• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there something you'd like to accomplish over the next 12 months?

Big or small, consequential or petty, do you have any goals you hope to achieve over the next year?

As a side question, do you have a habit of setting distinct goals for yourself?

strengthexercise.jpg
011192059-main.jpg
best-scenic-cruises.jpg
post-36127-0-60641100-1477787876.png

Ovek

7Member7
Just bought a "project" Fiat 500S that needs some repairs albeit minor and I want to stick a Apple Car / Android auto head unit in to it for no reason whats so ever or than "because I can" and other tarty things that will add absolutely zero to it's value. So I would like to get in to that over the next year and brush of the dust on my car mechanic skills that I haven't used for a very long time.

As a side question, do you have a habit of setting distinct goals for yourself?

Yep it's the only way I will ever achieve anything.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I had a heart attack in January and I set a couple of goals for myself to prevent that from happening again. First I decided I needed to lose weight to the tune of around 100lbs. Secondly, I needed to get my credit cards (and subsequent medical bills) paid off to help reduce my stress. Finally, I set a goal that I'd like to run a marathon.

Since then I've lost 38lbs, only have three more months until all my credit card and medical debts are paid off (especially tough since I got a $15,000 bill from the heart attack and subsequent follow-up), and I'm training up to run a marathon which I might be doing in September.

Although I might have to settle for just doing three half-marathons (I'm already signed up for two) because I'm still a bit overweight and my doctor says I shouldn't push myself.

pathfinder is my main ;d

Literally the Fox of Apex Legends.

Open a savings account so I can secure funds for my potential Japan 2020 trip.

Need to lose some weight too, eating less isn't really hard though. Just gotta avoid the fast food.

Last edited:
To kick off my cd key selling scheme. I got thousands of keys, I got dat phat supply, but dat demand ain't there bro what gives. i.e I need a storefront, a street-corner, you know...a way to distribute the goods. Most I've managed to make thus far is $80 in one day thanks to minecraft win 10 edition. But that is a one trick pony, I can't rely on minecraft.

Last edited:

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Learn another 5 or 6 Chopin Nocturnes/Waltzes (I need to stop procrastinating, I've only learned one so far)
Finally become completely fluent in written/spoken Chinese (trying to beat Mark Zuckerberg's 3-year record for spoken)
Fully produce the songs I've been writing/finish writing music

That's all I can think of atm... maybe that's not a good thing, maybe it is. I'm sure I'll have more.

cant be that good at apex if you're still picking wraith over pathfinder at this point.

fucking WEEB

You are exactly why this game is frustrating as hell. Thought you should know.

-- Sincerely, butthurt bc no hitreg

pathfinder is my main ;d

but i play everyone, will go back to octane once bhop healing is back in

Not sure if kidding. That'll never happen lmao

kaijuhunter

Neo Member
I want to reach at least N4 level in Nihongo certification. I'm studying the Japanese language this year. I'm okay with reading and writing but having a hard time with speaking and listening comprehension.

Nester99

masturbate a lot more, or a lot less.....regardless, Change is a brewing.

Last year on july 1st i cut out soda and sugar drinks and candy with a focus on healthy eating could maintain.
The health effects beyond the 45 lbs lost have been pretty great. no more tums by the nightstand ! i can touch my toes again !

almost 1 week for it to be a sold year !

Porcile

I want to stop drinking that Coke Zero poison so much. I switched over to sparkling water recently but I still crave Coke Zero once a week or so.

Ten_Fold

Thinking about finishing up my indie game an putting it on steam, or continue to work on music. I’m just tired of working a 9-5.

Get my 6 pack back
Start my consulting business
Make friends
Be more likeable and less socially awkward.
Have a woman approach me and say something nice.

Record my first TV show episode
Write my book
Finish my screenplay
Fire one up Avril Lavigne.

Chances of any of them happening in 12 years, let alone 12 months? Zero.

So amma just get baked and play video games.

Cato

Banned
I would like to do a bulls-eye at least once.

I eat a lot of fibre. I don't wipe, real men don't wipe.
I drew a dart board on the opposite wall in the bathroom and my aim right now
is to build enough strength and precision that I can shoot a turd across the room and hit the bulls-eye
when I do the #2.

That is my goal.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Make a shit-load of money trading. Crypto, forex, commodities, don't give a shit. Just trade that shit nice and simple.

Tesseract

Banned
Learn another 5 or 6 Chopin Nocturnes/Waltzes (I need to stop procrastinating, I've only learned one so far)
Finally become completely fluent in written/spoken Chinese (trying to beat Mark Zuckerberg's 3-year record for spoken)
Fully produce the songs I've been writing/finish writing music

That's all I can think of atm... maybe that's not a good thing, maybe it is. I'm sure I'll have more.

You are exactly why this game is frustrating as hell. Thought you should know.

-- Sincerely, butthurt bc no hitreg

Not sure if kidding. That'll never happen lmao

bhop healing is being added for octane in the next patch

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I had a heart attack in January and I set a couple of goals for myself to prevent that from happening again. First I decided I needed to lose weight to the tune of around 100lbs. Secondly, I needed to get my credit cards (and subsequent medical bills) paid off to help reduce my stress. Finally, I set a goal that I'd like to run a marathon.

Since then I've lost 38lbs, only have three more months until all my credit card and medical debts are paid off (especially tough since I got a $15,000 bill from the heart attack and subsequent follow-up), and I'm training up to run a marathon which I might be doing in September.

Although I might have to settle for just doing three half-marathons (I'm already signed up for two) because I'm still a bit overweight and my doctor says I shouldn't push myself.

Christ - did the insurance not cover it? That kind of bill would give me another heart attack! I'm glad I live in the UK with our NHS. It's not perfect but it's pretty fucking amazing. Debt-free heart attacks.

Grow my main business 10% at least and I would like to see the second business I invested in with my brother to have at least a 20% growth over it's previous year with all the changes we've made.

Ornlu

Banned
Work: Get better w/more advanced Solidworks features, also waiting to see what my role is going to be w/ the company after we recently bought a majority investment in a similar business

Home: Continuing to build savings, looking to eventually have 3 months of pay built up. Hard to do with 3 kids, but we've been doing it for a year or so. We have a 100 year old house that gets a lot of money put into it for reno/improvements, so it's a juggle between where any extra money goes.

Health: I'm in good shape, but my fighting weight is @ about 180-190. My strongest was at a lean 200, so I'd like to drop the extra 15 and be there again. I've done it before, but damn I love me some food. Savory food is my kryptonite.

Ornlu

Banned

It sounds like you are making a great effort toward your goals! Congrats, and keep up the hard work!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Mostly just focused on work (finishing up some research projects and getting some articles published)and recovering from surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon. Latter is just rest and some light stretching out of the brace for the next month. Then gradually into some PT. 3 months to full mobility and probably a year until I’m back to full strength and have no lifting restrictions.

Otherwise, just need to lose 15 pounds or so which I can do mostly through less beer and wine and some light exercise st the gym while recovering.

Last edited by a moderator:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Christ - did the insurance not cover it? That kind of bill would give me another heart attack! I'm glad I live in the UK with our NHS. It's not perfect but it's pretty fucking amazing. Debt-free heart attacks.
The $15k was after insurance. I have a "high deductible" plan through my work that technically meets the legal requirements but just barely. I have a $10k deductible, and a $15k "out of pocket limit" each year.

The good news is my family's medical stuff is taken care of for the rest of the year (if we need it). If I were to have another heart attack on Jan 1 though, that'd be another $15k.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The $15k was after insurance. I have a "high deductible" plan through my work that technically meets the legal requirements but just barely. I have a $10k deductible, and a $15k "out of pocket limit" each year.

The good news is my family's medical stuff is taken care of for the rest of the year (if we need it). If I were to have another heart attack on Jan 1 though, that'd be another $15k.

Wow that's so fucked up. I mean $15k is a big chunk of money to find from nowhere. I have no idea how people manage in America.

jshackles

Wow that's so fucked up. I mean $15k is a big chunk of money to find from nowhere. I have no idea how people manage in America.
Hint: we don't.

Before I started wrangling my finances as a result of this, I was basically at the point where I was paying my rent with credit cards, whose balances kept going up every month because I didn't make enough money at my two full time / one part time jobs to pay all my family's monthly expenses like groceries.

My situation is somewhat unique, but stories like mine are pretty common in the US right now.

Back on topic though, the above is why setting goals is so important. If you bounce along without a plan, it can be easy to find yourself in a bad situation and feeling like you have no control over it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hint: we don't.

Before I started wrangling my finances as a result of this, I was basically at the point where I was paying my rent with credit cards, whose balances kept going up every month because I didn't make enough money at my two full time / one part time jobs to pay all my family's monthly expenses like groceries.

My situation is somewhat unique, but stories like mine are pretty common in the US right now.

Back on topic though, the above is why setting goals is so important. If you bounce along without a plan, it can be easy to find yourself in a bad situation and feeling like you have no control over it.

Ouch. I've been there and it's not fun, and I was fortunate enough not to have to worry about healthcare bills. My wife was diagnosed with MS and honestly if we'd been in America we'd be fucked right now, unable to get insurance and unable to pay the cost of her medication (and no doubt her employer would get rid - note that despite her MS she's kicking ass in a skilled and well-paid job but the drugs are VERY expensive). I'm glad you're getting out of that mess though and hope others have the same strength and a bit of good fortune too. All we can ever do is improve our odds, beyond that life will take regular shits on your head, you just keep ploughing through.

Sleepydays

Banned
I have a record 85% finished, and have done since last year. Work and family has intervened and I finally have the time to push it to the finish line. The thing is: there is nothing more dispiriting than working hard on music only to release it to near-zero interest, and that's par for the course these days.

I've been so close to giving up completely, but I know that to do so would only be detrimental to myself. It's just frustrating to not feel good about the release, to have to brace myself for almost unavoidable disappointment.

God Enel

Make a shit-load of money trading. Crypto, forex, commodities, don't give a shit. Just trade that shit nice and simple.

Don’t you have to have a shitload of money in order to make a shitload more money.

My goals?
I’m not sure. Find a Woman i can live with until my end would be nice. But that’s not something you can press, I think.

I’d like to get the front/back lever done as well as the human flag and a muscle up.

And I’d like learn even more coding to the point that I can develop an app. But that’s a tough one.

I have a record 85% finished, and have done since last year. Work and family has intervened and I finally have the time to push it to the finish line. The thing is: there is nothing more dispiriting than working hard on music only to release it to near-zero interest, and that's par for the course these days.

I've been so close to giving up completely, but I know that to do so would only be detrimental to myself. It's just frustrating to not feel good about the release, to have to brace myself for almost unavoidable disappointment.
Don't give up because you'll just regret it.

You'll never regret releasing a finished product, even if it is a complete failure.

I don't have any huge goals right now apart from finding a better job and moving into a better apartment. I definitely need to lose some weight though (5'5" at 200 lbs). I used to be around 150 lbs about five or six years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom