• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've bought my first (gaming) PC, now I need advice for a monitor

Big Nikus

I ordered the PC online so it should be delivered in a few days, and I still need to chose a monitor. It's been more than 10 years since I had a PC capable of running games well, so I'm pretty psyched (goodbye, 30fps). The last games I played on PC were The Longest Journey and Final Fantasy XI :D

I spent about 1100€ (~1230$) for the components and the tower, and I'm left with 200€ (~230$) for the monitor. Can I find a good monitor for that price ? I think 24" should be more than enough for me, 27" seems too big. Does the resolution need to go above 1920x1080 (I've seen some 1440p monitors) ?

I could go a little higher than 200€ if it's absolutely necessary, though I still have to pick a mouse and a keyboard too, so any recommendations for that would also be appreciated ! (keeping in mind that I don't really need a gaming mouse or keyboard, as I'll mostly play with a 360 or Xbox One gamepad)

Also, noob question, will it be possible for me to play games on my TV while my S.O works on the monitor ?

It's gonna be tough for me to adjust, I've always been a console gamer, but I'm tired of playing at 30fps, and I just want to play the best versions available of games (can't wait to play MGS V and The Witcher 3). Still, I'll buy a PS4 and a One down the line for the exclusives though it can wait until some console revisions and more price drops (also, I'm broke).

tl;dr > Good PC monitor for about 200€ (~230$) plz

Azar

It sounds like you don't want or need a 27-inch monitor, which is the ideal size for 2560x1440 resolution. I love 1440p, but it's definitely more expensive and not something to cheap out on. So it sounds like the ideal for you is a 23/24-inch 1080p monitor.

At that size, you shouldn't be spending too much on a monitor--just enough to get an IPS screen, which has vastly superior color quality and viewing angles to TN. My site (PC Gamer) has a guide to gaming monitors, and we recommend this Viewsonic for a budget 1080p pick.

Personally I'm a big fan of 1440p and variable refresh (G-Sync and FreeSync) displays these days, but you're looking at $500+ for those kinds of monitors.

Big Nikus

Always start at the source, OP.

"I Need a New PC!" thread.

Yeah, I thought about that thread too late, but I think I can trust the recommandations my friends gave me.

What are the specs of this new beast? :)

Here goes:
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE
Processor: Intel Core i5-4690K (3.5 GHz)
Graphic card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+, 4 Go
Ram: DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury, 2 x 4 Go, 1866 MHz, CAS 9
Hardrive: a 1To HDD and a 250Go SSD

New pc? Then you need a variable refresh rate monitor.

Something g-sync or freesync, but variable.

144hz + variable refresh. It's the biggest upgrade since, I don't know, 3dfx?

Really, makes a ton of difference. There's no point in avoiding the tech when buying a new monitor (other than money).

And having a new pc with a shitty monitor defies the purpose of a gaming pc.

Woorloog

Banned
At that size, you shouldn't be spending too much on a monitor--just enough to get an IPS screen, which has vastly superior color quality and viewing angles to TN. My site (PC Gamer) has a guide to gaming monitors, and we recommend this Viewsonic for a budget 1080p pick.

The price's nice here (cheaper than an alternative i've been looking at) but i'm worried about that dithering mentioned.
Maybe.
I do dislike color issues, my current laptop has an issue where blues and greens look different depending whether they're at the top or bottom edge. Of course, if i have a problem with that, perhaps i should be looking at spending a bit more for higher quality monitor? (1080p/60HZ is OK, as long as it is still suitable for gaming.)

Big Nikus

Thanks for all the advice !

I can't afford a g-sync monitor for now, I'll look into that once it's a bit less expensive.

BenQ seems like a good brand, but they don't have any IPS screen in my budget.

It sounds like you don't want or need a 27-inch monitor, which is the ideal size for 2560x1440 resolution. I love 1440p, but it's definitely more expensive and not something to cheap out on. So it sounds like the ideal for you is a 23/24-inch 1080p monitor.

Personally I'm a big fan of 1440p and variable refresh (G-Sync and FreeSync) displays these days, but you're looking at $500+ for those kinds of monitors.

Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with that one (the black version).
I'm hearing a lot of good things about g-sync monitors but I'm not even sure if my gaming habits will change that much (and I'll play on my TV half the time). I'll definitely consider it next year, during sales probably.

Top Bottom