• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

So you put absolutely zero value in either hardware or software design. A rare position to take. I wish you luck with your cart of Cray chips.

LOL.

No I value hardware more as I previously stated .

Also, as long as the software connects me to the internet, that is the true essence of a "smartphone" because without it, its just a phone .

Oppo

who needs more than 200mhz, windows 95, IE 4, and Office 95? I sure as hell don't, it is still the same thing!

ok bill gates

HephalumpsAndWoozles said:
No I value hardware more as I previously stated (LOL).

Also, as long as the software connects me to the internet, that is the true essence of a "smartphone" because without it, its just a phone (LOL).
As bullet points, maybe, but what of the overall integration?

Are you happy just Telnetting into things, using Gopher etc?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No I value hardware more as I previously stated .

Also, as long as the software connects me to the internet, that is the true essence of a "smartphone" because without it, its just a phone .
So you just want an xterm session?

The real key to a decent smartphone is usability.

ok bill gates

As bullet points, maybe, but what of the overall integration?

Are you happy just Telnetting into things, using Gopher etc?

Which phones out now do you have to use these to access the interwebs?

Contrary to popular belief, I dont find the iphone ridiculously easier to use than a droid.

So you just want an xterm session?

The real key to a decent smartphone is usability.

How much more "usable" is the iPhones web than a droids web, or windows phone web etc.?

Contrary to popular belief, I dont find the iphone ridiculously easier to use than a droid.

Seriously, either of us type a website into our phone browser and shockingly it takes us to that website, right?

MThanded

How much more "usable" is the iPhones web than a droids web, or windows phone web etc.?

Seriously, either of us type a website into our phone browser and shockingly it takes us to that website, right
?

I spend most of my time on my iphone inside an app not sitting on a website. If I really wanted to be reading something on the web I'd be in instapaper.

The app interface is a much better frontend to the data I want to see than a raw website in most cases.

Lkr

Seriously, either of us type a website into our phone browser and shockingly it takes us to that website, right?
have you ever compared? using the SEVERAL DIFFERENT BROWSERS on android, safari on the iPhone, and the browser on webos are all operated DIFFERENTLY and all have different features

Out of curiosity... what non iPhone "hardware" do you care that much about?

If it's just about browsing the web for you.. what hardware is doing that better?

Honest question. Bigger screen?

kinggroin

Banned

It isn't, and don't believe the bullshit fanboys will say to the contrary. Both OSs are easy to use by anyone, but ios is MUCH less intimidating at first glance to a smartphone virgin than most android setups.

Also, as good as ICS is, ios is still better when it comes to performance consistency. Only wp7 beats it in that department.

MThanded

It isn't, and don't believe the bullshit fanboys will say to the contrary. Both OSs are easy to use by anyone, but ios is MUCH less intimidating at first glance to a smartphone virgin than most android setups.

Also, as good as ICS is, ios is still better when it comes to performance consistency. Only wp7 brats it in that department.
Thats the big deal. People well versed enough in technology can use both fine.

I would never put an android phone in my parent's hands. The amount of tech support I would be doing for them would be immense.

The biggest difference from a technology perspective is that the apple ecosystem is much more well thought out than the google ecosystem.

I'd rather not turn this into an android vs. ios thread. Both shine in different areas.

Out of curiosity... what non iPhone "hardware" do you care that much about?

If it's just about browsing the web for you.. what hardware is doing that better?

Honest question. Bigger screen?

When I was deciding between an iphone and droidx, the bigger screen was a big deal, along with the voice to text features.

Those two were the deal breakers. More recently, 4g.

kinggroin

Banned
Thats the big deal. People well versed enough in technology can use both fine.

I would never put an android phone in my parent's hands. The amount of tech support I would be doing for them would be immense.

Lol, at first I was going to disagree, but the ame advantage it has in being so open and customizeable makes it that much more easier to fuck up.

Usually I recommend iPhones for family and friends who are scared by technology. I then suggest android as an upgrade if they keep asking "why can't my phone do this and this" and have become comfortable with the basics.

Thing is, good luck getting ios users to try anything but another ios device! That reliability and predictability (not to mention brand strength and status) make it hard to switch.

:)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Photos of the new iPad Clock app: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...pples_clock_app_comes_to_ipad_with_ios_6.html

DGIuI.jpg

mf.luder

I really like the feature on Android that when you set an alarm it tells you how long until the alarm in a little splash bubble.

dream

For the life of me, I just cannot see the difference in the redesigned stores other than the colors.

Curious why they changed the phone # screen.

For the life of me, I just cannot see the difference in the redesigned stores other than the colors.
More appealing to the eye, swipe left scroll to view apps instead of 8-app grid like before.

Much better.

It's not updated on the server side yet so if you're looking on your phone now then you won't see a difference.

Tobor

Well, in itunes, it looks like they've moved purchased into the more list, and broken videos out into movies and tv shows.

I'm hoping there are some back end changes as well, to speed all the stores up.

It may be minor but the "reviews" tab is a nice addition.
I like reading a couple reviews of books that are recommended to me.

Before you had to scroll to the bottom of the page and wait for everything to load.

Quicker, more efficient, I suppose.

guise

Other notable bits and pieces
- the status bar now apparently gets the same tint as whatever colour the nab bar is
- mobile safari has a webkit inspector when hooked up to desktop safari
- Apple's pull-to-refresh animation looks slick - like a viscous blob stretching as you pull down

Shit tonne of images leaking all over twitter. Here's a whole bunch courtesy of @kubilayss

Some kind of new app badge
AvIu7jqCIAA3ITG.jpg

Music
AvIvdjgCMAMo03u.png

Weather
AvIvgKVCAAAQnQp.jpg

3D maps
AvIwFU9CIAAfiJG.jpg

Camera
AvIwXwSCAAAMKvV.jpg

Share screen
AvIwfklCQAAu2Vv.jpg

Keypad!
AvIw3FPCMAIeDbR.png

Navigation
AvIxgXiCAAE5Dbs.jpg

AppStore
AvIxtAzCAAAZKFO.jpg

Facebook sharing
AvI0K6yCAAM6Ntm.jpg

Music player
AvI5kMzCAAEocdm.jpg

Orange highlight on iTunes?
I guess that matches the iPad.

Boo, though. It's ugly.

I don't know why they keep changing things that don't match (silver buttons in the music app vs. black elsewhere).

Er, I like the new keypad but I wish the Nav Bar didn't bleed into the status bar, that looks pretty shit and hopefully they change it.

KtSlime

Everything is hot.

I really like the maps look.

I like that they are using vector graphics, should make things quicker and more seamless than the Google Maps tiles - that with the new API Apple is offering for it, I am not going to miss Google Maps at all.

guise

Orange highlight on iTunes?
I guess that matches the iPad.

Boo, though. It's ugly.

I don't know why they keep changing things that don't match (silver buttons in the music app vs. black elsewhere).

Orange is helpful, its higher contrast and easier to tell the difference between states.

I'm guessing (hoping) the UI elements will become standardised as the beta progresses. They are standard UIKit elements so it stands to reason they would update across all apps that use native components

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So my question would be, for international travel and dead zones, will apple maps have an offline mode or will I still want to have bloated and horrible dedicated map apps like navigon with local storage modes for maps?

Zeppu

They would've mentioned offline maps since that's something not currently offered and quite a big deal. The new Google maps for iOS will have offline maps though but probably won't be integrated with Siri and stuff.

Top Bottom