• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is EA trying to pull a bait-and-switch with Veilguard on Steam?

Cyberpunkd

I'm asking because the game as of today does not mention EA App being required:

I find that highly improbable. I went ahead and checked all other major games EA has on Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/EA - and from all of them ONLY Tales of Kenzera: ZAU doesn't have the EA App to play. I don't think EA will forgo all the data mining that they can get from the game such as the new Dragon Age, so I have a sneaky suspicion it will be added as close to launch as possible.

For those that do not know unlike the Ubisoft app or the Battle.net one (which are annoying but mostly just that) the EA App is a POS, routinely breaking the game from being played on Steam (and Steamdeck) anytime the app is updated (which happens often for no reason at all). I had my eyes on ME: Legendary Edition but I never pulled the trigger even at 9€ because of all the horror stories people write regarding the game on Steam and the EA App.

RCX

Yep I don't even chance it with EA. That app is the absolute worst and their general behavior says you're right to be suspicious abut Dragon Age.

Luipadre

I find that highly improbable. I went ahead and checked all other major games EA has on Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/EA - and from all of them ONLY Tales of Kenzera: ZAU doesn't have the EA App to play. I don't think EA will forgo all the data mining that they can get from the game such as the new Dragon Age, so I have a sneaky suspicion it will be added as close to launch as possible.

For those that do not know unlike the Ubisoft app or the Battle.net one (which are annoying but mostly just that) the EA App is a POS, routinely breaking the game from being played on Steam (and Steamdeck) anytime the app is updated (which happens often for no reason at all). I had my eyes on ME: Legendary Edition but I never pulled the trigger even at 9€ because of all the horror stories people write regarding the game on Steam and the EA App.

They said you dont need the app multiple times. Its a native steam app, steam deck verified too

lmimmfn

ME: Legendary Edition is a POS on the steamdeck, i played through ME1 and was looking forward to start ME2 but wont launch as EA App updated when i launched ME2

T-Cake

They didn't require it for the Dead Space remake either. Hopefully this is the end of the EA app (and the Ubisoft Connect one as well if rumours are true)

Sentenza

The app is such a piece of shit. It even uninstalls itself sometimes. Seriously, look it up, it really does.
The hilarious part to me is that they decided to swap from Origin (which already wasn't all that great) to EA App (which is significantly worse in most areas) and they never bothered to update some of their older library, so some of their older games on PC still attempt to install/use Origin, except that doesn't work anymore.

EDIT- For the sake of accuracy, I should probably say "They didn't bother updating them the last time I checked". I'm not sure of what's the current situation.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

Maybe they plan to mention this later before release or something.

Did you plan to buy it on Steam?

Sentenza

Maybe they plan to mention this later before release or something.
Given that they openly stated otherwise (they made a twitter post explicitly confirming that the Steam version won't use any EA App integration) that would be some serious "fuck you" to their user base and a deliberate attempt to mislead them.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Given that they openly stated otherwise (they made a twitter post explicitly confirming that the Steam version won't use any EA App integration) that would be some serious "fuck you" to their user base and a deliberate attempt to mislead them.
True, I didn't know that.

Its not a day 1 for me as this year is packed, even with AC Shadows and KCD2 delayed its still pretty packed, I might buy it next year during a Steam sale seeing how it doesn't require their app.

I"ve never known EA to lie about such things, so I think its likely won't use that EA App like you stated. (i'm not really on Twitter so I don't know these things lol)

Sentenza

True, I didn't know that.

Its not a day 1 for me
It's not a day 1 for me either, because I think the game looks like complete trash so far, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't gladly welcome a timeline where EA finally says "Alright, enough is enough, we'll stop pushing our shitty client on your people from now on".
So I hope this is just the beginning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom