• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

uM6g9rg.jpg

ikguw41.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Mobile Game of the Year 2015 - Voting

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

sWXV0Si.jpg

Site | Trailer | App Store
Power Hover is an action game about hoverboarding robots!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Really addicted to Power Hover. It's just an utter joy to play. It has influences from games like Race the Sun and Journey (and a touch from Dune :) ), but the art style is beautiful, graceful controls and a wide variety in the stages that increase in challenge with land and water, dizzying perspective changes and ever changing obstacles (both physical and enemies). Easily the best "runner" type game in a long time.
Have to reiterate the praise for Power Hover. I'd argue it's the best premium runner since Boson X. Each level is different and even within a level, perspective and hazards change, making each stage feel like its own adventure. The low poly art style is lovely.
Picked it up this morning. Fantastic little title so far.
Yeah, going to have to jump on the Power Hover love wagon. Game is awesome.

y6DKYBD.jpg

Witness the award-winning world of BADLAND in even more stunning beauty with levels that extend and scroll to all directions. Survive through new elements such as liquids, flamethrowers, frost, magma, water and volumetric burning light. Fall down deadly rifts, fly to any direction and race & jump along the surfaces as a rolling character on your way to safety.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

So yeah, Badland 2
http://youtu.be/tesHfW-4uhM
- Looks gorgeous, even prettier than the first
- already a ton of levels, and the devs are already planning more
- biggest change: you can move left and right, so just imagine the levels and challenges they can make now, when the first game was like the epitome of one-touch level design

Damn, now I'm going to have to reorder my whole GOTY list
Oh my god, decided to buy BADLAND 2 ahead of tomorrow and... Everyone who calls themselve a true gamer should check it out. What they hace done on this sequel is mind blowing... Not only they added a left button, they improved every single aspect of the game! Best part is: Levels are no longer a straight line, they vary and gives an amazing roller coaster feeling. And the level of detail is incredible. Maybe too early but is my GOTY (the first landed GOTY as well).

MyYvmJQ.jpg

"Hendrik is a schlimazel! One last hair on his head, and a pair of teleporting shoes, are all he has left. Everything else was blown away by the wind.
Let yourself get carried away and and find the scattered remains of Hendrik’s house. Charge your batteries and teleport Hendrik through the ever-moving levels.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
Been playing Blown Away for a couple of days and is really entertaining. Is a runner platformer with a teleport mechanic with a few interesting twists like charging and waiting and graphically is a delight, made by the team responsible for the excellent Love, Hate and Others and shares a lot its cute weirdness. Very polished, with lots of bright ideas... loving it. Now it needs an endless mode and GameCenter xD

JK5t1Lf.jpg

A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build is an adorable puzzle game about being a monster and making snowmen.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Charming little game about building snowpeople. Really touched me in a way not many games ever have.
Fantastic game

3307qLj.jpg

Rust Bucket is a turn based dungeon crawler that is built with mobile in mind. Swipe to take a step, swipe into enemies to attack. It’s as simple as that, but don’t be fooled into thinking this is a casual game!
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Rust Bucket is a lot of fun. I keep going back to it in short bursts. I guess earlier in the thread people said it paled in comparison to Ending, but I never played that. I think that as usual it's got the Nitrome charm and graphics that help me keep going back to their games. The tutorial was actually a lot of fun, and I would like to see more structured levels like that. The endless dungeon is ok, but I wish there was more variety and more that you can do with the coins you collect. Maybe there is further in, I've only play this in shorter bursts, but so far it is a little lacking there.
Really disappointed with Rust Bucket. Most of what Nitrome puts out is good, but this one just feels like the same by-the-numbers turn-based thing that we've seen dozens of times. Gunbrick was a great little puzzler that was wholly unique; Rust Bucket feels like it's been done elsewhere, and better to boot.

2TIHxxV.jpg

The original match-3 RPG!™ comes to the Multiverse in Magic: The Gathering Puzzle Quest! Recruit your favorite Planeswalkers, build powerful decks and defeat your enemies in match-3 battles!
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

So, yeah...Magic: The Gathering - Puzzle Quest

I'm sorry Hero Emblems, but you have finally been dethroned

Hero Emblems may be more flashy and have more of an RPG structure, but the sheer depth and the card game/match-3 blend of MtG: PQ makes it the best match-3 I've played...well since Hero Emblems
Wow, playing through the MtG Puzzle Quest tutorial.

Who knew there could be so much strategy in a match 3 game? This could get dangerously addicting.

ok MTG PQ is really dope. it's starting to capture the feel of MTG very well, loving this blue draw deck... hopefully will be able to turn into discard/counter style annoyance

n2Ysz2Z.jpg

Sequel of Award Winning next-gen top down air combat shooter with stunning 3D graphics and amazing orchestral soundtrack.
Enjoy the classic atmosphere of WW2 arcade shoot-'em-ups in modern rendering.
Prepare your plane, level up your pilot and destroy the axis of evil with Flamethrower, Tail Gunner, Bombs, ...
Show your friends no mercy in the daily or weekly challenges!

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Man is this game fantastic. So gorgeous, destructible environments, great controls, no IAPs...This could have been a $10 game easily IMO.
Ai Attack 2 is exactly what it looks like from the trailer. Looks great on my iPad Air. A busy and pretty casual top down shooter.

FRPd6L0.jpg

Welcome our guests to the Rusty Lake Hotel and make sure they will have a pleasant stay. There will be 5 dinners this week. Make sure every dinner is worth dying for.
Rusty Lake Hotel is a mysterious point and click game developed by the creators of the Cube Escape series.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

So far I finished Rusty Lake Hotel and it was a great experience, can be played together too to find out how to solve the puzzles. Overall it felt unique and fun, even though with these kinda puzzle games I am always wondering about the feedback and how to not make it turn into a "just tap the whole screen if your stuck" thing. Nevertheless highly recommended for anyone that likes more out of the ordinary games and narratives.

kIanQdu.png

Site | App Store
Into the Dim is a mysterious RPG adventure of a boy and his dog. Explore tricky dungeons, think steps ahead and evolve traps. Solve puzzles, outwit and defeat enemies and uncover the town mystery!
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

This game is super cute and pretty addicting. Was up way too late playing this. Very nice little rogue-like with some F2P elements that don't get in the way too much (mostly they are there in the form of speeding up upgrade timers, which get exponentially longer the more you upgrade your character). It's deceptively tricky!

BA2ueeM.jpg

Harvest stars and fight with black holes in a magnificent RTS set into the cosmos.

Devouring Stars is a real-time strategy game based on adaptative unit combination and space resources harvesting. Devouring Stars aspires to bring a different scope to the RTS genre while offering visual and audio refinement.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Now this is a game worth picking up. A gorgeous RTS on a cosmic scale. Warring cosmic beings who use the stars as their weapons

A6xeHxL.jpg

The award-winning, best-selling puzzle game franchise Scribblenauts is back! Imagine Anything. Explore Everything.
Welcome to an adventure into a wide-open world, where the most powerful tool is still your imagination. Help Maxwell solve robust puzzles across dozens of seamless, free-roaming levels by summoning any object you can think of. Or you can apply adjectives to existing objects and magically transform their properties! Then learn the back-story about Maxwell's parents, 41 siblings (including his twin sister Lily), and how he got his magical notepad.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

INfcZuJ.jpg

Dropsy is a non-traditional take on the classic point and click adventure formula starring the game’s perpetually carefree namesake clown as he explores a richly detailed world full of colorful characters and sinister secrets, doling out hugs along the way. Rather than lead players on a singular narrative path, players are free to choose which avenues of adventure they want to explore in an open world setting and can piece the puzzles and story together however they choose
screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg

1NCeIu2.jpg

Get ready to head back to the East Coast as Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories returns to mobile devices. With shorter, streamlined missions designed with mobile gameplay in mind, this definitive open-world adventure has been remastered for iOS with extensive graphic enhancements, rebalanced touch controls, cross platform saves and native Retina screen support.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

wcEfO6V.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does regular roundups of iOS releases. http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/
The Light Inside Us - 14th
Crashlands - 21st
Ellipsis - 21st
Rogue Agent
More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming December 2015 | F2P is frightful, but the sales are so delightful

iOS/tvOS Gaming November 2015 | Out of your pocket, into your living room
iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games
iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog
iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them
iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution
iOS Gaming June 2015 | The future is now
iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you
iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs
iOS Gaming March 2015 | Beware the IAPs of March
iOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management
iOS Gaming December 2014/January 2015

Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

aoTNDXB.png
This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.
3jjyWBt.png
J9WRxM9.jpg
iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

i4fPlgu.png

svX4yNR.png

5IdwG5T.png

### The Game Center user list is here: quote to see ###
iOS Membership said:
Rules
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting: GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
  • When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs
JEdp5A3.png

### The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see ###

uPJJtiw.png
How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
iFunBox no longer works on most games post iOS 8.3
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak. i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:
  • Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!
How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).
Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely. As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.
I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Why iOS Rocks / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome and your wallet will hurt.
For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.
I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads
Also thanks to gingerbeardman and colinp for the great thread title this month

Voidance

Very nice thread. I had the good fortune of picking up an Air 2 at Best Buy today for $125 off sticker price as part of an Apple sale they're running. I'm really enjoying it so far, and it seems huge compared the Mini 3 I was using prior.

Anywho, the change is kind of revelational, and it's giving old games new life, so to speak. Starting 2016 off right so far!

I received a Nimbus as an Xmas gift, and it's been a great controller so far. Excellent battery life and no issues with quality or anything. It pleases my OCD that it's not glossy, either -- I have enough Wii U controllers and glossy consoles to keep clean as it is.

Agreed on the Nimbus. I really enjoy how it feels and it's a very solid build.

okno

The Room 3 is really, really great, although not without its problems. A lot of very similar puzzles and way too much backtracking to do one tiny little simple thing, but other than that it's fantastic. I haven't felt as stumped as much as I did with Room 2, but I've only made it through the first three chapters, so hopefully the difficult ramps up some now.

Going to tackle Please, Don't Touch Anything next!

I have the Horipad Ultimate and it's just superb. I agree with the appraisal of the triggers (too straight up) but you quickly get used to it. The glass panel with the menu button is a finger print magnet. But neither of these issues make me regret my purchase (I tried the Nimbus, but the Speedy wasn't out when I bought mine)

Did some preliminary counting of the current votes in the GOTY thread

There's currently a four-way tie for 10th place

Isn't
Pac-Man 256
in 10th place with 12?

really needs to be more than 10 games that can be voted for + allowing for Honorable mentions to break ties.

Isn't
Pac-Man 256
in 10th place with 12?

really needs to be more than 10 games that can be voted for + allowing for Honorable mentions to break ties.
I don't mind ties. If anything, it gives more games attention

Currently, there are three games tied for 7th (14 points), two games for 8th (13 points), and four for 10th (9 points)
Pac-Man 256 is 9th place with 12 points

Edit: some recent votes reshuffled the deck, so now 9th place is the only tie atm
But unless there's a major upset, the top 3 are definitely set in stone

RustyO

Wish some more people were participating in the GoTY thread.

I should, but I always feel lie I don't play enough / am quite a bit behind... only played Monument Valley a couple of weeks ago...

So I just use it for recommendations instead. ;)

Anilones

I don't join in due to the extremely broad nature of iOS gaming, I can't remember most games I've played.

The use of a shortlist of e.g. 25 games would get me involved.

Anilones

Have you seen this thread? Not exactly a "short" list, but it does cover all the major releases of 2015
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160360

Yes I have, and it's very helpful - thank you. But for the purposes of an iOS GOTY I feel that it will largely be a popularity test with many brilliant games going under the radar simply due to how large the App Store is. You do a brilliant job here making sure that doesn't happen though.

I'm just lazy.

I'll try to get my GotY list done sometime before this week is up. It is surprisingly difficult to figure out the ordering given the level of content out this year, I've had the top six or so games altering position every time I look at my current test list.

Chuckpebble

Has anyone tried Breakneck yet?

I was excited to try it for a while because I had an unsupported phone. I was kind of disappointed by it once I got to try it. The results screen kind of killed it for me. Like if I could rapidly keep making attempts I might've stuck with it a bit longer.

awp69

A few decent sales to start the New Year:

Machinarium $4.99 --> $1.99
Machinarium Pocket $2.99 ---> $1.99
Botanicula (iPad only) $4.99 --> $1.99
Out There $4.99 --> $.99
Gezundheit! $2.99 --> $.99
Gezundheit! HD $4.99 --> $.99
Raystorm $8.99 --> $3.99
Rogue Saga $1.99 --> Free

Pachimari

I wish Dragon Quest VI would go on sale now. I'll just end up buying it full price, even though it'll have many sales during the year.

Matt Frost

A few decent sales to start the New Year:

Machinarium $4.99 --> $1.99
Machinarium Pocket $2.99 ---> $1.99
Botanicula (iPad only) $4.99 --> $1.99
Out There $4.99 --> $.99
GeSundheit! $2.99 --> $.99
GeSundheit! HD $4.99 --> $.99
Raystorm $8.99 --> $3.99
Rogue Saga $1.99 --> Free

ftfy

One of the very best games on the AppStore. at 99c, is a gift

Hey guys, wondering if you can help me.

Been playing alot of Etrian Odyssey on the 3DS, and am also in the mood for a good old school turn based First Person RPG with a modern feel on the iPhone.

I do have Wolfenstein RPG and I like that but looking for something with a more fantasy flair to it.

Also bonus points if its a roguelike :p

Any help would be muchly appreciated

Hey guys, wondering if you can help me.

Been playing alot of Etrian Odyssey on the 3DS, and am also in the mood for a good old school turn based RPG with a modern feel on the iPhone.

I do have Wolfenstein RPG and I like that but looking for something with a more fantasy flair to it.

Also bonus points if its a roguelike :p

Any help would be muchly appreciated
Have you played The Banner Saga?

Pachimari

Have anyone in here actually completed a RPG on their phones? I'm asking because I'm contemplating going through Dragon Quest IV, V, VI and The World Ends With You on my iPhone 6.

Have anyone in here actually completed a RPG on their phones? I'm asking because I'm contemplating going through Dragon Quest IV, V, VI and The World Ends With You on my iPhone 6.
Depends on the game.

Stuff like Banner Saga and Grimlock, I'm not playing that on a phone

Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls (more roguelike than RPG), etc., I'm okay playing on a phone

Reminds me that I never beat Wayward Souls, cleared the first 2 stages but could never even get to the third stage boss.
Speak of the devil...

Wayward Souls is getting a big update soon
The Wayward Souls update will add a new pet system where a whopping 29 different pets can be found during play and will stick with you until you die or exit a dungeon. Some pets will offer various stat buffs, like increasing your chances for a critical hit or doubling the coins you find, and others will help you directly in combat by attacking the enemies you encounter.
---
While the pets are the major new playable feature, Rocketcat is also using them as a way to test a new smoother animation system, and going forward they'll be revamping all the enemy animations in the game. Also, alongside the long-awaited PC version of Wayward Souls the iOS version will receive an update with a new playable character, the Paladin.

I did Four Job Fiesta on my phone. Grimrock and TWEWY are decently playable on a 6+, but a regular 6 might be a bit too cramped.

I went through the entirety of TWEWY on my phone. Although it was my 2nd run through the game so I already had the core concepts nailed down before I started.

Matt Frost

Anyone here still play 99 Bricks? I forgot how addictive it was

Last time I checked it didnt work properly (probably was on iOS beta), will give it a try again, used to love it. Physics are a bit wonky but fun as hell. A must have.

The Wayward Souls update will add a new pet system where a whopping 29 different pets can be found during play and will stick with you until you die or exit a dungeon. Some pets will offer various stat buffs, like increasing your chances for a critical hit or doubling the coins you find, and others will help you directly in combat by attacking the enemies you encounter.
---
While the pets are the major new playable feature, Rocketcat is also using them as a way to test a new smoother animation system, and going forward they'll be revamping all the enemy animations in the game. Also, alongside the long-awaited PC version of Wayward Souls the iOS version will receive an update with a new playable character, the Paladin.

Already the best roguelike hands down on iOS, and with that will be one of the best around all platforms. Will be a joy to play again.

gappvembe

This might not be the right place to ask this, but does anyone know of an app, that I can track my game purchases on (consoles) and maybe what games I beat on a given date.

This might not be the right place to ask this, but does anyone know of an app, that I can track my game purchases on (consoles) and maybe what games I beat on a given date.
VG Tracker
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vg-tracker/id961751259?mt=8

Works with physical and digital, retro and current platforms, has artwork, search that works, and a simple user interface.
Tracks progress ("not started", "started", "finished") but there's no date attached to that.

Developer seems responsive so they could be open to adding add that feature?
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2x52iz/video_game_tracker_app_for_ios/

Top Bottom