• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to buy a used console from ebay?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I'm still looking for an Xbox on Ebay. I've found some very well priced ones but they have been used. The users that are selling them usually have 95% posative feedback out of 3000 comments. Would it be safe to buy from them?

Also, I found an Xbox with 2 games for $75 dollars but the seller has only sold five items before and has had posative feedback on all of them. Would it be safe to buy from him or not?

Shompola

Banned
I don't really know. I have shopped from people with little feedbacks and they have been awesome. And then tehre are those qith 3000 feedbacks with something like 99.8% positive ones but they were asses. You really never know.

I've sold consoles on ebay that have never had a single-hiccup their entire life. Some people on these boards have talked about buying a new console and listing their old defecto on ebay (Joking I hope). So you never know. Personally I'd look for someone with a good number of auctions (An individual, not a power seller because of the possible EB effect) and extremely positive feedback.

user237

Some of those people with 10000+ feedbacks are places like used CD/game stores that dump unwanted stuff on Ebay. Sometimes they don't know anything about what they are selling, so you have to be careful when reading the description.

People with feedbacks of 50 - 100 with no negatives can be the best sellers because they are often collectors who take care of their stuff. Take a look at the other item they have sold recently to figure out what kind of seller they are.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I've had better luck with buying consoles out of bins at random Japanese flea markets. Then again, the SFAM and Saturn are just sturdier than an Xbox....that's kinda sad...

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
user237 said:
Some of those people with 10000+ feedbacks are places like used CD/game stores that dump unwanted stuff on Ebay. Sometimes they don't know anything about what they are selling, so you have to be careful when reading the description.

People with feedbacks of 50 - 100 with no negatives can be the best sellers because they are often collectors who take care of their stuff. Take a look at the other item they have sold recently to figure out what kind of seller they are.
I found an Xbox for about $75 but he has had only 5 posative feedback (thats 100%) for him). he says he's selling it because he doesnt play games, do you think its reliable?

Tekky

If a guarantee is offered, you may be okay.

If it's AS-IS, then don't buy it unless you can afford to lose the money (or get it fixed).

Slo

I bought my Xbox off of eBay and it was a bad experience. One of the controllers didn't work and the Thompson drive was shot. The seller was decent about it and we split the cost of a new Thompson drive and I installed it myself.

Top Bottom