• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is PS2 the first console with 100% compatibility for PC~Console gaming?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I.e. Final Fantasy XI is, AFAIK, the EXACT same game between PC and PS2 version, and both versions connect to the same servers, interacting seamlessly. Obviously the game was developed for PS2 first, but nonetheless:

Has any previous game console been capable of running a networked or online game concurrently with the PC version of the same game, with zero loss of function and feature? If so, which consoles/games? I can't think of any at the moment... even the Dreamcast version of Q3A was very limited in terms of cross-platform connectivity.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I bet there was something so bizzarely unknown that came out a few years ago on some deceased console. Either that, or some online DC or PS2 game did it before. *shrug*

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sounds like somebody is working at Sony's European PR agency verifying the Top Ten Points sheet for FFXI announcement.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Chittagong said:
Sounds like somebody is working at Sony's European PR agency verifying the Top Ten Points sheet for FFXI announcement.

Internet forum geeks never fail to amaze with their assumptions!

Actually, I live in the US, don't work for Sony, and was just curious becuase if so, I have to admit running a cross-platform game as complex as FFXI is a pretty impressive achievement.

Oh wait - I think a single thing a Sony console did was impressive. I must be teh S0n3 f@nb0i ;)

akascream

Banned
Yeah, thats why there's only 4 mobs in the entire game (goblins, worms, bees and those dumb ass looking shell guys).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Theoretically there was nothing stopping any previous console from acheiving the same results, it just took a software developer with the proper knowhow (and support from the console manufacturer) to pull it off.

Essentially we are now in the right console generation to properly pull off massive cross platform connectivity in online games since there are MANY feature sets and engines that are compatible with every platform (including PC). It's a shame that it hasn't happened, especially with Sony's open stance on the PS2 network and the tightly integrated and executed Xbox Live service.

shuri

Banned
I believe you could play Capcom Vs Marvel 2 DC against PS2 players in Japan. Or was it that port of street fighter 2?

jarrod

Banned
shuri said:
I believe you could play Capcom Vs Marvel 2 DC against PS2 players in Japan. Or was it that port of street fighter 2?
It was Capcom Vs SNK 2. EA also made a big deal out of cross PS2/PC play in NFSU iirc, in fact they said eventually they want to make all their online games cross platform compatible.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The PC version of FFXI is hardly an achievement. It's compatible, yes, but...

They did very little to enchance the graphics. Like when you move, you have that blurriness thing on all the polygons that you have with most PSone and PS2 games. You can force AA and AF with your video card, but it takes a huge hit in performance.

Objects don't appear until your like 40 feet away. That's annoying when you're trying to avoid goblins and the like. PCs (with high speed connections) should have a feature for drawing enemies as farther.

There is no surround sound. Morrowind is a pathetic achievement in video, but at least it has good surround sound.

It's compatible because it's exactly the same as the PS2 game in every feature.

Warcraft III is a much better achievement. The video is scalable from a Geforce to a 6800 Ultra, both on PC and Mac. From Stereo to Dolby 5.1.

AlphaSnake said:
I bet there was something so bizzarely unknown that came out a few years ago on some deceased console. Either that, or some online DC or PS2 game did it before. *shrug*

Yeah, wasn't there some offroad racing game on the DC that was playable online with the PC version? Not sure, but for some reason I'm remembering something like that.

Azrael

Yeah, thats why there's only 4 mobs in the entire game (goblins, worms, bees and those dumb ass looking shell guys).

Bullshit. PS2 version has nothing to do with lack of mob variety. People were trolling that nonsense for months until the new CoP mobs were announced. Get with the program.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Quake doesnt really count.. you have to be running an old PC build with a special download to do it.. its a pain in the ass.

Hopefully with MS's new stance on Xbox Live being part of XML we will see the beginning of Xbox/PC stuff.

Scott

akascream said:
Are you still making this shit up?

Please go dig up the Square vs Blizzard CG thread to see where I already proved you incredibly wrong on this. Thanks.

Tellaerin

teh_pwn said:
They did very little to enchance the graphics.

It's enhance.

Not to be too much of a spelling Nazi over it, but I'm seeing this particular typo crop up on this board more and more over the past week or so, and I'd like to stamp it out before it takes root like some malignant weed. ;)

Top Bottom