• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's that time of year again. It's scorching hot outside and we need to remember to double-check our vehicles for children and pets.

Jennings

Every year the numbers go up, and there's currently no end in sight. With the number of devices and distractions in our lives nowadays a simple slip of the mind can be deadly. For those with kids and pets, be sure to make double-checking your vehicles for kids and pets a mandatory part of your exit routine.

Jsisto

What the fuck, I just parked at the grocery store and found a whole litter of kittens in the back seat and an infant in the glove box, this has got to stop.

In all seriousness, that’s incredibly tragic. Can’t imagine the guilt someone must feel after letting that happen.

Last edited:
there is a difference with forgetting and intentionally leaving your kid/pet in the car. what kind of state of mind must you be in to FORGET your kid/pet? if you forget then you're in no fit state to be looking after a child or pet. "with the number of devices and distractions in our lives" is not an excuse. get the fuck off your phone. your kids/pet should be taken off you. same goes for you intentionally leaving them there. of course it depends on the situation. running into a shop real quick is different from leaving them in a car for hours.

i think it's safe to say that most people don't need to be reminded how to look after their kids/pets but of course you will get idiots out there.... they should be reported to social services for their kid or have their pet taken off them and rehomed!

Last edited by a moderator:

nush

what kind of state of mind must you be in to FORGET your kid/pet? if you forget then you're in no fit state to be looking after a child or pet. "with the number of devices and distractions in our lives" is not an excuse. get the fuck off your phone. your kids/pet should be taken off you.

When you're self centered and the kids/pets are accessories to your life. As a parent you have that "Where the fucks the kid gone now?" within minutes. You don't just fucking "Forget", little shits* require constant attention.

*You know what I mean if you've got kids.

Kilau

there is a difference with forgetting and intentionally leaving your kid/pet in the car. what kind of state of mind must you be in to FORGET your kid/pet? if you forget then you're in no fit state to be looking after a child or pet. "with the number of devices and distractions in our lives" is not an excuse. get the fuck off your phone. your kids/pet should be taken off you. same goes for you intentionally leaving them there. of course it depends on the situation. running into a shop real quick is different from leaving them in a car for hours.

i think it's safe to say that most people don't need to be reminded how to look after their kids/pets but of course you will get idiots out there.... they should be reported to social services for their kid or have their pet taken off them and rehomed!
Once or twice a year the preschool would have me read and sign a distracted parent/driver form covering this issue. It’s a state law they have to do it.

I don’t understand how it can happen but it does.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Heat is something people are worried about unfortunately global warming is real being locked in a heated car is a nightmare.

Oh cool, I found a portal to 1993 in my passenger-side cupholder, and inside was a copy of my 5-year-old self. Thanks, OP!

Last edited:

Dural

When you're self centered and the kids/pets are accessories to your life. As a parent you have that "Where the fucks the kid gone now?" within minutes. You don't just fucking "Forget", little shits* require constant attention.

*You know what I mean if you've got kids.

Exactly! I have 4 kids and if I haven't heard them I wonder where they are and yell their name to get a response. It's just a natural thing parents do, you know something's not right if it's too quiet. I've found a toddler in the dryer hiding when they weren't responding, hiding in the island cupboard, fell asleep in the toybox, my 4yo fell asleep in his baby brother's crib and no one could find him, my 1you climbed the pantry to get to the cereal on the top shelf. They seriously will get into anything and everything and need constant attention. I can't understand how someone could leave a kid for hours and not wonder where the hell they are.

Aesius

It's not that parents leave their kids in a hot car and just sit around all day going "hmm, I wonder where little Timmy is? Oh well!"

Usually hot car deaths happen because parents either completely forget their kids are in their backseats or because they somehow have a brain glitch where they think they dropped their kids off at daycare/preschool/school but didn't. So then they go their entire days assuming their kids are safe.

And that forgetfulness/brain glitch is usually caused by a combination of disruptions in their normal routines. Let's say the usual daycare drop-off parent is sick. The other parent is tasked with taking their kid to daycare that day, which is something they've never done or haven't done in a long time. The kid is tired that morning and unusually quiet in their car seat. The parent gets an urgent work call on their way to work and their mind completely switches gears from "must drop off child at daycare" to "must take care of this work issue."

So they completely bypass their kid's daycare and instead go straight to work. Their kid is passed out in their backseat not making a peep. The parent parks and hustles into their workplace just as they normally do and have normally done for years, because for that particular parent, taking their kid to daycare isn't part of their routine. And the urgent work call combined with the sleeping kid made them forget the change in routine.

They go into work and work 9 hours. Meanwhile, their kid died in a 130+ degree car while they were busy typing up emails and sitting in meetings. It sounds horrific and unthinkable but it's usually because of ONE lapse in memory and not due to an entire day's worth of neglect and forgetfulness.

I'm hyper sensitive to this because it's my worst fear for my son. I make my wife send me a picture of him when she drops him off at daycare on the three days per week that he attends. It's scary as fuck precisely because it often happens to parents who can't imagine how other parents can allow it to happen to their children.

NinjaBoiX

Damn, I make double sure to check I’ve not left something as silly as loose change on display to encourage would-be thieves.

I can’t imagine forgetting a pet or tiny human, fuck me…

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's not that parents leave their kids in a hot car and just sit around all day going "hmm, I wonder where little Timmy is? Oh well!"

Usually hot car deaths happen because parents either completely forget their kids are in their backseats or because they somehow have a brain glitch where they think they dropped their kids off at daycare/preschool/school but didn't. So then they go their entire days assuming their kids are safe.

And that forgetfulness/brain glitch is usually caused by a combination of disruptions in their normal routines. Let's say the usual daycare drop-off parent is sick. The other parent is tasked with taking their kid to daycare that day, which is something they've never done or haven't done in a long time. The kid is tired that morning and unusually quiet in their car seat. The parent gets an urgent work call on their way to work and their mind completely switches gears from "must drop off child at daycare" to "must take care of this work issue."

So they completely bypass their kid's daycare and instead go straight to work. Their kid is passed out in their backseat not making a peep. The parent parks and hustles into their workplace just as they normally do and have normally done for years, because for that particular parent, taking their kid to daycare isn't part of their routine. And the urgent work call combined with the sleeping kid made them forget the change in routine.

They go into work and work 9 hours. Meanwhile, their kid died in a 130+ degree car while they were busy typing up emails and sitting in meetings. It sounds horrific and unthinkable but it's usually because of ONE lapse in memory and not due to an entire day's worth of neglect and forgetfulness.

I'm hyper sensitive to this because it's my worst fear for my son. I make my wife send me a picture of him when she drops him off at daycare on the three days per week that he attends. It's scary as fuck precisely because it often happens to parents who can't imagine how other parents can allow it to happen to their children.
Yeah to convince yourself this only happens because parents are neglectful and don't care about their kids is to ignore the reality of how this could happen to you.
Most people who have driven to and from work for a long time, will one day find themselves close to work without any real memory of driving there. Not that they weren't alert and paying attention to the road, just that there brain went on autopilot. Or that one morning you need to go somewhere else before work, but find yourself making the turn to work before even realizing it.

LordCBH

How the actual fuck does someone forget their kid? Fuck them I’ll judge them hardcore. That’s something you don’t just forget.

TDiddyLive

Thanks for the reminder. No kids or pets, just Dirty Mike and the boys running a “soup kitchen” in my Prius.
OP8vp9B.gif

Last edited:

Aesius

Once or twice a year the preschool would have me read and sign a distracted parent/driver form covering this issue. It’s a state law they have to do it.

I don’t understand how it can happen but it does.
My son's daycare will call me or my wife if he isn’t checked-in by around 9 a.m. on days he’s supposed to be there.

Fbh

I'd understand forgetting the kid in the car for like 15-20 minutes. But 3 hours ?

Even the more lax parent I know will usually check on their 5 years old if they've been too quiet for more than 30 minutes

MrMephistoX

As someone with kids and dogs that I love with all my heart I will never understand how this is possible.
I know right? Even though my car has a “Dog mode” I still feel super hesitant to use it even if its only like 60 degrees outside.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I always double check cars I park next to anywhere I go as I walk past. Already had to make a call about some asshole that left their HUSKY in their black SUV last week when the heat index was 110+ with the windows barely down while I was at Walmart. The poor thing was shoving its nose into the crack for dear life.

Some people don't deserve to have pets.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Thanks for that article, it was a really good read! All the people commenting that they would never make this mistake should take a look. I believe the whole point of the thread was to raise awareness that it can happen to anyone, especially people that think it could never happen to them.

It could never happen to me though, I would never make this mistake.

LimanimaPT

This is something that has happened to me and I completely understand how can this happen. I have a small dog that sometimes travels in the back seat and stays completely silent. This happened once because I was totally distracted thinking about work that I completely forgot the poor guy. He was in the car for almost 2 hours in the heat, fortunately I noticed that he was missing in the house and went to get him in time. I think he would have died on me if he stayed there a little longer. This has nothing to do with love or no love or lack of consideration.
Now, I put the key for my house next to him. I can't enter my house without the key!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

I’m going to steal this idea. I can be absent minded and now that I’m a newly minted dad, it’s one of my worst fears.

Dural

Yep, I'm the one that always dropped the kids off at daycare and when my wife had to do it once I made sure to text her to see if she dropped them off as it's out of her routine. She's forgotten to pick them up before, so forgetting to drop them off could easily happen.

Nester99

Are there kids that don’t talk non stop? Mine won’t stop, you can not forget them, they won’t let you!

Top Bottom