• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interview with BoA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
From the Korea Times:

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200407/kt2004072717142844430.htm

perfectsoul200407271720410boa1.jpg

Korean Pop Diva BoA Shines Over Asia
By Dorothy Nam
Contributing Writer

A huge star in Korea and throughout Asia, it's hard to believe that BoA is only 19 years old. Already a veteran in the music industry and full of ambition, this young star has her sights set on someday conquering the States and even giving acting a try in the future.

Question: How did you get started with your music?

Answer: Well, I'm 19 right now. I officially started when I was in sixth grade and I came to this company and applied as a singer. I was also interested in music and artists such as Seoteiji ever since I was little.

Q: When you met other older singers within the company, how did you feel?

A: I didn't meet that many when I first started _ there weren't that many in training at the time. Either way, I just practiced hard, since that was a very long period of time.

Q: How many hours did you practice?

A: When in school, 4-5 hours a day and usually when off school, I usually practice all day. I don't just practice singing, there's also dancing that I have to practice.

Q: Did you personally study Japanese?

A: Before debuting in Japan I got private lessons, and after the debut, I didn't take any lessons but learned the language while living there.

Q: What do you think is the hardest part about learning a new language?

A: That would be the writing. It's hard because I can't write Chinese and many languages in Asia start with Hanja or Chinese characters.

Q: Are you planning on going to university?

A: No, don't think I would do well if I were to go. There isn't any time for me to go now. I'll go when I feel the need to and when I really want to study. Plus, I'm not too sure on what I would study in university. For now, I want to focus on what I'm responsible for _ singing and dancing _ and do my best in this.

Q: Which do you like better _ singing or dancing?

A: Both, singing by itself would make my throat hurt, and just the dancing would tire my body, so I like to balance the two.

Q: Which genre of dance do you prefer?

A: I like both watching people dance and actually dancing myself. There are so many genres out right now and I like so many different styles.

Q: Do you research any dance styles on a personal level?

A: I enjoy jazz hip-hop. Before, hip-hop was the main genre but now jazz is becoming popular, so now I'm trying to study it more.

Q: Do you listen to any Japanese songs?

A: Yes. I listen to everything: J-pop, K-pop and English pop songs. Some of my favorite artists are Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5 _ I listen to them when I'm on the run.

Q: What is your favorite food?

A: I like everything except for weird stuff. My favorite Western food would be the bagel. I get it every time I go to New York. I usually get a plain-toasted bagel with cream cheese, of course. In terms of Korean food, I enjoy jjigae and naengmyon _ and I get the noodles cut, of course, instead of slurping it up.

Q: Any changes between before and after your debut?

A: This is something I don't really want to think about. Although people around me talk about BoA of then and now. I don't like to think I'm some kind of a celebrity. I usually stick to just doing my best and when I focus on a certain aspect, there are bound to be changes. I actually spend more time with my old friends than celebrity friends and am closer to them and feel more comfortable with them.

Q: What do you do in your spare time?

A: I watch movies and meet with friends, hang out and go out to eat with them. The sad part of it is that I don't have much time since I am so busy with my work.

Q: Who usually pays when you hang out with friends?

A: It's funny you ask that, my friends usually end up paying. It's probably since because most of them are older than I and they do this according to the Korean custom.

Q: Did you intend to name your new album something other than ``My Name''?

A: Yes. It was originally going to be ``Spark.'' ``My Name,'' on the other hand, had a catchy ring, and it went well with my image change which is what I intended on this album. I also wanted people to listen to the album and to show that I could do music like that on the album too.

Research for New Styles

Q: Will you research for other styles of music?

A: Yes, this new image that I have is getting a very good response from people, but I can't repeat the same thing over and over again. Therefore there is constant research for new styles all the time.

Q: What fashion style do you like the best?

A: I like my style in ``My Name.'' I'm interested in fashion _ especially styles from Paris. I have never been to a fashion show although I really want to go. I just don't have enough time to go right now.

Q: What do you think were the reasons for your success in Japan?

A: I can't say for sure. There aren't defined factors of success rates. I personally think I have had very good luck and my debut benefited from good timing. There weren't that many women singers that danced at the time and my style appealed to audiences then.

Q: Do you have any international plans?

A: I'm planning to go to China. After reaching all of Asia, I wish to work in the United States. I especially want to perform on the MTV show TRL. Artists on this show get to perform on the streets in the middle of New York City and it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Q: What song would you sing on the show?

A: So many… well, I'm doing ``My name,'' so I'll have to sing that for sure.

Q: If you were given the chance of performing in the U.S., would you say that you have accomplished your dream?

A: Yes of course, I'd be very happy. Still, I aim on targeting Asia first, before I go to the U.S. On July 15, I am performing in Beijing at a cultural festival held for artists in China and Korea. Although, I would be happy to accept offers from any overseas countries that are interested.

Q: Was the song ``We'' in Kang Jae-kyu's film made just for the movie?

A: The lyrics were thought up by Kang and the intention of course, was to be used on the soundtrack. I was proud of the fact that the song was played when movie screened in Japan. I had already seen the movie before recording, so it was easier to know and feel the lyrics.

Q: You have already done commercials for GM and Kotse. Do you plan on doing more?

A: I've done so many already. Commercials are hard. I did Honda and Lotte in Japan. I've done a lot more in Korea than Japan.

Q: Do you plan on branching out to anything else?

A: I would like to do some acting, drama (soap opera) more so than movies. Since it's just a vague thought for now, I'm not sure which part I would take on yet. If the chance were given to me, I would have to study acting. Still there's a lot of acting involved in singing on stage, so I think it would be easier. It would be a great challenge.

Q: Do you enjoy filming commercials?

A: Because it takes so long to film a commercial, it was hard for me at the beginning. Now that I'm used to it, it's easier and it's fun.

Q: What's your best commercial that you have shot so far?

A: Pentax Caroutel? I was wearing a black dress in front of a pink background and didn't have any lines. This image appealed to many people. Some people didn't even recognize that it was me.

Q: Do your friends think you've changed?

A: They say I haven't changed much. They tell me I'm fun, comfortable to be with and cool. They like the fact that the way I talk and act are straightforward.

Q: Where does the name BoA come from?

A: My parents named me Boa when I was born. It was a trend at the time to use pure Korean, not Chinese letters for names. My last name is Kwon.

Q: BoA is the name of a type of snake in English. Would you have liked what it meant had you known it beforehand?

A: No, I don't think I would want to have if in that way, but some say that it is a sexy image but my Korean name is my name and not a stage name and it has nothing to do with the snake. I would want everyone to know this too please.

Q: How many hours of sleep do you get in a day?

A: Seven hours, which is a lot. I'm young. I have to focus on taking good care of myself.

Q: Is there anything that you do to protect your voice?

A: I use a humidifier when I sleep and I drink 3 liters of water everyday. I also drink tea and gargle. These things help me with my voice.

Q: Any last words for the readers of The Korea Times?

A: I want to have concerts overseas just like H.O.T. Like my Japanese album, I want to have a chance to record an album for the U.S. To do all this, I still think I need to prepare a lot more. I still think Hollywood is an amazing place for me and would love to perform there.

Kuroyume said:
I wish they would put more effort in bringing Japanese rock here and not these pop acts... bleh

The problem is alot of the rock acts aren't fluent in English enough to make it in the US. As of now, L'Arc~en~ciel would have the best chance since Hyde is fluent enough in English to sing songs clearly. I don't know how well he'd do with speaking English in an interview though.

Kuroyume

Banned
Eh, I like to consider L'arc as JPOP honestly... Fake?'s singer is fluent in Japanese so I don't see why they can't make it here. He is half British and Japanese and was raised in Britain. 90% of Fake?'s lyrics are in English too... oh well it's not like rock is popular in the US anyway...

fart

Savant
2 things americans don't like:

complicated music
foreign languages and/or accents

1 thing that americans do like:

pretty girls

so basically the pop acts are the only ones that really have a mainstream chance. i haven't heard any of hikki's US album, but i'm guessing she has a good chance if she can follow the crowd so to speak, massage her sound to appeal to ameripop sensibilities (most of her music already does, so this is easy) and if she can find the right marketing (super super-important. she NEEDS mtv)

as far as the asian community is concerned, it just doesn't have the size as say, the spanish speaking community, and there's a plurality of languages, so her records will have to be in english, and the way the music industry is set up, you don't make any money until you sell a very very large number of records, so it will have to be composed with the spearsian/l'avril/etc. sound and image in mind.

i think she has the potential to pull it off, but she'll need a huge marketing push and a solid single. i would love to see hikki on mtv us (assuming i ever watched mtv us of course).

oh my god, i thought i was in the hikki thread. i'll post it in there.

i don't think boa has what it takes to make it in the US.

Forgot about fake. They could probably make it but they'd need to be attached to a big label so they could be marketed. Some artists that have tried have only been on small labels, or on big labels that do no marketing for them so they have no chance of making it out of a niche.

L'arc would have a chance because they have a sort of mainstream sound. I could see something like Ready Steady Go taking off in the US.

Suerte

"My Name" is pretty cool, although I have to be in the mood for that kind of music before I listen to it, heh

bjork

We've got some of her concerts on dvd at work... some box that recently came out. Anyway, it's like asian britney or something, minus Britney's slut factor. But the two seem to be pretty similar imo.

Still better than Ayumi Hamasaki, though. Her concerts are like four minutes of a song, then ten minutes of people dancing while Ayu goes, "come on!" "yeah!", and claps her hands and stuff. SING YOU BASTARD...

bjork

It won't work here, though. Americans like someone they can go "omg boobies" one minute, then "what a cow" the minute she's not cool any more. BoA's built more like a tall, thin boy.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I didn't even know she was 19 already. For her sake, I hope she doesn't go all "whore" like Britney and Christina as she aproaches 21+ if she does decide to expand her music to the states.

Subitai

Defensor said:
I didn't even know she was 19 already. For her sake, I hope she doesn't go all "whore" like Britney and Christina as she aproaches 21+ if she does decide to expand her music to the states.
Yeah, we can only hope.

IMO, trying to break into the US now is 5-10 years too early. The US/NA Asian population is growing fast, but I think it is going to still be a while before it is big enough to support talent on its own in preparation to word of mouth breakout artists into the mainstream like African and Latin stars have been doing. The other thing is you have to overcome the cultural problems of being famous and getting different nationalities besides Koreans, and Japanese to all buy into you.

That being said, she has as good a chance as anyone.

0wn3d

I've been a pretty big BoA fan for a while. I really like a lot of her earlier Korean songs and her newer Japanese songs. She has released some of her songs sung in English, but with the accent, it would probably be looked down upon in America. I like her style, but she is way to overworked now to even THINK about coming to America. Her last Korean album wasn't all that great.

mint

Banned
I concur. I don't like the way her current style is going..just too similar with what I hear from other singers. Her past are definately better..but I'll look forward to her future songs.

Her favorite food is jjigae woot XD

Favorite singer for me(so far): Lyn, so good. "사랑했잖아" = 짱. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom