• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Invisible, Inc. Thread: Out On Early Access Now!

Panda Rin

feature-slider.png

About the Game
Invisible, Inc. is a mercenary espionage agency operating in the late 21st century. Powerful corporations have taken over the world, enforcing an uneasy peace after long decades of war. The armies may have disbanded, but a shadow conflict rages on in corporate towers and industrial parks of a ravaged world. This is where Invisible thrives.

You are the Operator, and you direct Invisible’s agents in the field. Infiltrate procedurally generated corporate facilities in tense, turn-based missions where every move could be your last. Find profit in chaos as you guide your team around the world in search of lucrative contracts. Infiltrate the corps directly when they are least expecting it, and use the proceeds to upgrade and outfit your agents.

Play in either endless or campaign modes. You’ll need deadly tactical skills to survive long enough to uncover the secrets behind Invisible’s founder and her mysterious AI assistant.

It’s your move, Operator.

Developer: Klei Entertainment
Genre: Turn-Based, Tactical Espionage, Stealth
Features: Permadeath, Procedurally Generated Levels

Release Dates
Platform: PC
Steam Early Access: August 19
Official Release: Early 2015​
Price & Storefronts
$15.99 (20% discount)
Website | Steam | Humble Store

Trailers/Gameplay

Screenshots

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Bought it a while ago and while I liked what I played it badly needed a tutorial. Also the time pressure kinda sucked, not a big fan of it.

Edit: When I said I bought it a while ago I meant like last year or so! So maybe it already has a tutorial

Bought it a while ago and while I liked what I played it badly needed a tutorial. Also the time pressure kinda sucked, not a big fan of it.

Edit: When I said I bought it a while ago I meant like last year or so! So maybe it already has a tutorial

I had the same reaction to the time limit when I first bought into the alpha, but now I think it was the right call. Without it the game would lose the tension of stealth, and would instead become a tedious puzzle game where you keep clicking next turn waiting for the ideal path through guard paths. It's much more interesting when the game forces decisions on you with limited information and resources.

That said, I haven't checked it out in a while. I'm sold on the premise, but I've since learned that I enjoy games more when I sit out early access, so I'll wait for the full release to jump back in.

Raytow

I had the same reaction to the time limit when I first bought into the alpha, but now I think it was the right call. Without it the game would lose the tension of stealth, and would instead become a tedious puzzle game where you keep clicking next turn waiting for the ideal path through guard paths. It's much more interesting when the game forces decisions on you with limited information and resources.

That said, I haven't checked it out in a while. I'm sold on the premise, but I've since learned that I enjoy games more when I sit out early access, so I'll wait for the full release to jump back in.
They have added a tutorial, story mode, and tons of new animations, granted haven't played in a long time, but it feels more like a game now, instead of a prototype.

Woha, that was great leap from the beta to the early access version... Besides the big features mentioned above, the game plays much smoother now thanks to lots of small interface and graphic tweaks.

The storymode makes the progression feel more satisfying and meaningful. After being a diamond in the rough for a while, I think the sparkle is starting to shine through the grit.

Bought this last night and its exactly what I imagine anyone would want out of a turn based game about spies and espionage. It's not easy either, I was instantly challenged and found myself sitting and pondering moves for several minutes.

I have only 2 qualms: the level objectives were unclear, the AP cost of abilities are also unclear but not hard to figure out.

daydream

Banned
Maybe "Klei" should be somewhere in the title. I'm guessing most people are not aware of this game.

I'm definitely buying into it soon btw, been looking forward to this greatly.

Okay fine, I'll buy it. I've been considering it for days, now this campaign of harassment on GAF has pushed me over the edge.

It is discounted by about 25% in early access (i think).

Also, its got-damn Klei, so you can be more than confident that the support and talent are fully there. They only know how to do a great job.

dosh

It is discounted by about 25% in early access (i think).

Also, its got-damn Klei, so you can be more than confident that the support and talent are fully there. They only know how to do a great job.
I also love how they always try different genres with each game. That's really impressive considering they systematically nail their gameplay.

I'm loving this, it's very roguelike in the sense that every run you get a little further until you hit a situation that you're unequipped to deal with (mentally or progression-wise). Random loot/powerups is another roguelike element to enjoy and/or shake your fist at.

You do discover neat little nuances with every playthrough though.... but the difficulty is always ramping up (but so do your options thanks to new characters and equipment... you'll definitely feel the cognitive pressure.)

I wonder if anyone managed to finish the whole 72 hour campaign. If I recall, one of the devs said he can only do it by exploiting his own mechanics rather than playing it straight.

Purkake4

Banned
Really love the art style and the mechanics. Wish Shadowrun could have done the matrix like this with seamless integration.

The title really should have been something like "Invisible, Inc. |OT| Cyberpunk Espionage X-COM from Klei"

Looks a bit like that cancelled Introversion game, Subversion. Definitely looks like a Klei game I can get behind. Their last two never really struck a chord with me.

FLD

I bought this when they first started selling alpha access a year or so ago because I absolutely love Klei but I've barely touched it. It showed a lot of potential back then but there was very little content in the initial build. I really should fire it up to see how it's coming along.

Oh and I'm still bummed out they changed the title. Incognita was so much better. :(

This game is really excellent. I've already played it for 5 hours, and each mission I'm struck by some nuance the game throws up procedurally.

What I would love, and it's probably too much to expect, are co-op and versus modes. If someone could figure out how to take this formula and turn it into a competitive multiplayer game (like a turn-based Spies vs Mercs), I would pay the price of entry all over again.

What I would love, and it's probably too much to expect, are co-op and versus modes. If someone could figure out how to take this formula and turn it into a competitive multiplayer game (like a turn-based Spies vs Mercs), I would pay the price of entry all over again.

Competetive multiplayer is tricky because I think the best feature of this game is giving the player maximum information at all times: unless you deliberately take risks, you're never surprised by the presence and movements of your opponents provided you scourt around carefully.

Getting jumped by another player who messes with your perception through decoys and cloaking devices would probably not feel as 'fair' as the dire situations the game puts you in right now.

Sure, they could create something like that but I don't think it would be the same game at all.

Cooperative multiplayer however...

Yeah, it would be a nightmare to balance and make exciting for both sides from turn to turn, but I love any game that can make griefing a key mechanic (e.g. Spies v Mercs, Left 4 Dead) and get away it.

the AP cost of abilities are also unclear but not hard to figure out.
If something is blue, it will cost AP. If it's yellow, it won't. This isn't intuitive or explained anywhere.

Just played ~30 turns after the level 6 alarm kicked in just to get from one side of the map to the other to evacuate. Killed six guards along the way. Had to heal someone four times. It was kind of brutal.

I managed to play storymode to the end... the final mission is sadly a placeholder rescue mission (with a timer) and not significantly more difficult than the previous ones.

I was really hurting for power at the end, because I rolled with Fusion (invest 5 POW get 12 POW over 4 turns) instead of Power Drip (1 POW per turn)

My team consisted of Banks, Internationale and Deckard (from a rescue.) Banks is probably the most useful character - her ability to open security doors and item to extend KOs are just invaluable.

Clipboard03_zps3cb44c51.jpg

jediyoshi

It literally didn't dawn on me until now that Invisible, Inc. was a play on invisible ink.

I'm getting destroyed even on early game, always lock up around guards. Wish you could just kill them after you've tazed them.

It literally didn't dawn on me until now that Invisible, Inc. was a play on invisible ink.

I'm getting destroyed even on early game, always lock up around guards. Wish you could just kill them after you've tazed them.

Yep, it can be tough going, especially when things ecalate. Some tips:
- Consider killing guards rather than knocking them out. If you don't have Shalem 11 or a lethal weapon, hacking the turrets and luring guards to them will do the trick. There's a small cash penalty but that's nothing compared to losing an agent.
- Be creative with surpression (i.e. sitting on them to prevent the KO timer from counting down.) You can drag their limp bodies all over the place, giving you room to maneuver and still return the same turn for supression. Also, having them wake in a different room than where you took them helps - they'll take longer to get back to you and often search in some other corner of the map. At the very least, drag bodies behind cover so you can supress them even when their colleagues pass the room.
- There's also the option of not engaging at all but rather using one high-stealth agent to lure guards to the other side of the map by flashing in their peripheral vision. You can easily have guards chase their tail, particularly in those large hallways with the pillars. This works best when you have recruited a third agent.
- Agent Banks can paralyze a downed guard for a longer KO and that poison is also an item you can buy (especially on Nanofarb Vestibule missions)

Surprised how little attention this game is getting. I guess Early Access dampens hype for just about anything, but the potential here is incredible, and Klei have a really strong track record.

Einbroch

Banned
Surprised how little attention this game is getting. I guess Early Access dampens hype for just about anything, but the potential here is incredible, and Klei have a really strong track record.

Early Access is the very reason I'm staying away for now.

I won't be burned again. When it's complete I'll likely snag it.

That's fair enough, although this is the first Early Access I've been in on where I haven't felt ripped-off even a little. The core game is just so solid already, and the procedural levels make up somewhat for the lack of content.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I seem to remember that guards stay unconsious if you place a characer right on top of them. Is that still the case/am I misremembering this?

Klei are excellent, and there's no reason to stay away from Early Access when people have already jumped in, and are coming back with a thump up.

I'm staying away from this right now because I really don't want more games exactly now, will buy it later.

I'm just waiting for it to be out of early access. Once it's done, I'll more than likely be jumping in.

jediyoshi

Yep, it can be tough going, especially when things ecalate. Some tips:
- Consider killing guards rather than knocking them out. If you don't have Shalem 11 or a lethal weapon, hacking the turrets and luring guards to them will do the trick. There's a small cash penalty but that's nothing compared to losing an agent.

This is the biggest thing I didn't catch initially. Just playing more and understanding guard movement behaviors seems like the most important learning curve. It's funny since I can't think of another stealth game where there's essentially a penalty for waiting while watching guards move.

Early Access is the very reason I'm staying away for now.

I won't be burned again. When it's complete I'll likely snag it.

Fairly narrow minded, you're best off going by the pedigree of the developers themselves. Though for any other reason you're only looking for a 'completed' game, this is obviously a ways off. In this case, Klei's record of releases and early access usage is probably your safest bet on Steam.

I'm just waiting for it to be out of early access. Once it's done, I'll more than likely be jumping in.

Klei is in a different league than most indie developers, the game is technically rock solid and the content is on par with its price point in early access.

If I didn't know better I would believe this is the release version

Klei is in a different league than most indie developers, the game is technically rock solid and the content is on par with its price point in early access.

If I didn't know better I would believe this is the release version

How complete is it? I guess I should ask if it has a traditional campaign too? That's the type of stuff I don't won't to replay if it's incomplete. I don't mind playing it now if it's just done up to a certain point.

How complete is it? I guess I should ask if it has a traditional campaign too? That's the type of stuff I don't won't to replay if it's incomplete. I don't mind playing it now if it's just done up to a certain point.

I'm not up to date on what they are adding but the primary mode available now is called "story mode" and is a set of procedurally generated missions that seem to progress in difficulty. The story mode reminds me of FTL in that you go for as long as you can until you reach the final mission,which I haven't come close to in about 5 hours of play.

Day one if PS4.. and I have high hopes for that considering Don't Starve. Klei makes incredible games. The screenshots look incredible.

I'm not up to date on what they are adding but the primary mode available now is called "story mode" and is a set of procedurally generated missions that seem to progress in difficulty. The story mode reminds me of FTL in that you go for as long as you can until you reach the final mission,which I haven't come close to in about 5 hours of play.

Gotcha. Might get it now then since it's on sale.

EDIT: Wellll I bought it lol.

This looks really good. I have a thing about only playing completed versions though, so I';ll be waiting until I guess 2015.

Is this slated to come out on more than PC? I figure yes since it's Klei, but who knows?

Man, I really appreciate a game where mission failure is viable to proceed. Similar to XCOM, you can try and bail out when the mission gets too hairy and simply cut your losses and move on.

Man this game is great, first run was really bad, second run I felt like a stealth master...til I got to the "very guarded" maps lol, I am so far loving this game!

Any tips or tricks? I seem to be trying to loot everything I can but should I be more incognito (heh) and more conservative on moves?

Man this game is great, first run was really bad, second run I felt like a stealth master...til I got to the "very guarded" maps lol, I am so far loving this game!

Any tips or tricks? I seem to be trying to loot everything I can but should I be more incognito (heh) and more conservative on moves?

My main tip is to pay attention to the kind of missions you take on, don't just look at the alert state but also the expected rewards.

Try to grab an extra agent as soon as possible - if no prisoner missions show up on the map, consider doing an intel run for more locations.

Cash runs are your next priority.

When you have an abundance of cash, hit the Nanofarb Vestibules (vendor machine with big inventory inside a vault) or the Mainframe missions (vendor machine with hacking upgrades inside a server room).

Giving a Medkit to at least two Agents lets you recover when an isolated agent is shot (no medkit is going to help when you get your entire team gets cornered.)

Make sure you have at least one Agent capable of dealing with armoured guards before taking on the high alert missions.

I usually have two Agents going for the objectives while a third (usually with the highest stealth) scouts for swag and the exit. Guards who are in objective rooms get taken out permanently - I don't like looking over my shoulder on the way out.

And as posted above, don't be afraid of a fail state - head for the exit if the combination of resources and layout isn't in your favour.

FLD

Just had a shot at the game and holy shit, this feels completely different from what I played a year ago! Obviously, it's a lot more polished but it also feels much more like an actual game. Just playing a single map without any context was kinda boring in the early build. I'm also really glad to see they finally implemented the ability to rotate the camera. That was probably my biggest issue with the old version.

Unsurprisingly, my first attempt went south pretty quickly. I couldn't even clear my first mission. I managed to make it through 3 missions on my second run, though. But yeah, this seems to be coming along very nicely. Really glad I jumped in early.

Now I'm almost tempted to just ignore it until the full version is ready. With early access, I always worry that I'll get sick of the game before the final version's release. I also own Dungeon of the Endless and haven't been playing it for the same reason...

My main tip is to pay attention to the kind of missions you take on, don't just look at the alert state but also the expected rewards.

Try to grab an extra agent as soon as possible - if no prisoner missions show up on the map, consider doing an intel run for more locations.

Cash runs are your next priority.

When you have an abundance of cash, hit the Nanofarb Vestibules (vendor machine with big inventory inside a vault) or the Mainframe missions (vendor machine with hacking upgrades inside a server room).

Giving a Medkit to at least two Agents lets you recover when an isolated agent is shot (no medkit is going to help when you get your entire team gets cornered.)

Make sure you have at least one Agent capable of dealing with armoured guards before taking on the high alert missions.

I usually have two Agents going for the objectives while a third (usually with the highest stealth) scouts for swag and the exit. Guards who are in objective rooms get taken out permanently - I don't like looking over my shoulder on the way out.

And as posted above, don't be afraid of a fail state - head for the exit if the combination of resources and layout isn't in your favour.

Thank you BrassDragon! I definitely need to get out of the mindset of trying to force a bad situation to turn good.

Top Bottom