• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iraqi forces using divining rods to find bombs (SMH)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Furcas said:
They could say the exact same thing about you! In their experience, dowsing rods work. Who are you to dictate what people should believe?

I don't think this is a joke post and I think you are retarded.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
The Iraqi security force should start a program using men to stare at a goat and try to kill it.

This thread also reminds me of something that I just read. I'm definitely going off topic, but has anyone read In The President's Secret Service by Ronald Kesslar? You know what I am talking about when I say "psychic vision." I still laugh thinking about that story.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Good news, everyone!

LONDON — Police arrested a businessman who sold bomb detecting equipment to Iraq on suspicion of fraud, as ministers banned the export of the devices amid concerns they do not work.

The director of British-based company ATSC, Jim McCormick, 53, was arrested on suspicion of fraud by misrepresentation and bailed pending further investigation, police said.

At the same time, the government announced it will ban the export of the ADE651, an ATSC product marketed as a bomb detector and reportedly bought in large numbers by the Iraqi military to use at security checkpoints.

"Tests have shown that the technology used in the ADE651 and similar devices is not suitable for bomb detection," the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said in a statement.

"As soon as it was brought to the attention of the Export Control Organisation and (business secretary) Lord (Peter) Mandelson we acted urgently to put in place export restrictions which will come into force next week," it added.

Unfortunately he has made well over $80 million selling his BS in Iraq, Afghanistan and god knows how many other fucked up nations.

Edit: Son of a...

Mr McCormick told The Times that his device was being criticised because of its crude appearance.

He added: “We have been dealing with doubters for ten years. One of the problems we have is that the machine does look a little primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights.”
Don't forget to add some pew-pew sounds, you cunt.

Binabik15

Typical.

Western imperialists imposing their view of what to use what not on oppressed countries, taking away their only change to defend themselves. Every bomb blowing up from now on ANYWHERE will be Britains fault. It´s a conspiracy to keep the Muslims of the world down.

lulz

MaddenNFL64

Mr McCormick told The Times that his device was being criticised because of its crude appearance.

He added: “We have been dealing with doubters for ten years. One of the problems we have is that the machine does look a little primitive. We are working on a new model that has flashing lights.”

Damn. He must have been laughing right after saying this shit.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Funky Papa said:
Good news, everyone!

Unfortunately he has made well over $80 million selling his BS in Iraq, Afghanistan and god knows how many other fucked up nations.

Edit: Son of a...

Don't forget to add some pew-pew sounds, you cunt.

I saw this on BBC's Newsnight last night.

The device did nothing. And I mean nothing.

They went to the Cambridge computer department and got some guy to look at it. The guy who sold them said it only works when you put a card in it that 'detects a frequency' but when the guy from Cambridge cut the card up, inside was just a piece of aluminum that only looked like a circuit. It didn't do jack shit.

It's the same tech that sets off those things at the store by the door if you try to shoplift.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8471187.stm

(the video may only work in the UK)

2cy1yu.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
80 million dollars ey?

Maybe I should profit on this tiger-repelling rock of mine.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Corky said:
80 million dollars ey?

Maybe I should profit on this tiger-repelling rock of mine.

Africans wont know the difference. Just put some mystical looking symbol on it and charge them a prenium

i still can't believe this... i always think people are just as smart as us, anywhere in the world.. but i'm always proven horribly wrong

i remember a news story where a man was taken hostage somewhere in the east... wasn't sure if it was like iraq or somalia or something

but he was taken because he was an actor in a show.. i think it was like a "CSI" type show and he played a guy who was spying on the terrorists... and the guys who kidnapped him thought he was ACTUALLY a spy working against the terrorists because of this show... like they were gonna kill him and asked for ransom to bring back their american spy

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
dustytruly said:
i still can't believe this... i always think people are just as smart as us, anywhere in the world.. but i'm always proven horribly wrong

i remember a news story where a man was taken hostage somewhere in the east... wasn't sure if it was like iraq or somalia or something

but he was taken because he was an actor in a show.. i think it was like a "CSI" type show and he played a guy who was spying on the terrorists... and the guys who kidnapped him thought he was ACTUALLY a spy working against the terrorists because of this show... like they were gonna kill him and asked for ransom to bring back their american spy

Proof that if you keep going around, it's still east!

Furcas said:
They could say the exact same thing about you! In their experience, dowsing rods work. Who are you to dictate what people should believe?
Wait, the Iraqi government buys hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of a device that's supposed to protect people but doesn't do shit, and you're not allowed to point out the stupidity because of "beliefs"?

ILikeFeet

Banned
Souldriver said:
Wait, the Iraqi government buys hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of a device that's supposed to protect people but doesn't do shit, and you're not allowed to point out the stupidity because of "beliefs"?

I think he means the fact that the Iraqi government believes this devce works

Xeke

Banned
JosM88 said:
I can't say that I know the specifics of Japan-US relations post WWII, but can't the US take a similar approach in rebuilding Iraq?

It seems like they really need more attention. :/

There wasn't any real sort of guerrilla effort in Japan. We completely broke Japan before we fixed it.

Enosh

Zenith said:
How would the Libertarian idea of the free market have stopped this guy?
same way that he could have been stoped before selling all of this

people would actualy do testing of the things they are about to buy for some 80 millions

I have never heard of a military that is going to buy stuff in large numbers but doesn't actualy test it if it is working properly

unless there was some corruption bullshit involved in all of this on the Iraqi side that let the device pass

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy freak, but is it possible that he bribed some higher up officials in the Iraqi government to have this stuff bought? I mean who in their right mind would buy a device as stupid as this (in massive bulks at that), and the Iraqi government is supposedly meant to be very corrupt so it can't be that outlandish.

Zenith

Banned
Enosh said:
same way that he could have been stoped before selling all of this

people would actualy do testing of the things they are about to buy for some 80 millions

I have never heard of a military that is going to buy stuff in large numbers but doesn't actualy test it if it is working properly

unless there was some corruption bullshit involved in all of this on the Iraqi side that let the device pass

but they didn't test it. and corruption occurs all the time. So if it weren't for government intervention he would have got off scott-free.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Furcas said:

please tell me you're fucking joking...

[edit: I guess you were joking :lol sometimes the sarcasm here is so discreet it's impossible to detect]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom