the software industry, imo.
In a patent office that approved such nonsense as perpetual motion machines, free energy generators, lossless compression of arbitrary random data etc. I think there's a lot more that warrants monitoring then just software industry applications.

But I agree, software patents are generally much more of a bad then good thing, especially nowadays when abuse is becoming more and more frequent.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
gofreak said:
The question is how obvious something is. Certain things are being patented that are so obvious it just makes no sense.
Basically what I meant. I've done a fair share of coding and taken a few courses so I know what you're talking about.

If it hasn't already been done, an independent watchdog should be set up to monitor patent applications and approvals in the software industry, imo.
I think that's fair. I might go further and reduce the duration of a software patent too.

Although, informed and knowledgeable people should be in charge of approving ALL patents, not just software ones. But I've studied a lot of the patent office's role in telecommunication development, and well, they've fucked up often.

Top Bottom