• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 8gb of vram enough in 2024

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
You need at least 1 gigatera.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Incredibly subjective question. The thing is- you don’t need to turn everything on ultra. Often it’s a very costly thing to do in terms of performance, with negligible improvement in terms of what you see.

It’s nice that I had the money to play Cyberpunk with full path tracing and shit, but my buddy played it like 3 times through on PS5 and bought a giant poster to hang in his house and is considering another tattoo, themed on the game. I think it’s fair to say that despite my rig’s extra teraflops and gigabytes, he had a lot of fun with that game

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
you don't really need more than 640K, to be honest.

Remember what Bill Gates said:

wTpHxaAjBm-xRIwFC-K9wMc6Du9YcY3MYsRVhCITXK8.png

FateTrap

gctNtrU.png

Here you can see that even if I open an image viewer and a terminal, my VRAM usage is only 138 MB.
If I close the image viewer then the VRAM usage lowers to 135 MB. These seem like pretty good values for the Radeon RX 7600.

If I open a 3D shooter with outdated but decent graphics then I see 4xx MB of VRAM.
So I can play a fun 3D shooter with less than half of the typical windows10/11 users VRAM usage.

The most popular GPUs according to the steam hardware survey:
#1 RTX 3060 (has 8GB models)
#2 GTX 1650 (4GB VRAM)
#3 RTX 3060 Ti (has 8GB models)
#4 RTX 3070 (has 8GB models)
#5 RTX 4060 (has 8GB models)
#6 RTX 2060 (has 6GB models)
#7 RTX 4060 Laptop GPU
#8 GTX 1060 (has 6GB and 3GB models)
#9 RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

For 1080p gaming, 8GB is usually going to be enough for several more years.
Game developers can't even sell their game to the largest group of gamers otherwise.

Even 1080p gaming on 4GB VRAM GPUs still goes reasonably well if you are willing to tweak some settings or skip some games.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/

Gates himself has strenuously denied making the comment. In a newspaper column that he wrote in the mid-1990s, Gates responded to a student’s question about the quote: “I’ve said some stupid things and some wrong things, but not that. No one involved in computers would ever say that a certain amount of memory is enough for all time.” Later in the column, he added, “I keep bumping into that silly quotation attributed to me that says 640K of memory is enough. There’s never a citation; the quotation just floats like a rumor, repeated again and again.”
“Do you realize the pain the industry went through while the IBM PC was limited to 640K? The machine was going to be 512K at one point, and we kept pushing it up,” he told the magazine. “I never said that statement — I said the opposite of that.”

jason10mm

Gold Member

Goddamn those were the days. Nothing EVER worked without tweaking, had to constantly futz with autoexec.bat and config.sys to get shit going, modems were slow as hell and you had to enforce RIGID telephone discipline on the rest of the family if you wanted a clean window to download something, and RADIO SHACK was our mecca along with Electronics Boutique.

Top Bottom