• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it me..?(Half Life AI related)

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
or is HLs AI still unbeaten? I dont remember having such fierce and smart firefights with enemys ever since then,the only thing that came close is Far Cry,but you couldnt really tell since it was mostly open enviropement.
I mean they were hiding,throwing grenades and most important they were working together, trying to surround you or to smoke you out.
The first encounter with marines was one the best moments in gaming ever,i remember how i was shocked when they behaved like real humans,got under cover,especialy in contrast to dumb Aliens i was fighting before.

I almost feel like replaying the orignal HL :)

I wish they would remake it with Source,maybe i should pick up PS2 version....

B'z-chan

Banned
Get steam its free to play on steam. Lots of fun and still great to play around with from time to time. I played through the ps2 version at first then got it on pc and loved it there too. Worth the 10 bucks for it on ps2 though but still framerate problems.

There is talk that HL may get remade on source.

The AI is wonderful, i think its been surpassed but not by much (COD etc) but fighting marines is still a big pain in the arse since they have a brain and wont let u stand there and kill them :p

B'z-chan

Banned
neptunes said:
you're pc may be able to handle source.

counter strike beta next week :D

Just tell me are they gonna have a free demo of CS source i own the original CS for pc so i dont like getting screwed just cause i dont have CS:CZ i've supported Valve for a long time, i want to play too.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fleming said:
or is HLs AI still unbeaten?
Legendary, sucka.

HL AI was very impressive when it came out, but now the scripting is so evident it hurts. Plus marines really like to kill themselves playing with grenades.

B'z-chan said:
Just tell me are they gonna have a free demo of CS source i own the original CS for pc so i dont like getting screwed just cause i dont have CS:CZ i've supported Valve for a long time, i want to play too.

Well at least there's a period at the end. Oh, and a comma. Thanks for playing run-on sentence feat. B'z-chan!

B'z-chan

Banned
keeblerdrow said:
Well at least there's a period at the end. Oh, and a comma. Thanks for playing run-on sentence feat. B'z-chan!

Dude!

Sorry, Keeblerdrow

I was doing this little thing they call: WORK dont have much time to switch between work and play while the boss is looking over my shoulder you know what i mean so i type fast

None the less i hope CS source turns out well this week.

epmode

half-life is being remade in source (i assume it'll be available with the collector's edition,) but valve has said that none of the textures/models are being updated. the physics will, of course, be different, but nothing else has been confirmed.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The marines were impressive, most of the time anyway, they did like to blow themselves up with grenades from time to time, the marines in HL are what made me realise how FPS' should be, not just effortless killing of dumbass creatures, but actual firefights with enemies who have at least some idea of what the need to do to survive.

It has been surpassed, Halos AI is great, for everything thats not the flood of course, best thing about Halos AI is that it actually scales up; as you fight higher ranked grunts/elites, they get smarter. So when you enter a room and you see 2 spec ops Elites (black armour) dart for cover you know you have a proper fight on your hands. I hear Far Cry is pretty intelligent too but i havent played it so i cant comment.

Cant believe someone mentioned CODs 'AI' Other than where the enemies aim there doesnt seem to be any AI invovled at all, its totally scripted, its very convincing as long as you do what the developers expected you do. As soon as you make a 'mistake' you see theres no actual intelligence at all.

Bregor

I have never been impressed by good AI in a game - not Half Life, Halo, or Far Cry. It never takes long to figure out how to abuse their behavior to get them to do what you want.

epmode said:
half-life is being remade in source (i assume it'll be available with the collector's edition,) but valve has said that none of the textures/models are being updated. the physics will, of course, be different, but nothing else has been confirmed.

What the Hell is the point then? I'd rather play the real deal, than suffer through playing what could have been freaking bad ass, but instead looks like shit.

Bregor

Error Macro said:
What the Hell is the point then? I'd rather play the real deal, than suffer through playing what could have been freaking bad ass, but instead looks like shit.

Don't worry, many of the classic HL1 enemies also appear in HL2. It should be trivial for modders to import them into the Source version of HL1. Somebody will probably also upgrade the textures as well. The main point is that the basic job of getting HL1 running on the Source engine is done.

epmode

Error Macro said:
time constraints. at least mod makers will be able to pick up the slack.

valve is in the middle of porting all of the officially supported half-life mods to source. this includes half-life, half-life deathmatch, opposing force, team fortress, counterstrike, day of defeat, deatchmatch classic, riccochet and (probably) codename gordon. blue shift will eventually be ported, too. my guess is that they're planning to phase out the original versions, but nothing has been said to that effect.

Yeah, I was hoping that would be the case. But, why doesn't Valve just do it themselves? I'm sure they could get a couple of texture artists to upgrade everything, and then maybe a modeler to step in a finish up what's left. It would be another product for them to sell individually. I know they love to make more money. Then again, I have so many questions for Valve that may never get answered. Team Fortress 2, anyone?

epmode

according to people that have recently visited valve studios, team fortress 2 is actually in development right now. this isn't saying much, considering that it's several years late, but it's something.

SKluck

Banned
epmode said:
according to people that have recently visited valve studios, team fortress 2 is actually in development right now. this isn't saying much, considering that it's several years late, but it's something.

Just like DNF is "in development" too, right?

Top Bottom