• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IRS / Wondering what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanna be prepared for when I call them- I just opened my tax refund and they seemed to have made a typo- it was for $3.00 rather than the $300 it was supposed to be.

Just wondering what to expect out of the call, what questions I'll be asked, etc., so I can be prepared.

The main problem is that I don't know the first thing about taxes and whatnot, and my dad filled out my tax return this year, so even a basic question would probably throw me for a loop.

FnordChan

Mister Zimbu said:
Just wanna be prepared for when I call them- I just opened my tax refund and they seemed to have made a typo- it was for $3.00 rather than the $300 it was supposed to be.

Just wondering what to expect out of the call, what questions I'll be asked, etc., so I can be prepared.

The main problem is that I don't know the first thing about taxes and whatnot, and my dad filled out my tax return this year, so even a basic question would probably throw me for a loop.

I'd talk to your dad first and make sure you know what he did. That said, the few occasions I've had to deal with the IRS they've always been perfectly polite and reasonably helpful. Impersonal and buearacratic, sure, but not unreasonable. They're not likely to set phasers to audit just for calling them up and asking what happened. Just make sure you know how everyting was filed before jumping on the phone.

FnordChan

FnordChan

Lil' Dice said:
I prefer dealing with them through the mail.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you'll be spending a lot of time on hold...

FnordChan, who wants you to know that your post is important to him. Please stay on the forum while your post is routed to the nearest mod.

Doth Togo

Yea, my refund was shocking. I paid $1,200 in taxes thinking I owed an assload. Yet, last week, I received a m3g4t0n refund for $500. Seems that I miscalculated. It made my day.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fortunately, there has never been a better time in recent history to get away with stuff on your taxes. Ever since 1998 the IRS enforcement has been relatively gimped, and in 2003 the audit rate was 1 in 150 people.

Lil' Dice

Banned
I got an audit letter last December for $3000 during my 2001 filings, i lost most of my documentation when i moved last year and submitted all i could find, it's June 16th and they still haven't written back about how to resolve my debt. I'm just gonna have them take it out of next's year's return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom