• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the best gaming notebook I can find for this price?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Long story short (or not), I bought a cheap Toshiba laptop (Satellite A135, $599usd) last year, solely for Internet browsing, with no intention of gaming. Then I discovered Steam, started playing Dawn Of War, and I rediscovered my love for PC gaming tenfold. The roadblock I'm faced with is obviously the Integrated GMA950 that's currently under my hood. The laptop started messing up a couple days ago, so I'm gonna take this as a sign that it's time for an upgrade.

Now on to the main event. I haven't been a PC gamer since the 90s, and even then I knew fuck all about specs and their ramifications, so I need some guidance here. I'm trying to stay under my budget which is ~$1k, and this is the notebook I'm looking at:

Dell Vostro 1500
CPU: Intel C2D T7250 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
LCD: 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+ (1680x1050)
Mem: 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
HDD: 160GB 5400RPM Hard Drive

Total: $958 + tax

I think that's the relevant stats. My main focus will probably be modern RTS like Supreme Commander, Starcraft 2 (whenever), Universe At War, Soulstorm, etc. I will probably check out some of the FPS that I've missed out on over the last five years. I'm just looking to do some mid-range gaming, nothing too intensive.

My questions / comments are:

1. Is the Vostro line okay?
2. How's the selected processor?
3. Is 1680 x 1050 overkill on a 15.4 inch monitor? I could save money if I downgraded.
4. I'm pretty confident that the GPU is legit, but feel free to tell me otherwise.
5. This is not a "Lulz Crysis Box Thread", but how would this build run it? Supreme Commander?

6. Lastly, to anyone with a Best Buy Perforance Plan: Will BB agree to refund me for this faulty laptop, or are they exchange only. I'd love to be able to put the $700 towards this new rig.

Thanks for your time and comments.

Ledsen

Vostro is known for being cheap gaming laptops (although they are meant for small businesses), so go for it!

Nif

Heh, I bought that exact setup at the end of January. It should arrive tomorrow. I can let you know how it runs some of the newer games.

edit: except I got the XGA+. Supposedly the Vostro and Inspirion line have had issues with grainy screens with the WXGA+. Some people say they started using a fixed screen sometime in January. Check NotebookReview.com and look up grainy screen in their forum.

K.Jack

Nif said:
edit: except I got the XGA+. Supposedly the Vostro and Inspirion line have had issues with grainy screens with the WXGA+. Some people say they started using a fixed screen sometime in January. Check NotebookReview.com and look up grainy screen in their forum.

Thanks for the heads up on the screen issue. I'm checking out the nbr.com site, and it seems like they're currently switching from the crappy Samsung LCDs to reliable LG screens. I may wait a few weeks for the old stock to get cleared out, unless the deal on the 1500 ends sooner than that.

I've never had a decent comp in my life. I'm way too excited.

MaX_PL

Banned
wow thats an incredible price for what you get.

do they offer a slightly faster cpu?

i've been considering the m1530 more so for the styling than performance, but this vostro has an amazing price-performance ratio.

No_Style

K.Jack said:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MB
LCD: 15.4 in Wide Screen SXGA+ (1680x1050)

That 8600M GT isn't going to be enough support that resolution with most modern games. It's going to look nice as a desktop resolution though.

What's the next step down in resolution?

MaX_PL

Banned
No_Style said:
That 8600M GT isn't going to be enough support that resolution with most modern games. It's going to look nice as a desktop resolution though.

yeh i made this mistake with the laptop i currently own. 1920x1200 res. with a radeon 9700.

zoku88

No_Style said:

I play with a 8600M GT. It's fine for most games. I even play at 1920x1200 sometimes (using an external monitor.) Although, mine is 512MB. SupCom will run fine. Crysis, ehh, I've never tried it.

Firestorm

I just use 1200x800 on my 15.4" laptop. I have a GeForce Go 7600. As others have said, if you're in the States, Dell usually has some great coupons you can use.

K.Jack

MaX_PL said:
wow thats an incredible price for what you get.

do they offer a slightly faster cpu?

i've been considering the m1530 more so for the styling than performance, but this vostro has an amazing price-performance ratio.

two more CPUs available:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) [add $80]
Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) [add $320]

No_Style said:

XGA+ 1440 x 900, honestly a much more practical resolution, which I should go with, but the 1680 is only $50 more, so I said f it go all out.

zoku88

K.Jack said:
two more CPUs available:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) [add $80]
Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB) [add $320]

XGA+ 1440 x 900, honestly a much more practical resolution, which I should go with, but the 1680 is only $50 more, so I said f it go all out.
The CPU you have is fine. I have a T7700 and it's not worth $320 more than your CPU in performance. The T7500 might be worth it, but I doubt you'd ever see much of a difference.

I still say your resolution is fine. I have yet to go below 1680x1050 on any game (although, I don't play on highest settings, always.) And of course, I haven't played Crysis :lol

K.Jack

64-bit is a pain in the ass, no? I'm not touching that trainwreck anytime soon.

Dell only offers 32-bit anyway.

Ninjazn

If you're getting an 8600mGT, make sure you get 512mb, it's better for 1680x1050. I have that card in my laptop, and I can play a lot of games at 1680x1050 fluidly, except for Crysis. :(

zoku88

K.Jack said:
64-bit is a pain in the ass, no? I'm not touching that trainwreck anytime soon.

Dell only offers 32-bit anyway.
64-bit is fine right now. I don't personally have it (ASUS only offers 64-bit as well) but it works well unless there are some drivers that aren't 64-bit (which you won't encounter since I believe every OEM provides both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers.)

Anyway, if they only offer 32-bit, there's no reason to get 64-bit...

Kosma

Banned
Ninjazn said:
If you're getting an 8600mGT, make sure you get 512mb, it's better for 1680x1050. I have that card in my laptop, and I can play a lot of games at 1680x1050 fluidly, except for Crysis. :(

zoku88 said:
I play with a 8600M GT. It's fine for most games. I even play at 1920x1200 sometimes (using an external monitor.) Although, mine is 512MB. SupCom will run fine. Crysis, ehh, I've never tried it.

Actually in the laptop field the 256 MB has DDR3 memory while the 512 MB has DDR2, which in makes the 256 version a bit quicker and better for games.

Top Bottom