• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak 3 screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
919901_20040805_screen001.jpg

919901_20040805_screen002.jpg

919901_20040805_screen003.jpg

919901_20040805_screen004.jpg

Mr Gump

Banned
The devs are putting too much emphasis on character detail rather than environmental detail....just look at the second shot for instance.

belgurdo

Banned
Deku Tree said:
Looks nice! I still have to pick up Jak 2.

Skip it. Trust me

And Jak 3 doesn't seem to be shaping up to be anything special. I'm more excited about R&C 3, although it's more of the same too

Jak and Daxter is really where it's at. You'd be best to just play that one and skip Jak 2. This one looks like a step down, at least graphically. Horrible character design.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I wasn't aware that PS2 was capable of 1024x768.

The only reason to play Jak 1 is if you want an example of all the things that's wrong with the platform genre. Because that's basically what it is. It falls in the Banjo category. Jak 2 fixed alot of the problems. Much better pacing.

FightyF

Banned
I wasn't aware that PS2 was capable of 1024x768.

I don't know why, but lately a lot of PS2 screens have been at that resolution. EA's been sending out pics are ridiculously high resolutions too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jak and Daxter is really where it's at. You'd be best to just play that one and skip Jak 2
Urgh... Jak 2, although not without it's share of problems, is way better and more interesting game than than the first one. Whether they will successfully fix Jak 2's problems in this sequel, I don't know, but if they do, they'll have a winner. Technically, even if they don't improve the single thing on the old engine, they will still have one of the best looking titles around. Character animtion in Jak 2 was perhaps the best 3D cartoon animation I've ever seen in a game.

I don't know why, but lately a lot of PS2 screens have been at that resolution. EA's been sending out pics are ridiculously high resolutions too.
That way they ensure that magazines can get a nicely printed pictuires.

teh_pwn

They've also seemed to apply X4-X6 AA. These screens are BS.

But I'm sure the game will be fine. I liked the first. haven't picked up the second (don't have time now).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They've also seemed to apply X4-X6 AA. These screens are BS
And how's that any different looking than 99% screens released in the past three years?

It's kinda amazing that people STILL bring up this issue...

teh_pwn said:
They've also seemed to apply X4-X6 AA. These screens are BS.
/QUOTE]

Alot of screens released today run in resolutions not capable by the actual game, and the have fixed AA. This happens for games on all systems, not just the PS2.

teh_pwn

I have seen Xbox do it as well, but...

PC can actually do the bloated images.

And I may be wrong, but I don't think Nintendo has ever released bloated screens with unrealistic image quality and resolution.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Marconelly said:
It's kinda amazing that people STILL bring up this issue...

"I didn't know PS2 was capable of 1024 x 768" is right up there with "HA, I didn't know they were still making games for the N64!"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Hello Naughty Dog, let me introduce you to your new friend contrast. USE IT
That's what TV controls are for! :p

Seriously, though, I thought Jak 2 had some really nice color usage - cartoony but not "wtf happened to my retinas" jarringly colorful.

And I may be wrong, but I don't think Nintendo has ever released bloated screens with unrealistic image quality and resolution.
You are very wrong.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
teh_pwn said:
I have seen Xbox do it as well, but...

PC can actually do the bloated images.

If you're going to complain about how accurately these images represent the game you might as well also complain about the fact that they're still images and they're being shown on a computer monitor through a web browser app which is not how the final game will be presented.

I imagine you probably want to avoid ever looking at a game magazine as well.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
MGS:TTS's first couple of screens were "bloated screens with unrealistic image quality and resolution". I dont know about any others though.

Gattsu25

Banned
kaching said:
If you're going to complain about how accurately these images represent the game you might as well also complain about the fact that they're still images and they're being shown on a computer monitor through a web browser app which is not how the final game will be presented.

I imagine you probably want to avoid ever looking at a game magazine as well.

It's a loosing fight...idiots will continue to show their stupidity. It's almost as if they haven't seen a single PR game screen in the past 2 years

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
kaching:
The preference is to get captures taken of the actual detail level for a game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Lazy8s said:
kaching:

The preference is to get captures taken of the actual detail level for a game.

and we all know Jak 2 was a low-res jaggy mess

there are companies far worse in this regard (team ninja's over 1600*1200 screens come to mind...don't remember exactly how large they were...but their JPEGs were over 3MB, each)

Lazy8s

Some Team Ninja games, like DOA: XBV and DOAU, actually look like they might be running some AA via supersampling in-game. Anyway, I think the companies that are far worse misrepresenters are the ones doing this with games which don't even output full-res at each update (proscan) like was done early with PS2 - Gran Turismo 3, Jak and Daxter, and now Gran Turismo 4.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gattsu:

Maybe...but I can't in clear conscience walk away from the fight to preserve some shred of common sense among my fellow human beings. ;)

Lazy8s: Maybe that's YOUR preference but I couldn't really care less. There's so many variables about how these pics might display on your computer vs. mine that there's really no point in expecting these pics to try to be as accurate as possible. What if I'm looking at this from work on a crappy company PC that's set for 256 colors? Woops, there's goes detail, lost to color compression. And then what if I look at this on my much higher spec'd home pc set to high resolution like 1600x1200, which would make 640x480 res images seem smaller than they'd be on TV? What if you have a Mac instead of PC which has different onscreen color management? Etc.

It's pointless to prefer "accuracy" in a medium that's not the intended medium of the final product. Other than to forward a partisan agenda...

At least they're not editing the screenshots, adding photoshopped lens flare and pasting out-of-place higher polycount models over the screen! :p

Coen

I seriously feel both Naughty Dog and Insomniac are driving their franchises into the ground by releasing a new game within a year. Why don't they release their games every 2 years. That way, both companies will get full attention and a new Jak/Rachet is actually something spells, not same-old, same-old.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I seriously feel both Naughty Dog and Insomniac are driving their franchises into the ground by releasing a new game within a year
ND did spent 2 years between J&D and Jak 2, though.

Coen said:
I seriously feel both Naughty Dog and Insomniac are driving their franchises into the ground by releasing a new game within a year. Why don't they release their games every 2 years. That way, both companies will get full attention and a new Jak/Rachet is actually something spells, not same-old, same-old.
Didn't really hurt either company back in their Crash/Spyro days.

Lazy8s

kaching:
There's so many variables about how these pics might display on your computer vs. mine that there's really no point in expecting these pics to try to be as accurate as possible.
The existence of uncontrollable variables (differences in monitors, settings, visional biologies) does not negate the significance of controllable action (whether the devs choose to capture an image from the game's actual level of detail). The weather can't be predicted with complete certainty, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to forecast it. Crime can never be completely wiped out, but that doesn't mean we should give up trying to prevent it.

Gattsu25

Banned
lazy:

jakfixed.jpg

see that? that's the size of the image that the PS2 will render

919901_20040805_screen002.jpg

see that? that's still not even as large as the screens that most people will play it on

Lazy8s

I understand that it can help for proportion, but the consequence is that both shots have a higher level of detail and then more definition than the actual game because of the super resolution and/or AA.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lazy8s:

"visional biologies" - good call, I forgot to account for your segmented eyes :p

As for putting screenshots in the same context of importance to human civilization as forecasting the weather and preventing crime, if you really want to be striving for ever greater accuracy, then you should be lobbying for an end to posting of screenshots ENTIRELY on the web and instead demanding that discs be sent out to console owners that they can put in the console itself to display these shots full frame on the TV that would normally display the game. Anything else is just settling which, actually, is not unlike what we do with weather forecasting and crime prevention.

Gattsu:

Shouldn't you be taking your own advice from earlier? ;)

Marconelly said:
Urgh... Jak 2, although not without it's share of problems, is way better and more interesting game than than the first one. Whether they will successfully fix Jak 2's problems in this sequel, I don't know, but if they do, they'll have a winner.

I hear this all the time but I just didn't enjoy Jak 2. I beat the game only because I felt obligated to after I purchased it. But Jak 1 had a more adventurous and whimsical feeling to it. I also enjoyed its platforming elements much more (it definitely paid homage to Mario 64 at times). I hated having to trek through that awfully designed city in Jak 2 just to get to another mission. Seriously, I stand by my love for Jak 1. Much MUCH more fun. The whole gun angle is just so trite.

Squeak

Fafalada said:
I guess they hired even more 17year old goths to write script for this one...
LOL :D
That sentence pretty much sums up why Jak 2 was such a poor game, and why Jak 3 almost certainly will be too.

Top Bottom