• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Enter the Matrix Greatest Hits different from the original?

steve

Banned
I'm currently trying to get a grasp on the whole "training mode" that I opened up via the hacking menu. Unfortunately, I can only find one door that is accesible in the hallway, and it leads into a shooting range with a button on the wall.

I press the button, and Sparks says that I am trapped and need to fight my way out. Problem is, there is an invisible wall right in front of the two tables, so I cannot go out to fight the oncoming 2 SWAT members. And when they reach the invisible line, they disappear and the room resets back to me being able to walk around again.

The invisible barrier also extends back, blocking me from grabbing any of the weapons to shoot the SWAT from long range.

Any ideas?

I'm starting to think that my original copy of EtM has a flawed training mode, with newer copies having the complete version. Or am I just insane...

steve

Banned
I'm well aware of the problems with the game, but I've played through many times and have learned to live with its issues. I'm just asking if someone knows whether or not the problem I'm having is a glitch-related issue, or something I'm simply doing wrong.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
LakeEarth did provide you with a real response. There are so many bugs in EtM that affect playability, AI and whatnot that your description doesn't surprise me at all. You may have to go to an earlier save and start over.

Dead

well not really...yet
Never had any bugs affect gameplay when I had the game. But yeah thats most likely the issue

steve

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't referring to his response.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone here has actually played through the Training Construct and can tell me first hand whether or not I have a bad sector of code. If that's the case, I'm certain Atari would be glad to exchange my copy for a new GH edition.

And for those wondering why I care... I think this game is very, very fun. It's one of the few that I can play repeatedly after a few months away from it, and still enjoy myself as much as I did when I first started.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
steve said:
Yeah, I wasn't referring to his response.

I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone here has actually played through the Training Construct and can tell me first hand whether or not I have a bad sector of code. If that's the case, I'm certain Atari would be glad to exchange my copy for a new GH edition.

And for those wondering why I care... I think this game is very, very fun. It's one of the few that I can play repeatedly after a few months away from it, and still enjoy myself as much as I did when I first started.
Check his IP!!!

steve

Banned
Why... because I enjoy a game that the masses dislike? Wake up bud, not everyone has similar tastes.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
steve said:
Why... because I enjoy a game that the masses dislike? Wake up bud, not everyone has similar tastes.

First off, you enjoy a game that the masses like. 2.3 million sold and counting. Second, grow a pair. I'm just ribbing you about you liking an Atari game in these Driv3r times.

steve

Banned
That's cool, but 2.5 million people may have bought the game, but that certainly doesn't account for how many copies were returned. I've been preaching the game's goodness since it's initial release, and have encountered nothing but people saying how bad the game is. Yet these same people love titles like Dead to Rights and Max Payne, both of which I believe to be lesser titles to EtM. But to each his own I always say, I'm just glad Atari is smart enough to know they have a solid foundation to build upon, and with a proper development schedule that isn't compromised to accomodate summer movie release dates, Enter the Matrix 2 should be pretty darn fun.

neptunes

etm_wheels.jpg

steve

Banned
Oh silly me... I forgot the roundness of vehicle tires in a cutscene dictate how enjoyable a game is to play. No one will ever argue that the game is polished, it isn't. But the combat system is a blast and the story is fun for fans of the series like myself. :)

steve

Banned
And btw, that shot is not indicative of how the game looks on a PS2. Maybe that's a capture from a PC running it on an extremely low setting? On PS2, the tires look more like... octagons. :p

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously mods, just ban this guy now. Eight posts he made so far are like a carbon copy of those posts we were laughing at just the other day.

HAOHMARU

You guys have to look deeper into ETM. Think about how the bugs in the game are actually just like the Matrix itself. Remember all the glitches in the movie? When you see cars with square wheels driving or you drop through the floor into a black hole of nothingness or you see the AI non-playable characters do something that doesn't make sense, just remember...THIS IS THE MATRIX! Weird shit is supposed to happen...which is what I think Atari was gunning for. In fact, I think this game was left buggy on purpose. If you guys could think on a higher level you would realize how awesome this game really is.

ETM should have been the GOTY....2.5 million copies is just the icing on the cake.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I played through ETM on the Xbox using the god mode cheat code just to watch the movie scenes. The game wasn't that fun even on god mode.

bogg

lol
I love this forum. A guy comes in and asks for help in a game that's shitty but he likes, and everybody makes fun of him and the game. Classic :)

steve

Banned
Precisely why I don't post usually post here. Figured it would be worth a shot today though, with so much traffic I figured I was bound to get a decent response from someone.

And with regards to that God Mode comment, name me any game that would be fun if you use a cheat to take all the fun right out of it.

This isn't GameFAQs.

You're either missing something or its a bug. Whatever the problem, it's not a 'bad sector', so unless an ETM fan like yourself wants to go and buy the GH version and see for themselves if there are any fixes, your wasting your time here.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>No difference. They both suck equally.<<<

Wrong. The Xbox version sucks... in HIGH-DEFINITION. :p

aoi tsuki

The only thing i remember about that training mode was that there was no point to it. i don't remember much but i remember shooting and maybe kicking the four or five targets on the wall, and think there were some other breakable objects. But that was it. i remember playing it a dozen times tryting to see if i was just missing a door or something.

i've ranted enough about ETM shortcomings on the old forum. With more time for bug testing, it could've been a decent game. The one thing it did right was the excellent sound and use of a movie soundtrack. The combat was too loose and context sensitive to be reliable. i really would've liked a training mode specifically for that. Or maybe there was and it was just stuck behind that invisible wall.

ChrisReid

I can only think of two greatest hits games that were changed from the originals.. Blinx for XBox was made easier in parts and Silent Hill 2 for PS2 got the XBox scenario added in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I can only think of two greatest hits games that were changed from the originals..<<<

Wasn't Twisted Metal Black GH online? And VF4: Evolution sorta fits too, even though there was also a GH version of the original.

Bog

Junior Ace
I can almost see where this guy's coming from. He likes the Matrix movies, so he'll play through the shitty Matrix game. I love Star Wars and played through Obi Wan for Xdude.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ouch, I owe an apology to Steve. No, he's not a PR bot, but rather a guy I know from other forums, and who's OK and all (although, man, his posts in this thread sounded fishy :p )

Agent X

ChrisReid said:
I can only think of two greatest hits games that were changed from the originals.. Blinx for XBox was made easier in parts and Silent Hill 2 for PS2 got the XBox scenario added in.

There were several games for the original PlayStation that were altered when they became Greatest Hits, including Soviet Strike, Jet Moto 2, and The Lost World.

In Europe, they made some changes to Enter the Matrix for the PlayStation 2 and PC after several months on the market, but I don't know if they did the same for the North American market. Perhaps that's what the original poster was asking about.

I just borrowed the game from a friend of mine, played it for like 5hrs I think and I'm really liking it. There are moments of awful gameplay design but most of the game seems to be incredibly fun, I love the feeling of being able to imitate the Matrix lobby scene etc... Great fun intuitive gameplay.

Top Bottom