• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it true that ESRB reviewers don't actually play the games?

Tenkei

http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041015.gtgames2oct15/BNStory/AtPlay/

The article above discusses how Canadian retailers are planning to voluntarily restrict violent video game sales to children. I was going to dismiss this article until I read these lines:

The rating for each game is determined by a panel that could include psychologists, teenagers, parents and others representing a cross-section of society.

Panel members don't actually play the game — they review a printed synopsis and video footage of the game provided by the manufacturer.
If this is common knowledge, I apologise. Even though many of the ratings given to games would lead to this conclusion, it's kind of disconcerting to have it somewhat confirmed.

Bristow

Banned
Panel members don't actually play the game — they review a printed synopsis and video footage of the game provided by the manufacturer.

This is correct. I was watching a segment on G4 about this a few weeks ago.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
+1 sales

Anyways, it's common knowledge in the industry that the ESRB doesn't actually play the titles. The publisher has to supply a videotape with the most egregious acts of nastiness on it and a judgment is rendered accordingly. Of course - as mentioned in this month's OPM - a title like Silent Hill 4 that touches on themes of incest in dialogue, as opposed to explicit depiction of sexual themes, can have that overlooked.

Personally, I think the ESRB should have to watch a video of each game played from beginning to end to render a PROPER judgment, but then again I don't have to do it for a living. Either way, it's an imperfect system.

DCX

DCX
It's a trust system, can a dev "hold back" content, sure but i'm sure the penalty would be servere and that not to say that this hasn't happened either..

DCX

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yep, I can confirm this too. Video tapes (or in my case, a DVD-ROM with AVIs) of the most graphic stuff and storyline twists will do. In addition to that, you'll have to fill in a statement of various aspects (language, animals, suicides etc.). And that piece of paper, you better get that right.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Although true, it shouldn't be shocking news, or anything. The ESRB gets a far more accurate view of the content in a game through this system than if they were to actually play it. If they were required to play through games to render judgement, then if they missed some uber-violent section that was an easter egg or special endgame content then it would be THEIR fault. This system puts the responsibility solely on the publisher.

Ratings do matter and parents do look at them these days, but every publisher knows as soon as a game is concieved what rating it's going to get.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
GDJustin said:
Although true, it shouldn't be shocking news, or anything. The ESRB gets a far more accurate view of the content in a game through this system than if they were to actually play it. If they were required to play through games to render judgement, then if they missed some uber-violent section that was an easter egg or special endgame content then it would be THEIR fault. This system puts the responsibility solely on the publisher.

Ratings do matter and parents do look at them these days, but every publisher knows as soon as a game is concieved what rating it's going to get.

Exactly. The ESRB was formed so that the United States Government would not have to step in and regulate the gaming industry. Most developers/publishers know this, and they all do (and should) take responsibility for maintaining the integrity of the system by providing the content that they find to be suitable to determine the game's rating.

If the system fails, the government may step in. No one wants that, so the system is, for the most part, followed. Although I'm sure there are cases where the most extreme content is withheld to keep the ratings down. That, plus the fact that the panels are relatively small and "chosen" at random, can result in some cases where games get ratings that they shouldn't get (ie: Manhunt getting a Mature rating, not AO, and Smash Bros Melee getting a T rating, not an E rating (wtf) ).

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
bishoptl said:
+1 sales

Anyways, it's common knowledge in the industry that the ESRB doesn't actually play the titles. The publisher has to supply a videotape with the most egregious acts of nastiness on it and a judgment is rendered accordingly. Of course - as mentioned in this month's OPM - a title like Silent Hill 4 that touches on themes of incest in dialogue, as opposed to explicit depiction of sexual themes, can have that overlooked.

Personally, I think the ESRB should have to watch a video of each game played from beginning to end to render a PROPER judgment, but then again I don't have to do it for a living. Either way, it's an imperfect system.

How is it an imperfect system? They see all the questionable content and base their judgement on that. It's not like they are giving the game a percentile score. And nobody has time to sit through 40 hour RPG's with multiple endings or watch everything be unlocked in Mortal Kombat. Just show them the questionable material and move on.

bishoptl said:

In the near future, as (many) games start to explore and portray more complicated, dramatic, and potentially controversial elements, the necessity to submit full-runthroughs on video, in addition to selected clips, of games will become more of a reality. I can see the day when game designers and publishers alike will rip into the president of the ERSB on ratings disputes.

MightyHedgehog said:
I can see the day when game designers and publishers alike will rip into the president of the ERSB on ratings disputes.

Jason Rubin did a fair amount of ripping regarding the different ratings that Jak 2 and Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando got.

MarkMacD

Eggo said:
How is it an imperfect system? They see all the questionable content and base their judgement on that. It's not like they are giving the game a percentile score. And nobody has time to sit through 40 hour RPG's with multiple endings or watch everything be unlocked in Mortal Kombat. Just show them the questionable material and move on.

I think he means imperfect in that it trusts the publishers to supply the tape of the offensive content from their own games. They could potentially "miss" or "forget" certain scenes. (Dunno what penalties or checks are in place to discourage this)

Personally I would love to see some of these tapes :) Just violent act after violent act.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
This is completely true. All they've asked us is to send a video of all the violent, gory or sweary moments in our game. That's it.

pilonv1

I think he means imperfect in that it trusts the publishers to supply the tape of the offensive content from their own games. They could potentially "miss" or "forget" certain scenes. (Dunno what penalties or checks are in place to discourage this)

A good example is GTA3 in Australia, which was released with an MA15+ rating the first time round. Then about 2 months later some right wing group or parent found out you could have sex with prostitutes then kill them. The game was re-classified and banned. Vice City was delayed a few weeks due to Rockstar having to "remove" the ability to kill them aswell. Shellshock was delayed too due to the "raping" scenes being removed.

If some crazy irresponsible parent hadn't suddenly realised that little Billy is killing prostitutes after he's had sex with them, I don't think it would have been re-classified. So there's obviously plenty of scope for things to fly under the radar.

Buggy Loop

Chittagong said:
Yep, I can confirm this too. Video tapes (or in my case, a DVD-ROM with AVIs) of the most graphic stuff and storyline twists will do. In addition to that, you'll have to fill in a statement of various aspects (language, animals, suicides etc.). And that piece of paper, you better get that right.

Wow, i cant imagine how many pages there are for silent hill games :eek:

border

pilonv1 said:
The game was re-classified and banned. Vice City was delayed a few weeks due to Rockstar having to "remove" the ability to kill them aswell.
So wait....hookers are invincible after you have sex with them? :D

Troidal

Usually ESRB requires developers to submit an hours worth of video footage along with documentations of all texts in the game.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Tenkei said:
http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20041015.gtgames2oct15/BNStory/AtPlay/

The article above discusses how Canadian retailers are planning to voluntarily restrict violent video game sales to children. I was going to dismiss this article until I read these lines:

If this is common knowledge, I apologise. Even though many of the ratings given to games would lead to this conclusion, it's kind of disconcerting to have it somewhat confirmed.

You don't really expect them to play every game that comes out, do you? The manpower and logistics needed alone to get through every game and "review" it accordingly would require ungodly amounts of money and time.

Eggo said:
How is it an imperfect system?

Three words: Medal. Of. Honor. No way that should get a T rating with its realistic depiction of warfare. Just because they take out the red stuff it's "T"? Bullshit. You can be sure EA (and other game companies) use their influence to get a rating to their liking.

Brannon

He was rippin' and dippin' into them?

I'd have to rate that mature, and I haven't even read it yet[/pinkyfingermouth]

SKluck

Banned
I have never paid attention to game ratings. It has never affected me, I imagine only kids care about this shit because it directly affects them.

Thaedolus

Does anyone here actually look at ESRB ratings anymore? I mean, this mattered to me when I was 16 and I pissed that I had to have my older sister reserve RE:CV at Toys 'R Us for me, but these days I don't even bother looking.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
MarkMacD said:
I think he means imperfect in that it trusts the publishers to supply the tape of the offensive content from their own games. They could potentially "miss" or "forget" certain scenes. (Dunno what penalties or checks are in place to discourage this).
Correct. The fines/penalties for misleading the ESRB are quite severe, however - but I've heard of several instances where a "large" publisher was able to massage the ratings down thx to a wink, nudge, and casual reminder of their publishing power. Such is life. :)

bishoptl said:
Correct. The fines/penalties for misleading the ESRB are quite severe, however - but I've heard of several instances where a "large" publisher was able to massage the ratings down thx to a wink, nudge, and casual reminder of their publishing power. Such is life. :)

Just it:

EA pays the ESRB to have lower ratings.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Since we are talking about ESRB, there needs to be a rating between T and M

WarPig

MarkMacD said:

Personally I would love to see some of these tapes :) Just violent act after violent act.

Personally, I'd like to see the tape that somehow got DOA Volleyball an M.

As for the penalties, when I wrote a feature about the ESRB system earlier this year, I got an explanation from a publisher about that. Basically, they have to recall and relabel the game, which would be expensive as bugfuck for a major release.

DFS.

Top Bottom