• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Microsoft using 'Halo 2' to thwart Xbox hackers?

Trakball said:
Sounds good to me, anyone who is stupid enough to leave a modded XBox connected to the Internets deserves what they get. XBox +2 in the trakball household.

So you're just getting off on people getting booted from XBox, eh? Interesting. The people of GA really enjoy seeing other people suffer!
Sure it's fun to see the ones who don't pay for their games get booted, but the tech-savy kids who just mod for fun don't deserve it. I'm just defending Microsoft's actions from a business perspective. Also, I'd be pissed if modded Xbox users somehow found ways of cheating on Halo 2, thus ruining my non-modded XBL experience.
shuri said:
btw, Did you pay for windows?
OEM, bitch! (I'd never pay $400 for a boxed copy)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Scoot said:
Why wouldn't it be? Hijack the console's properties, mold it to your own desires and wishes. Modify its inerts and expand its performance. Then meet microsoft's ban stick. Every part of that is funny.
You fuck the man, and the man turns right back round and breaks a broomstick off in your behind. Digitally, speaking.

legally modifying your own property .. is fucking with the man ?

border

trippingmartian said:
PC's are sold with the intention of being multimedia web browsing machines. Xboxen are not.
Microsoft doesn't sell PCs though =P Are you trying to say that Windows is sold with the intention of being an all-purpose piracy OS? It doesn't disable any of its functionality even when it can probably easily detect a user is running copied software or digital media without DRM.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
quadriplegicjon said:
legally modifying your own property .. is fucking with the man ?

:lol
If you think the Xbox and what's inside of it is all legally your property, well.

border said:
Microsoft doesn't sell PCs though =P Are you trying to say that Windows is sold with the intention of being an all-purpose piracy OS? It doesn't disable any of its functionality even when it can probably easily detect a user is running copied software or digital media without DRM.
Windows XP ships with an MP3 player. Take that as you will.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
a friend of mine made a good point. He has a modded xbox. Downloads and plays pirate games. But ones with good live modes, he buys. Probably has more Xbox games than any other platform he's ever had.

If MS kick him from live, he will sell his collection, not renew his subscription, and never buy anymore xbox games.

how does that help MS?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
mrklaw said:
a friend of mine made a good point. He has a modded xbox. Downloads and plays pirate games. But ones with good live modes, he buys. Probably has more Xbox games than any other platform he's ever had.

If MS kick him from live, he will sell his collection, not renew his subscription, and never buy anymore xbox games.

how does that help MS?

Because MS doesn't care about him? He and the people like him are probably a drop in the bucket.

ooooo...how exciting... I have a 120HDD.... I played on Live yesterday without any problems... I think I should play some HAlo2 now again... =))

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I want to punch Deneiro in the fucking face right now. Stop trying so hard. You can't beat us...

I'd offer you to join us, but nah...

Speaking of XBMC, where can I find the new versions? Mine is from 10/20-something. I want the new version but XBINS UK has versions from October and older.

his is just another scare up... MS instituted some new checks on people who were already banned before and also added that HDD Serial check, that's all...

i know tons of people who use modded xboxes and still aren't banned, simply because they were never banned before and they havent changed their HDD recently...

if MS *really* wanted to ban everyone with a modded xbox, they could... but then how many people do you think would be playing Halo 2 on LIVE?

quin

I have a modded xbox to play MY games I OWN because my xbox's CD Drive sucks. cost 40 dollars to get the chip rather than paying microsoft another 199(back in the day) or too hassel with their tech support. Every game on that HD I own and bought with my money. I have XBMC on there which is the greatest thing in the world and a few emulators. Maybe its not right to have the emulators on there but they are still there. Not everyone has good intensions with modchips but calling everyone a pirate is laughable

Kon Tiki

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
if MS *really* wanted to ban everyone with a modded xbox, they could... but then how many people do you think would be playing Halo 2 on LIVE?

50,491 Or so I heard.

snapty00

Banned
WTF. Do some people just have some strange fetish that makes them mod their Xbox or something? It's like some people's lives would end if they couldn't mod their Xbox.

Go get a real fucking PC.

RevenantKioku

The Faceless Master said:

I think its this kind of thinking that really puts me over the edge.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Project Midway said:
ooooo...how exciting... I have a 120HDD.... I played on Live yesterday without any problems... I think I should play some HAlo2 now again... =))

Same here. I boot with the retail bios using a 120 gig hd and have had zero problems thus far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
snapty00 said:
WTF. Do some people just have some strange fetish that makes them mod their Xbox or something? It's like some people's lives would end if they couldn't mod their Xbox.

Go get a real fucking PC.

Go get a real fucking life.

Show me the PC that can sit in my lounge and give me easy, remote controlled access to my music, movies and photos, that costs $150

The new media center extenders from HP/Linksys are getting close, but they still require crappy media center windows.

MS clearly see the benefits of XBMC, as they are bringing the equivalent out for xbox (is it still coming out? I thought it was due in November)

Kon Tiki

Banned
mrklaw said:
MS clearly see the benefits of XBMC, as they are bringing the equivalent out for xbox (is it still coming out? I thought it was due in November)

Other way around. XMBC was created from the MS app.

demi

atomsk said:
for those scared of the LPC scan... as i'm reading a bit further in that thread, it seems 1.6 xbox and above would be at risk, because the bios runs through that LPC...

now me? i've got a 1.3 xbox, and an x2.2l+ chip. so there's not much MS can do to detect it, since when the chip is off, it's OFF. (pogopins WOOOOO)

Woo, I'm rocking a 1.0 box with a Xen ICE! :rock

RevenantKioku

quadriplegicjon said:
um.. how is it not?

The fact that MS can ban you from Live for modifying it, and get away with it, gives you your answer.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
RevenantKioku said:
The fact that MS can ban you from Live for modifying it, and get away with it, gives you your answer.

no.. cause we dont own live.. we pay a monthly or yearly fee for the live service.. they have every right (per the agreement) to ban us from their servers.. and their service..

the fact that we can modify our xboxs without fearing jail time, a lawsuit or a fine proves that we do own the hardware. we aint renting these machines.

RevenantKioku said:
it's yours to do with what you want, but to use Xbox Live, you have to submit to their specifications, and if you don't, and they know, you're gone...

DaCocoBrova said:
I want to punch Deneiro in the fucking face right now. Stop trying so hard. You can't beat us...

I'd offer you to join us, but nah...

Speaking of XBMC, where can I find the new versions? Mine is from 10/20-something. I want the new version but XBINS UK has versions from October and older.
:lol

"Beat us"? I don't have anything against people who mod their Xbox, I just don't sympathize with those who take it on Live and are somehow surprised when they get banned. Especially when there's a good chance they'll figure out how to cheat at some point.

I'll probably have a modded Xbox of my own at some point (hopefully that new crystal one). If I find enough reasons to get one. It just doesn't strike me as interesting at this point.

Top Bottom