• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it ok to drop a game you can’t get into?

Off the top of my head, I did this with GoW Ragnarok, Days gone, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 2 & 3, Ghost of Tsushima, Soul hackers 2. All bought digitally at full price.
Soul Hackers 2 I dropped in like the first few hours, never went back. The others I have tried to go back to and have quit them again every time.

I should have also quit Horizon Zero Dawn, I was desperately trying to like the game the whole time, I was hoping it would get better with new skills, etc. but I ended up forcing myself to finish it. Terrible feeling, wasted my money and time.

At it's core, video games are a form of entertainment. If you're not entertained, why are you doing it? So, no, it's not a bad thing to drop a game if you're not having a good time.

Examples of games, I've dropped this generation:

Nioh 2 - I felt like it got to Nioh 1's DLC levels of difficulty in like three hours and I hated how hard Nioh 1's DLC was. Dropped it after like 6 missions.

Doom Eternal - I hated the changes to the gameplay. It was basically an entirely different genre from prior Doom games. Doom 2016 was a fun 90s throwback. Eternal was a first person character action game. Dropped it about halfway through the campaign.

Armored Core 6 - I got tired of the constant tinkering in the garage to find optimal builds for each boss. I swear I spent more time there, than in game. Dropped it 75% of the way through the campaign.

Last edited:

Sooner

fuwstnS.gif

StereoVsn

If playing a game feels like work, that shit gets dropped fast. I don’t care about how much I paid for it, my time is worth more.

I will give myself a few hours to get into the game. Maybe watch some YouTube videos if I think I am not getting what’s going on, etc, but the game will get dropped if “unfun” continues.

Note that this doesn’t apply 100% to strategy (4x, Grand Strategy, etc) games because learning curve on those is sometimes like a cliff, and you need to get over that before games become really fun.

StereoVsn

Go to rehab. It's for quitters
Hmm… I now have a business idea! Time to put together a pitch deck!

As long as I put in AI in there that is. So AI Rehab for Video Game quitters. “We will make you 100% all games, guaranteed!”

OP, I will make sure you will be DM’d as soon as it’s up and running. Only a small chip implant will be required! (For electroshock therapy).

Last edited:

SHA

If you live on paycheck then yeah, I don't see a problem, if money works for you then you got plenty of time and you should use it to get better at games, it's doable this way cause the rewards are immeasurable, I know you said it this way cause it's something worthy.

TrebleShot

Yeah it's just not worth it tbh becomes more annoying to finish games your not enjoying and becomes a chore.

Done this with

Elden Ring twice
Returnal
Valhalla twice
Doom Eternal
Callisto Protocol
Black Myth
Dredge
Still wakes the deep

Roberts

I rarely DNF movies. even stuff I dislike, but then they are usually around two hours long.

Games? It is totally OK. After playing Days Gone and Tsushima for ~10 hours and not finding them to be in any way interesting and memorable, I just quit. It felt weird to do that at first, after all, I just paid money for them, but later you understand that it is more fun to spend your time on stuff you actually enjoy.

Last edited:
Try next time to see if there's a trial or demo before buying, i want to get Wukong but hate souls formula.. will have to wait for a demo or very deep discount.

Last edited:
I used to HOARD games, like really, my PS account has around 120 games that maybe I've finished 30 or sth.
And I switched over to PC, that didn't help at all with the sales and everything. I decided I'm just gonna abuse the refund policies, play a game with a timer for 100 mins, if I'm hooked. it's done, I'mma play this, if not, refund is the way.
Don't force yourself, you wanna have fun not be tortured

diffusionx

Gold Member
You need to submit a request to drop game application to the NeoGAF Steering Committee and get approved. That can take 4-6 weeks so you might as well just finish the game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
As long as you aren't doing the FOMO thing and paying full price for games you won't play. I'm not saying you should force yourself to play them. I would instead say skip day 1 purchases and get them when they're 70%+ off. Then you waste less money to find out whether it's a game you'll enjoy.

Trelane

I figured I've give an update. Here are the games that I'm dropping. If you can come up with a good reason why I should continue the game, by all means, go ahead and post. That being said, I did pick these up on sale, so I'll be adding the approximate price that I paid as well.

Mad Max - $4.99
This game had potential, but the terrible on-foot combat made me want to recycle and avoid making this game a reality.

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - $2.50
This was pretty horrible. I should have refused to even start it on principle.

Doom (2016) - ????
This isn't Doom. Pretty bold of them to design the game around the stupid Doom comic. Makes Doom 3 look like a masterpiece.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - $4.99ish
Ok, I can't use the sword to defend myself because it is a quest item? My guy is complaining that he's hungry and wants to sleep; I feel represented as a person, thanks....now into the trash you go.

Warhammer Chaosbane & 40K Martyr - Both under $5.00 combined
A great substitute for sleeping pills.

Darksiders - $4.99
If I wanted to play a terrible Zelda knockoff, I wouldn't.

Fallout 4 - $4.99
This isn't a game, it's an experiment to see how much trash gamers will put up with. Quite a lot, it seems.

Mordheim: City of the Damned - $3.00?
This one is my fault, I don't know why I bought it. Well, it is Warhammer, but I hate Strategy games, so this one actually might be good.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise - $5.99 or something
Probably the best game on this list. I thought the driving and the world and the story were all bad. Making people explode was fun. That came out wrong. So did that.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I buy more games and drop them in a year than even remotely complete them.

We are flooded with options and unfortunately most games lose steam within a few hours.

I drop anything I'm not having fun with and pretty quickly. There's enough actually good games to not bother with the bullshit. Also my time is way too limited to play something I'm not enjoying.

Doom Eternal was the last game I did this with. I don't know why it gets so much praise to me it was completely unfun the way you run out of ammo every 5 seconds. NOT fun to me.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
I definitely used to suffer from this sunk cost fallacy mentality of wanting to finish every game I started because "I already spent money on it" or "I already spent X hours playing it".

These days though my free time is way too limited to waste it on stuff I no longer enjoy

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
I used to force myself to play something even if I wasn’t enjoying it just to feel like I hadn’t wasted my money on it. Now I don’t hesitate to quit. Not just games but anything else…books, movies, tv shows, etc.

If I’m not enjoying it then I’m not gonna put myself through it. I’ll just move onto the next thing. Life is too short to waste time and there are too many games to play.

Yeah I’m definitely more selective what games I buy so I’m not spending as much money.

J
I figured I've give an update. Here are the games that I'm dropping. If you can come up with a good reason why I should continue the game, by all means, go ahead and post. That being said, I did pick these up on sale, so I'll be adding the approximate price that I paid as well.

Mad Max - $4.99
This game had potential, but the terrible on-foot combat made me want to recycle and avoid making this game a reality.

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell - $2.50
This was pretty horrible. I should have refused to even start it on principle.

Doom (2016) - ????
This isn't Doom. Pretty bold of them to design the game around the stupid Doom comic. Makes Doom 3 look like a masterpiece.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - $4.99ish
Ok, I can't use the sword to defend myself because it is a quest item? My guy is complaining that he's hungry and wants to sleep; I feel represented as a person, thanks....now into the trash you go.

Warhammer Chaosbane & 40K Martyr - Both under $5.00 combined
A great substitute for sleeping pills.

Darksiders - $4.99
If I wanted to play a terrible Zelda knockoff, I wouldn't.

Fallout 4 - $4.99
This isn't a game, it's an experiment to see how much trash gamers will put up with. Quite a lot, it seems.

Mordheim: City of the Damned - $3.00?
This one is my fault, I don't know why I bought it. Well, it is Warhammer, but I hate Strategy games, so this one actually might be good.

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise - $5.99 or something
Probably the best game on this list. I thought the driving and the world and the story were all bad. Making people explode was fun. That came out wrong. So did that.
Jesus, just drop them if you want to, or don't. Do you have to ask people online for every other decision in your life?

bbeach123

Sometime if you bang your head long enough it "may" became your favorite game series .
Work for me : total war / anno / monster hunter .

I only do this with long series though , fuck single(and short) game .

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I usually stick with it until i lose all the passion for gaming for about 6 months, and then repeat.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

My rule of thumb is this...
Do you want to play the game, but think you might drop it eventually?
Yes: Wait for very deep sale.
No: Punish yourself for paying full price and see it though.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Mad that some people actually want this to be the only future possible, where you don't like a purchase and you're completely stuck with it.

Trelane

J

Jesus, just drop them if you want to, or don't. Do you have to ask people online for every other decision in your life?

Actually, you make a very good point. Why limit it to just video games?

What would be your preferred choice of milk? Skim, 1%, or whole, that’s what I’ve narrowed it down to. Maybe I should just drink water instead. I’m kind of on the fence about it, to be honest. Have you had good results with plant based milk, like oat or almond?

Trilobit

I mostly only buy stuff I know I want and not just because it's on a sale. My time is valuable too so I won't spend it on a game I realize isn't for me even if I paid for it.

Top Bottom