• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPods, USB cards, external HDDs, and a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I have a Dell Inspiron 2650, which came standard with 2 stunningly slow USB1.1 ports and an insufficient 20gb hdd. Now, I've been adding to my old iPod through this slow as fuck USB1.1 and it wasn't too bad, because it's been in installments. However, now that I find myself with a new and empty iPod, the thought of filling it with 37 or so gigs of music, in blocks of 5 or 6 gigs, isn't very appealing.

To that end, I'm looking to "upgrade" my laptop with a PCMCIA card that adds USB2.0/Firewire ports to my system. Also, I'd like to get a USB2./Firewire compatible external HDD, of at least 60 GB, 80 or 100 if I can swing it, financially. I'm asking for help. I'd like to know if this is even possible, on my laptop. See, I don't know if I should have power concerns... the new Ipods charge through the USB, and obviously the hdd would be powered through the USB also... Can I plug in a HDD to the USB side, and the iPod through the Firewire side (which also allows charging, iirc) without exploding my laptop? Can you even CONNECT two external units, like this, and transfer data from one (the external hdd) to the other (the iPod)? Obviously, I'm planning on using the external drive as a media library from which I could easily restore my iPod to full capacity in record time, and without constantly copying music from my backup CDs to my internal hdd... which takes forever also. (It's that and the USB1.1 which is killing me. I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone.)

Please recommend me a card or two, and a hdd or two, assuming what I propose above is even possible. Thanks in advance.

Scoobert

You can get Firewire 800 and USB2 ports on the same PCMCIA card.

Might I suggest steering away from external hard drives? Best thing to do is buy a regular hard drive that you like, then buy yourself a 3.5" enclusure kit. What you do it you put your hard drive inside the kit, plug in the usb/firewall to your laptop, and plug the external powersource to an outlet.

I like using enclosure kits because it ends up being much cheaper than buying an external hard drive. You just go out and buy internal hard drives for it, can't be any easier.

Mejilan

You're saying to get that 30 or so dollar enclosure kit and then a REGULAR internal hdd? Store the internal hdd in that enclosure kit, which can then connect to the proposed USB PCMCIA card? If this makes for a cheaper solution, why do external cards even exist?

I won't have a problem powering an internal hdd through the USB?

Scoobert

They exist because people don't know any better. Did you know any better? Thats why external hard drives exist.

The enclosure kits come with their own power supply, you'll just need an outlet to plug it into. In other words, you won't have any power problems.

Mejilan

Thank you for all your help folks. I found a highly recommended 30 dollar enclosure here with an excellent rating spanning about 150 votes and reviews. Now, is there any kind of hdd I should be looking for? Internal, obviously, but, should it or should it note be IDE? Or some other type?

Mejilan

Can anyone suggest a solid USB/Firewire PCMCIA card? I'm not sure where to start. Someone recommended an Adaptec Duo Connect model, but it seems to be discontinued where ever I look...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom